Lesson adapted from CyberGuide by Lynn Patterson http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/score/afolk/afolksg1.html
African cultures, like many other cultures have proverbs. Proverbs are short sayings with a message that teaches a lesson. In this activity you will learn more about African proverbs.
In this activity, you will visit sites on the internet to read African proverbs. Next, you will pick you favorite proverb and write a paragraph explaining in your own words, what the proverb means. Finally, you will create a bumper sticker with a picture showing what the proverb means and write the proverb under your illustration.
Exploring the Web
1. Visit one of the following web sites to read various African Proverbs.
2. Pick one proverb that applies to your life.
3. Copy the proverb and paraphrase/explain its meaning.
African Proverbs, Sayings, and Stories http://www.afriprov.org/
Creating a Product
1. Pick your proverb
2. Write an interpretation of the proverb. In your paragraph, explain in your own words, what the lesson of the proverb is and what it means.
3. Option 1: Using a draw or paint program on the computer, word process your proverb, and illustrate it using African symbols you've found either on the internet. Copy your interpretation of the proverb on the back of your paper
Option 2: If you can't use a draw or paint program, copy your proverb on a plain white piece of paper with your best handwriting, and illustrate your proverb with African art and/or symbols using art work that you draw by hand. Copy your interpretation of the proverb on the back of your paper.