|Week 15 Reading Questions:
Make a note of your favorite passages and proof texts to bring up in our discussion.
Hallie, "Lest Innocent Blood be Shed" (le Chambon):
1. Explain the religious motivations of Le Chambon. How can Andre (and Tutu) hold the same beliefs as the war-loving, poor-hating, oh-so-patriotic, and "Only people who go to my church and act like me are loved by God" Christians we see in our society? What explains the difference?
2. Describe the character and motivations of Andre, then summarize how he would answer the following: Are humans good or bad? What motivates/enables human beings to carry out acts of evil? What compels certain people to devote themselves to being rescuers?
3. Describe the character and motivations of Magda, then summarize how she would answer the following: Are humans good or bad? What motivates/enables human beings to carry out acts of evil? What compels certain people to devote themselves to being rescuers?
4. Compare the different motivations for these two rescuers, the religious-philosophical motivations of Andre and the impossible-to-articulate motivations of Magda. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? Which do you see in the majority of rescuers you have heard or read about?
5. Which rescuer do you like more and which one is like you, Andre or Magda? And, so, what kind of motivation and character do you have as a rescuer? What will your role be? How can we imitate this kind of rescue work?
6. Are there any favorite passages that don't apply to the above that we need to talk about?
7. What else should we discuss?