Why Soccer for the Cure™?



Download 12.53 Kb.
Date conversion31.05.2016
Size12.53 Kb.
Why Soccer for the Cure™?

Soccer for the Cure™ began due to the success of the Volley for the Cure program and as a way for athletic students, coaches and teams to spread the life saving message of early detection of breast cancer to their families, friends and communities.

A Soccer for the Cure™ match is a regular season high school soccer match that is designated as an awareness and fundraising match. The goal is to pack the stands with Pink!  Players, coaches, parents and schools are encouraged to get involved!

Fundraising generated through a Soccer for the Cure™ event will be donated to the local Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Affiliate, working to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.

Early detection saves lives in the fight against breast cancer. By encouraging early education and awareness for the young women participating in Soccer for the Cure™ events, we are working as a community towards the future, and towards a world without breast cancer.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure®

Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. Moved by Susan’s compassion for others and commitment to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer.

Though Susan lost her battle with the disease, her legacy lives on through the work of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the organization Nancy started in her honor. Komen for the Cure is the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1.9 billion since its inception in 1982. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.

Across the country, that promise is upheld by a network of 122 local Affiliate offices. At the heart of each Affiliate is a person or group of people who, like Susan, wanted to make a difference.



Our Promise

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure promise: to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.



Komen Ohio Affiliate Network

Thanks to survivors, volunteers and activists dedicated to the fight against breast cancer, the Komen Affiliate Network is the nation's largest private funder of community-based breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs.

75% of the funds raised by each local Affiliate go toward funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women. The remaining 25% supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.

There are four Komen Affiliate’s in Ohio, they include: Komen Northeast Ohio, Komen Northwest Ohio, Komen Greater Cincinnati and Komen Columbus. For a map of the counties covered by each Affiliate please click here. (Download Affiliate map PDF)

Link to each Affiliate’s website above –

Komen Northeast Ohio: http://www.komenneohio.org/

Komen Northwest Ohio: http://www.komennwohio.org/

Komen Greater Cincinnati: http://www.komencincinnati.org/site/PageServer



Komen Columbus: http://komencolumbus.org/

How do I get started?

  1. Designate a match during your team’s regular season schedule as a Soccer for the Cure™ game

  2. Register your team or download the PDF hERE **Link to http://www.komenneohio.org/soccer-for-the-cure/register.html

  3. Order Soccer for the Cure™ t-shirts **Link to http://www.komenneohio.org/soccer-for-the-cure/merchandise.html 

  4. Begin Fundraising

  5. Get the Word Out!

  6. Have fun, educate & fundraise on game day!

  7. Send all donations to your local Susan G. Komen for the Cure Affiliate (Link to Affiliate map PDF), Click here for more information on handling donations **Link to http://www.komenneohio.org/soccer-for-the-cure/donations.html

Questions?

Please contact Lauren Barbour at lbarbour@komenneohio.org with the subject line Soccer for the Cure


The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page