Study Guide on Ancient Greece
Identification: (Why are the following people important to history?)
Achilles, Odysseus, Helen, Paris
Zeus, Athena, Poseidon
Athenians, Metics, slaves
Draco, Solon, Cleisthenes
Socrates, Plato, Aristotle
Euclid, Hippocrates, Herodotus, Sophocles
Alexander the Great
1. How did the geography of Greece help create a culture of independent city-states?
2. What does the word arete mean, and what was its importance in Mycenaean culture? Why did the Greeks leave this idea behind when the polis world developed?*
3. Who was Homer? What were the gods like according to his works?
4. What was the Greek polis? What were some of its characteristics?
5. What were the following forms of government in Ancient Greece: a monarchy, aristocracy, democracy and tyranny?
6. What did the development of the hoplite phalanx have to do with changes in government in Greece?
7. What three social classes existed in Sparta? How was this different in Athens?
8. What was expected of a citizen in Sparta? How was this different in Athens?
9. How was Solon’s law code different from that of Draco?
10. What system of government was created by Cleisthenes? How did it work?
11. What started the Persian Wars, and how were the Greeks victorious?
12. What was the purpose of the Delian League and how did it lead to the Age of Pericles?
13. What brought about the Peloponnesian War, and who finally won? How?
14. Why was Socrates put to death?
15. What did Euclid, Hippocrates, Herodotus and Sophocles contribute to Greek culture?
16. How did Philip of Macedon conquer the Greek city states?
17. What motivated Alexander the Great to conquer much of the Middle East?
18. What was Hellenistic culture?
Wednesday 10/22: Ch. 5, secs. 1-3
Thursday 10/23: Ch. 5, secs. 4-5
Monday 10/27: Ch. 6, sec. 3, skim secs. 1, 2 and 4 for answers to questions.
Tuesday, 10/21: Greece Map Assignment
Thursday, 10/23: Concept questions 1-13
Monday, 10/27: Eyewitness Account Assignment (see below)
Tuesday, 10/28: Test on Ancient Greece
Eyewitness Account Assignment
Choose any event we cover in the unit on Ancient Greece and write an account as if you had been there to see it. Explain what happened from the point of view of whatever role you choose to take, making sure to include how you feel about the events you describe. Give enough background so that I know for sure what you are talking about. Your paper should be about a page in length, and must be typed. You must also include one bibliographic citation for one additional source (You may not use the class textbook for this!!!) Internet sources are fine.