Vienna and the world heritage



Download 149.03 Kb.
Date conversion25.02.2016
Size149.03 Kb.
VIENNA AND THE WORLD HERITAGE
The historic centre of Vienna was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in December 2001. The listing of Vienna’s inner city among the UNESCO World Heritage sites is an acknowledgement of our historical achievements in the fields of urban construction, architecture and music, acknowledgement of which we are justifiably proud.
The City of Vienna is aware of the responsibility that listing involves. Therefore, it has made large and successful efforts on the one hand to protect the historical heritage and on the other hand to develop the city.
It is therefore very gratifying to see that contemporary buildings are beginning to make their presence felt to the appropriate extent throughout the city. They continue Vienna’s famous architectural history and are already attracting a large number of visitors today – alongside the traditional historical structures dating back to the Middle Ages, the Baroque, the 19th century and the beginnings of Modernism.
A city cannot be cocooned. The awareness and responsibility for its historical heritage must be brought into line with Vienna’s role as a cosmopolitan city. Not least as part of its responsibilities as a World Heritage site, Vienna must continue in the future to be a prosperous, competitive metropolis in the heart of Europe that is also the site of new, innovative developments and exciting architecture.
Dr. Michael Häupl

Mayor of the City of Vienna


DI Rudolf Schicker

Executive City Councillor for Urban Development and Transport



THE DEVELOPMENT WORLDWIDE
The care and protection of landmarks at international level are one of the functions of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientifics and Cultural Organization), founded in 1945.
The decisive step towards cultural and national heritage protection was taken during the 17th UNESCO general conference held in Paris in 1972, at which the “Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage” was approved.
The decisive impetus for this agreement was the fact that our heritage is increasingly and visibly threatened with destruction, not only by conventional decay, but also because of changes in social and economic conditions.
The Convention divides monuments into:
• “Cultural Heritage”, i.e. single monuments, such as works of architecture, sculptures or paintings, ensembles and sites;

• “Natural Heritage”, i.e. works of nature, such as waterfalls, geological and physiographical phenomena and so on;

• “Mixed Ensembles”, i.e. examples in which man-made structures are combined with nature.
As of the beginning of 2005, the World Heritage List includes 611 cultural, 154 natural and 23 mixed sites – i.e. a total number of 788 sites – in 134 countries around the world.

THE AUSTRIAN EXAMPLES

ON THE WORLD HERITAGE LIST
The World Heritage Convention is an international treaty that must be ratified individually by the UNESCO member states. Austria delayed ratification of the Convention for twenty years, and the ratification charter signed by the Federal Ministry and ratified by the Federal Chancellor being deposited with the Director of UNESCO on 18 December 1992. Austria officially became a member state only after the announcement to this effect in the Federal Gazette No. 29/1993 on 18 March 1993.
Being a World Cultural Heritage monument does not mean that everything is enveloped in a protective cocoon. On the contrary, the current approach to monument preservation has long recognised the necessity and importance of “authentic design”, the tension of a dialectical confrontation between the old and the new with the aim of creating a synthesis in the form of a total work. It is here that the concept of quality in the field of architecture and urban development takes on a central role in the planning process in the areas surrounding World Cultural Heritage Sites.
At present there are eight World Heritage Sites in Austria, one of them, Fertö/Neusiedlersee, a cross-border nomination by Austria and Hungary. The nomination of the Innsbruck-Nordkette-Karwendel Alpenpark as a cultural landscape is already under consideration by UNESCO.
THE HISTORICAL CENTRE OF VIENNA
Each World Heritage Site consists of a core and a buffer zone. The nominated area of the historical centre of Vienna comprises a core zone of about 3.7 km2 featuring some 1,600 objects and a buffer zone, covering appr. 4.6 km2 with about 2,950 objects.
From a historical point of view the core zone covers:
• the heart of the city dating back to the Middle Ages, i.e. the city nucleus that was built on the Roman city structure;

• the large building complexes of the Baroque with the radiating city axes that are still characterised by former summer residences and their gardens (Belvedere, Schwarzenberg and the monastery of the Salesian Sisters);

• the restructured urban development of the city during the second half of the 19th century (the Viennese Ringstrasse) with the world-famous buildings that heralded the beginning of Modernism.
The inclusion of the historical centre of Vienna on the World Heritage List was based on three criteria:
1. The urban and architectural qualities as witness to a continuing interchange of values throughout the second millennium.

2. The urban and architectural heritage illustrating three key periods of European cultural and political development – the Middle Ages, the Baroque and the Gründerzeit.

3. The city's universal recognition as the musical capital of Europe.

THE VIENNA MEMORANDUM
UNESCO Conference 20th of May 2005
World Heritage and Contemporary Architecture –

Managing the Historic Urban Landscape


Over 600 urban planners and historic monument preservers from 55 countries gathered in Vienna in May 2005 as part of a UNESCO Conference on the topic of “World Heritage and Contemporary Architecture. Managing the Historic Urban Landscape”. Based on this socalled Vienna Memorandum the 15th General Assembly of States Parties to the World Heritage Convention, held at Paris Headquarters last October, adapted an important Declaration on the Conservation of Historic Urban Landscapes.
Vienna today is not only renowned for its worldfamous historic buildings; the city’s appearance is also determined by many new buildings and interventions in the historic core which, despite their generally high architectural quality, are, above all amongst the citizens of Vienna, a regular topic for criticism or at least discussion. The “Vienna Memorandum” adopted at the end of the Conference can be seen as the first step towards the coexistence of historic and contemporary architecture. The major precondition was the positioning of the concept of the “historic landscape” as the focal point of considerations and strategies.

SCHÖNBRUNN PALACE
1130 Vienna
Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, Nikolaus Pacassi et al., 1693 ff.
Since 1992: General restoration according to scientific criteria

Architect: MANFRED WEHDORN

Structural Engineering: Johann Stella and Walter Stengel

Client: Schloss Schönbrunn Kultur- und BetriebsgesmbH.
Since 1992, when Schloss Schönbrunn Kultur- und Betriebsges.m.b.H. was founded, the ensemble as a whole has been undergoing a systematic and purposeful restoration according to scientific criteria. Examples include the restoration of the Gisela Apartment (1999-2002) and the Crown Prince Room (2001/02), the restoration of important staterooms on the first storey (including the Vieux-Laque Room, 2001-03), the reconstruction of the Ehrenhof and forecourt (1997/98) and the restoration of the façades (west façade 1999/2000, the south steps 2001-04).
The overall aim of all these measures at Schönbrunn is to preserve the original building as handed down over history. However, new functions and uses also require a contemporary formal language. Particular examples of this are the rearrangement of the visitor flow in the main building (1994-99) and the infrastructural measures this required, and the four modern courtyard roofings needed to create a stable climate area.
SCHÖNBRUNN – GLORIETTE
1130 Vienna, Schönbrunn Palace
Former Imperial Garden House

Johann Ferdinand Hetzendorf von Hohenberg, 1775


1993-95: Consolidation and re-glazing of the central colonnades

Architect: REINHARD EISTERER

Since 1996: Café-Restaurant

Architect: FRANZISKA ULLMANN

Artistic contributions: Akelei Sell, Rainer Füreder

Client: Schloss Schönbrunn Kultur- und BetriebsgesmbH.
The Gloriette was constructed in 1775 in Schönbrunn Gardens to commemorate the victory at the battle of Kolin. The central projection was glazed fifteen years later. It was used by Franz I as a breakfast pavilion.
The new use of the Gloriette assumed that the glazing would be restored, even though it had been removed around 1926.
Particular attention is due to architect Franziska Ullmann's interior design that leaves the intersection of the room with the axis of Schönbrunn Palace free of all furnishings.
The interior is divided into a number of squares containing the bar, standing tables and the coffee-house areas. The individual elements stand freely in the room, without touching the walls. The light screens designed by artists and serving to divide up the room once darkness falls are an additional element worth noting.
The viewing terrace is still open to all visitors to Schönbrunn Palace and Gardens, and is not included in the commercial use.

SEMPER-DEPOT
1060 Vienna, Lehargasse 6-8
Former k. k. Hoftheater Kulissendepot (Court theatre scenery depot)

Gottfried Semper and Karl Hasenauer, 1874-77


Since 1996: Academy of Fine Arts studio building

Architect: CARL PRUSCHA

Head of restoration: Wolfgang Baatz

Client: BIG-Bundesimmobilien Ges.m.b.H
Unused for decades, and once even threatened with demolition, the former Court theatre scenery depot has been given a new lease of life as a studio building for the Academy of Fine Arts.
The only surviving utilitarian building by Gottfried Semper in Vienna is marked by its unusual ground plan in the form of a triangle with the corners cut off, while a transversal wall with large doors divides the interior into two sections, the “Prospekthof” open up to the roof, and the hall-like rooms above each other on either side of the central wall, each with three rows of cast-iron columns.
The restoration is characterised by subtle sensitivity for the preservation of the monument. Wherever possible, the natural patina was left unchanged, and the facades were also preserved in their original condition. Bullet holes, blunted corners and the patina are today living testimony to the building's age and eventful past.

PALM HOUSE
1010 Vienna, Burggarten

Friedrich Ohmann, 1901-07


1995-98: Consolidation and restoration of the historical building

Architect: HERBERT PREHSLER

Client: Burghauptmannschaft Österreich

Since 1998: Restaurant

Architects: EICHINGER ODER KNECHTL

Client: Andreas and Barbara Böhm
Friedrich Ohmann's Palm House in the Burggarten, an elegant steel and glass Jugendstil construction, presents an interior whose height, breadth and spaciousness are unequalled in Vienna.
The 15 m high room of the central projection, entirely glazed with the exception of the rear wall, is today home to a popular restaurant. Its success is due not least to the interior design strategy that refused from the very start to compete with Ohmann's construction. The main elements of the interior design are a long bar, an open kitchen, a new level for a small office and simple but comfortable furniture for the guests.
Seven palm trees in the longitudinal axis of the room are encased in “technical” furnishings containing the cables and the waiters' work stations. The remarkable room with its loose arrangement of tables, chairs and benches can accommodate a total of 150 persons.

PARLIAMENT BUILDING
Vienna 1., Dr.-Karl-Renner-Ring 3/Schmerlingplatz
Theophil Hansen, 1871–1883,

Pallas Athena Fountain by Carl Kundmann, 1898–1902,

Horse Tamers by Josef Lax, 1898–1901

Façade and gable renovation, 1996–2001,

Restoration of external sculptures since 2000
Architects:

HERBERT BEIER (Forecourt of Parlament Building)

GEISSWINKLER & GEISSWINKLER (Visitor´s Center)

Client:

Republic of Austria, Parliamentary Administration Vienna


NEW VISITORS’ CENTRE AND REDESIGN OF OPEN SPACES
By redesigning the forecourt, the area in front of the Parliament Building was transformed into an urbanistically attractive site; defusing the parking space problem made it moreover possible to recover part of Theophil Hansen’s original design concept.
The structural condition of the Austrian Parliament Building, one of the most important monumental edifices along the Ringstrasse, called not only for the renovation and adaptation of the building as such but also for a rehabilitation of the forecourt ensemble.
Moreover, an underground car park was built in Schmerlingplatz.
After the ramps had been temporarily taken down, their reconstruction led to the addition of two underground levels which permitted the installation of both a new Visitors’ Centre and a lift to ensure barrier-free access to the main building. – In the forecourt area, the Pallas Athena group, the statues of the Historians and the Horse Tamers as well as the bronze candelabra and flagpoles were renovated.

REDOUTENSÄLE

1010 Vienna, Hofburg Palace, Josefsplatz

Building substance that has grown over time since 1631

Existing room structure: Jean-Nicolas Jadot, 1744

Last decisive conversion: Ferdinand Kirschner, 1893

1994-97: Restoration and Reconstruction following the 1992 fire

Since 1997: Conference and Events Centre

Architect: MANFRED WEHDHORN

Structural engineering: Johann Stella and Walter Stengel

Wall and ceiling paintings: Josef Mikl

Client: Burghauptmannschaft Österreich

During the night of 26 to 27 November 1992, the Redoutensäle in the Hofburg Palace

caught fire. The Baroque roof, the ceiling, the footings of the walls and the floor of the

“Grosser Redoutensaal” (Large Assembly Room) were completely destroyed.

The restoration and reconstruction of the Redoutensaal wing was carried out according

to scientific principles and represents one of the most important works of Austrian monument

preservation since the reconstruction of the city in the post-war period. The

methodological principle of restoring only what had survived the fire and using a

contemporary formal language to replace what was missing is one of the most valuable

but also controversial contributions to the discussion between the old and the new in

architecture. It is revealed here most impressively in the ceiling and wall paintings by

Josef Mikl in the large Redoutensaal.

Altogether, restoration and reconstruction comprise around one hundred rooms covering

about 11,170 m2 total floor space. The reconstruction of the building took account of

a use as a conference and events centre.

UNIVERSITY CAMPUS

General Hospital

Isidor Canevale, 1784

Since 1998: University Campus

1080 Vienna, Alser Strasse 4



Architects: ARGE ARCHITEKTEN ALTES AKH

Hugo Potyka, Friedrich Kurrent & Johannes Zeininger, Sepp Frank & Rudolf Zabrana, Ernst M. Kopper



Client: University of Vienna

After the General Hospital moved to its new premises, the City of Vienna allowed the old

site, whose buildings date back to the 18th century, to be used by the University.

In 1991, following an expertise, it was decided to implement a model project developed

by the Friedrich Kurrent & Johannes Zeininger Joint Venture. The concept underlying the

project, in which other architects from the expertise procedure were involved, was to

create a typology for the interventions that were required. This is characterised by the

new stairwells and a number of steel and glass structures placed in front of the historic

wings to create the connecting passageways needed.

The new design suggests the self-evidence of the architectural interventions, light and

in accordance with the simplicity of the historical structure.

MUSEUMSQUARTIER VIENNA

1070, Museumsplatz 1

former court stables

Johann Bernhard and Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach, 1719-1723



Since 2001: Centre for Contemporary Art

Architects: ORTNER & ORTNER and MANFRED WEHDORN

Structural engineering: FCP-Fritsch, Chiari und Partner, Ziviltechniker GmbH.

Project management: Markus Spiegelfeld

Client:

Republic of Austria and the City of Vienna

(represented by MuseumsQuartier Errichtungs- und Betriebsgesellschaft mbH.)

The new Austrian centre for contemporary art is housed in the area around the former

court stables, in immediate proximity to the Museum of Fine Arts and the Natural History

Museum. From an architectural point of view, the central main courtyard of the historical

ensemble forms a spacious open-air foyer to the three large new buildings, the

Leopold Museum, the MUMOK Museum of Modern Art Foundation Ludwig Vienna and

the “Kunsthalle Wien”. These new buildings are block-like “monolithic” structures each

built in a characterising material of their own (white limestone, dark basalt lava and

brick respectively).

Occupying floor space of around 60,000 m2, the MuseumsQuartier is one of the ten

largest museum districts in the world; the 2.5 million visitors each year are impressive

testimony to the MuseumsQuartier’s significance in Austrian cultural life.



MUSEUMSQUARTIER VIENNA

1070, Museumsplatz 1

Masterplan: ORTNER & ORTNER and MANFRED WEHDORN

The MuseumsQuartier Vienna museum district is determined by a wide variety of uses.

Alongside the three major museums and the City of Vienna's events hall, there are many

other cultural institutions, including the “Architektur Zentrum Wien”, the “Tanzquartier”

dance theatre, the “ZOOM” children's museum and the “Dschungel Wien” children's

theatre. Young art activities (“Quartier 21”, in the Baroque wing on Museumsplatz),

galleries, shops, ateliers, apartments and cafés make a substantial contribution to the

success of the MuseumsQuartier.



2001: Architektur Zentrum Wien (additional interior works)

Library: Interior and furnishings

Architects: CHRISTOPH FELDBACHER, STEPHAN SEEHOF



Café Una: Interior and furnishings

Architects: LACATON & VASSAL (spatial concept)

CHRISTOPH FELDBACHER, STEPHAN SEEHOF (final planning, furnishings)

Artistic contributions: Asiye Kolbai-Kafalier

Client: Architektur Zentrum Wien

1999-2001: Tanzquartier Wien

Architect: WILLI FRÖTSCHER

Client: Kulturamt der Stadt Wien

2001: Zoom Kindermuseum

Architects: POOL (interior decorarion)

Client: Verein interaktives Kindermuseum

2000-04: Dschungel Wien. Theaterhaus für junges Publikum

Architects: WILLI FRÖTSCHER, CHRISTIAN LICHTENWAGNER

Client: Theaterhaus für Kinder – Kindertheater Ges.m.b.H

2001-02: Quartier 21

Architects: AWG_ALLESWIRDGUT, BEHF, QUERKRAFT, PPAG

Client: Museumsquartier Errichtungs- und BetriebsgesmbH.

JUDENPLATZ

Judenplatz, 1010 Vienna



1998 – 2000: Holocaust Memorial

Artist: RACHELWHITEREAD

Architect: Jabornegg & Pálffy

Client: City of Vienna

Judenplatz was the centre of what was once the Jewish Town, first mentioned in documents

in 1294. It was here that stood the Or-Sarua Synagogue, the Jewish School and

the Ritual Bath. This first Jewish community in Vienna fell victim to a pogrom in 1420/21,

in which 800 inhabitants of the district were expelled or murdered and the buildings

were destroyed.

Rachel Whiteread’s Holocaust Memorial stands on the ruins of the former synagogue,

and commemorates the 65,000 Austrian Jews murdered under the Nazis. The outer wall

of the Memorial consists of books cast in concrete, their spines facing inwards. A concrete

library, books that no-one can read, sentences that cannot be found.



SCHWARZENBERGPLATZ

1010/1030 Vienna

Design of the square with complete development and with the Schwarzenberg monument as the central

point, Heinrich Ferstel, 1859

Construction of the fountain, Anton Gabrielli, 1873

Square extended when the Wien river was covered over, Vienna Urban Building Department, 1894-1902



Since 2004: “VIENNA LIMELIGHT”

Architect: ALFREDO ARRIBAS

Client: City of Vienna

Implementation: Municipal Department 28 – Vienna Highways Administration and Road Construction

Schwarzenbergplatz is one of the most significant Gründerzeit squares in Vienna. The

severity of the monumental site is mitigated by the view of the jets of the fountain

against the silhouettes of two Baroque palaces, Belvedere and Schwarzenberg. In the

axis behind the fountain stands the monument to the liberation of the city by the Red

Army (constructed in 1945).

Determined by architecture and monuments that reflect Austria's eventful history,

Schwarzenbergplatz has been and still is also dominated by traffic. Alongside measures

to regulate the flow of traffic, the new design, the result of an international competition,

is above all based on the energy of light. Pavement lighting follows the axis of the

square, while two rows of street lights lead from the Ringstrasse to the fountain. Road

surfaces, cycle tracks and pedestrian areas are visually distinguished from each other,

and in combination with the lighting effects create a harmonious overall impression.

ALBERTINAPLATZ

The square was created in 1945 by the destruction of the Philipphof. In architectural

terms, the square is determined by the Albertina, the Opera House and other Gründerzeit

buildings, some with storeys added and attics converted in the very recent past

(Hotel Sacher, Architect Sepp Frank, and the Goethehof, Silberpfeil Architects). Alfred

Hrdlicka’s “Memorial against War and Fascism” and the design of the entrance to the

Albertina with the “Soravia Wing” by Hans Hollein have already acquired the status of

landmarks.



ALBERTINA COLLECTION OF DRAWINGS

Built as Palais Taroucca, 1747,

Converted by Louis Montoyer, 1801-1804,

Rebuilt after 1945



1998 – 2001 General restoration and expansion

Architects: E. STEINMAYR and F. H. MASCHER

Client: Burghauptmannschaft Österreich

This major development project for the Albertina comprised two sub-aspects, the

restoration and adaptation for exhibition and administrative functions of the Palais in

the form that had developed and changed through time, and a new building for collecting

and research activities on the side facing the Burggarten and equipped with an

underground storage facility.



2001 – 2003 SORAVIA WING

Architect: HANS HOLLEIN

Client: Hanno und Erwin Soravia

The elegant metal flying roof named after its sponsors covers the Albertina's main

entrance, which is now back at its original location, where the bastion used to stand, for

the first time since the end of the Second World War. An escalator and a lift bridge the

difference between the level of the square and the entrance to the museum proper, creating

a visitor-friendly and barrier-free access to the complex.



KUNSTPLATZ KARLSPLATZ

1010, 1040 Vienna



Architects:

Rüdiger Lainer, Adolf Krischanitz



Landscape planners:

Anna Detzelhofer, Cordula Loidl-Reisch, Jakob Fina



Lighting design for Resselpark:

Victoria Coeln



Commissioned by:

City of Vienna

As a traffic hub close to the city centre, Karlsplatz has been the object of numerous

urbanistic plans and considerations regarding its comprehensive redesign ever since

the mid-19th century.

While taking account of the surrounding historicist structures and scientific-cultural

institutions, the project “Kunstplatz Karlsplatz” was to (re-)create an equally attractive

and safe urban space. The long-term goal lies in rendering the surrounding institutions

visually and physically more immediate andlinking them to manifold spaces embodying

different spaces and moods.

The traffic and security situation in the planning area, which extends from the Secession

Building, Kunsthalle, Vienna University of Technology, Church of St. Charles Borromeo

and Vienna Museum to the Musikverein and Künstlerhaus, was to be improved, and Resselpark

and Rosa-Mayreder-Park were to be given a more appealing appearance.

The project was completed in 2006; today, “Kunstplatz Karlsplatz” may be called a cornerstone

of Vienna’s regional and international positioning as a city of the arts.



RINGSTRASSE CONCEPT

Vienna City Administration

Municipal Department 33 – Public Lighting

In 1857, it was decided to demolish Vienna’s medieval city walls. The thus vacated area

was built up along a newly planned, ring-shaped boulevard, the Ringstrasse. Together

with the trees and buildings lining it, this boulevard forms an outstanding Gründerzeit

ensemble comprising several monumental structures, such as Vienna City Hall, Vienna

University and the Burgtheater.

The lighting system dating from the 1960s required urgent renewal. The new illumination

concept covers the entire, over four kilometres long Ringstrasse. The implementation

of this concept allows for a novel, uniform and attractive look and at the same time

preserves the historic appeal. Thus is was possible to reduce the number of lighting

poles and increase illumination intensity despite lower energy input due to state-of-theart

technology. Special illumination schemes were developed for individual zones, such

as the areas in front of the State Opera or Parliament. The lighting of cycling tracks and

pedestrian paths, too, was improved throughout, thus deliberately avoiding potential

anxiety zones.

The implementation of the new illumination concept was accompanied by a rehabilitation

of the road and sidewalk surfaces.

HISTORIC PARKS AND GARDENS

Vienna City Administration

Municipal Department 42 – Parks and Gardens

Federal Gardens Vienna and Innsbruck

With the inscription of Vienna’s historic centre on the UNESCO World Heritage List in

December 2001, this distinction was also conferred on the important open spaces,

green areas and parks situated in the core and buffer zones of the World Heritage Site.

In their totality, these represent different eras and styles of Viennese horticultural art

ranging from Baroque gardens to contemporary creations.

Some of the open and green spaces situated in the World Heritage area are under monument

protection, e.g. Stadtpark and Rathauspark. Starting with an investigation into

the history of each green zone, they are to be refurbished – and possibly even reinterpreted

– according to the principles of monument protection for horticultural artworks

and will be moreover adapted and fine-tuned to meet new needs, above all those of

young user groups. The objective is a vibrant World Heritage, including parks and gardens,

that fulfils the needs of user groups of all ages.

DANUBE CANAL PROJECT

1010,1020 Vienna

Originally a natural subsidiary branch of the Danube

First training under Baron Hoyos, 1598–1600

Current outlook established during the reign of Emperor Francis Joseph I, 1870–1875

The fascination exerted by Danube Canal is due to its vibrant density and diversity, the

close interaction of dynamic business life, shopping crowds, pubs and restaurants,

water and nature.

New projects are to further intensify the diversity and experience appeal of the Canal

zone and thus to generate a new urban space for leisure, relaxation, eating and drinking

right at the heart of the city. Thus interesting and innovative projects will be added

to the existing Summer Stage, FLEX or Urania in the next few years, e.g. the already

anchored swimming-pool boat, the immensely popular Hermann beach bar or a

planned culture boat. The Danube boat shuttle between the “twin cities” Vienna and

Bratislava likewise reaches the city centre via Danube Canal. The new Underground station

Schottenring (U2 line) moreover offers another route linking the historic centre to

the 2nd and, respectively, 9th municipal districts (Leopoldstadt and Alsergrund).

SHOP ENTRANCES

Vienna has a long tradition in the design of shop entrances, which, dating from the 19th

century to the present, play an important role in creating the street scene and its highquality

architecture.

Kärntner Strasse, Graben and Kohlmarkt have always been prime addresses for those

who inevitable associate a visit to the inner city with a high-calibre shopping experience.

The shops of enterprises with a tradition dating back to the monarchy can be

found cheek to jowl with stores of famous international brands.



1895: J. & L. Lobmeyr

1010 Vienna, Kärntner Strasse 26-28



Architect: ALOIS WURM-ARNKREUZ

Client: J. & L. Lobmeyr

1910/13: Schneidersalon Knize (tailor's)

1010 Vienna, Graben 13



Architect: ADOLF LOOS

Client: Knize & Comp.

1964/65: Retti Candles

1010 Vienna, Kohlmarkt 8-10



Architect: HANS HOLLEIN

Client: Marius Retti

1992/93: Knize Lady

1010 Vienna, Graben 13



Architect: PAOLO PIVA

Client: Knize & Comp.

1999/2000: Chanel

1010 Vienna, Kohlmarkt 6



Design: PETER MARINO

Implementation: PETER DURSTMÜLLER

Client: Chanel GmbH.

2004: Manner am Stephansplatz

1010 Vienna, Stephansplatz 7



Architects: BWM-Architects and Partner

Client: Josef Manner & Company AG

ATTIC CONVERSIONS

Attic conversions, extensions and extra storeys represent a new kind of urban renewal.

The many positive examples are, however, in contrast with projects that have been justifiably

criticised. In order to ensure protection of monuments and the cityscape, regulations

have been drafted to restrict the possibility of extending roofs.

1010 Vienna, Falkestrasse 6

Carl Mayer, 1902



1987-88: Attic conversion

Architect: COOP HIMMELB(L)AU

Client: Schuppich, Sporn, Winischhofer,

Rechtsanwälte, Vienna



1040 Vienna, Wiedner Hauptstrasse 12

Built as a staging around 1680



1991-94: Extra storey to the hotel “Das Triest”

Architect: PETER LORENZ (CONCEPTION)

Client: Alexander Maculan

1010 Vienna, Graben 27, 28

and Goldschmiedgasse 9

Otto Meixner, 1874



1992-95: Attic conversion

Architect: ORTNER & ORTNER

Client: Hellfried Strasser

1010 Vienna, Michaelerplatz 2

Former Herberstein Palais,

Carl König, 1895-97

1998-99: Attic conversion

Architect: KARL LANGER

Client: RALT Raiffeisen Leasing GmbH.

1010 Vienna, Stephansplatz 10 und 11

Kurt Jirasko, Otto Loider, 1954/56



In planning since 2002: Attic conversion

Architect: HANS HOLLEIN

Developer: AIV Vienna

1010 Vienna, Goethegasse 1

(“Goethe Hof”)

Anton Ölzelt, Anton Hefft, 1862-63



2003-04: Attic conversion

Architect: SILBERPFEIL-ARCHITEKTEN

Client: Art for Art, Theaterservice GesmbH.

K47”



OFFICE AND COMMERCIAL BUILDING

1010 Vienna, Franz-Josefs-Kai 47

Built 2002/03

Architects: HENKE UND SCHREIECK ARCHITEKTEN

Client: Zürich Kosmos Versicherungen AG

No new buildings had been constructed in the Vienna inner city since Hollein's Haas

Haus, 1985/90. K47 replaced what was known as the Kai Palast on Franz-Josefs-Kai, one

of Vienna's early reinforced concrete buildings dating from 1911/12, built by G. A. Wayss

& Co. to plans by architect Ignaz Reiser, which had to be demolished for structural reasons.

In terms of height and volume, the new building follows its surroundings. The visual

effect is determined by storey-high sun protection shutters made of satin-finished white

glass. They constitute a façade layer that can be controlled individually and that creates

the transition to the adjacent rendered facades. The penthouse is set back from the

body of the building and appears to hover above the roof.

“K47” is impressive proof that a historic town centre can be enriched by new buildings

if their design is of the appropriate quality.



URBAN DEVELOPMENT PROJECT

WIEN-MITTE”

1030 Vienna

2003: Urbanistic competition



Competition-winning masterplan:

HENKE UND SCHREIECK ARCHITEKTEN



Design and Execution:

RGE ARCHITEKTEN WIEN MITTE

(Ortner + Ortner, Neuman & Steiner, Lintl + Lintl)

Project developer:

BAI Bauträger Austria Immobilien GmbH.

The dismal look of this building complex – mostly built in 1962 – and its severely

impaired condition made a structural redesign of the site and its conversion to new uses

an urgent necessity. The vehement discussions conducted in connection with the World

Heritage status of Vienna’s historic centre led to the cancellation of the first project, for

which a legally valid construction permit had already been issued. Only one segment of

that project – the City Tower Vienna (architects: Neumann & Steiner, Ortner & Ortner,

Lintl & Lintl) – was in fact built. The superstructure above the Vienne-Centre railway station

with a multifunctional complex of roughly 80,000 sq m composed of office, hotel,

shopping, restaurant/bar and leisure sections is the biggest project currently underway

in the vicinity of Vienna´s historic centre. Based on a design by the architectural

studio Henke+ Schreieck, the project will be executed through ARGE ARCHITEKTEN

WIEN MITTE. It consists of a U-shaped building of approx. 35 m height, a group of buildings

at its core and a high-rise of approx. 70 m height on the Marxergasse side.

URBAN DEVELOPMENT ZONE

VIENNA MAIN STATION

1100 Vienna

2004 : Urbanistic expert procedure

Winners of master-plan competition:

ARGE Hotz / Hoffmann, Albert Wimmer ZT GmbH



Project developer:

Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB)

The current Southern and Eastern Railway Stations, which were designed as terminals,

will be replaced by a new through station with better links to the existing European railway

network and urban transport system. An attractive new city quarter is to emerge on

the site today occupied by the freight station.

One of the supreme masterpieces of European palace architecture – Belvedere Palace

with its French gardens – is situated in the immediate vicinity. The view from the publicly

accessible Lower Belvedere park to the majestic main building above it must be

paid close attention. For this reason, the project specifications of the international competition

for the new station took scrupulous account of the height development of all

future structures.

A more concrete version of the master-plan adopted by the Vienna City Council was prepared

on the basis of numerous visual and design analyses that also incorporated the

cityscape-related limitations imposed by Belvedere Palace. At the same time, the great

urbanistic importance of the new railway station and surrounding city quarter is given

its due as well.

PROTECTED ZONES & HISTORICAL

CITY PRESERVATION FUND

MUNICIPALITY OF THE CITY OF VIENNA

MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT 19 – ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN PLANNING

In 1972, the first protected zone legislation, known as the “Historical City Preservation

Amendment” was adopted, integrating the provisions on the protection of the historical

centre, and hence the possibility of creating protected zones, into the Vienna building

regulations.

The core area of the Vienna Inner City World Heritage site is in its entirety part of the

“Inner City” and “Ringstrasse” protected zones, thereby ensuring overall protection of

the entire historical city centre. At present, Vienna boasts a total of 115 protected zones

with around 12,000 individual buildings, roughly 8% of the total building stock.

At the same time as the protected zone regulation was adopted in 1972, the Historical

City Preservation Fund was set up, a model of its kind for the whole of Europe. The Fund

assumes – usually in full – the additional costs caused by monument preservation

measures that go beyond a straightforward building renovation. Roughly one third of

the annual subsidies is earmarked for privately owned houses, one third for city-owned

buildings and one third for ecclesiastical buildings.

From the foundation of the Fund to the end of 2004, a total of 3,876 properties benefited

from subsidies of around € 193 million. In the last year for which final figures are

available, 2004, 71 properties were granted around € 5.4 in subsidies.



THE CITY OF VIENNA'S CULTURAL

HERITAGE DATABASE

MUNICIPALITY OF THE CITY OF VIENNA

MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT 7 – CULTURE

MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT 19 – ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN PLANNING



DOCUMENTATION AND INVENTORY

The City of Vienna's Cultural Heritage Database is a computerised scientific inventory of

the architectural, archaeological and historic heritage and can be accessed, including in

graphic form as overview maps, using the City's GIS (Geographic Information System).

The contents available currently cover the protected zones, general information about

buildings, archaeological sites, the historically significant Land Register drawn up under

the emperor Franz II and a guide to Jugendstil architecture.

The buildings were listed methodically in three stages. To begin with, literary data was

collected in digital form, followed by an almost complete rapid stocktaking, and only in

the third and final stage was a detailed inventory created that covers the historically

most valuable areas of the city. This listing of the architectural heritage of the city represents

without doubt one of the most modern inventory systems in Europe. As of the

start of 2005, data is available on computer covering around 50,000 buildings in

Vienna.


VISUAL AXES

AND HIGH-RISE CONCEPT

MUNICIPALITY OF THE CITY OF VIENNA

MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT 19 – ARCHITECTURE

AND URBAN DESIGN

Visual axes, visual links and visual angles play an essential role for the way in which we

perceive the urban tissue; they influence our experience of the city.

A scientific analysis by the Vienna City Administration defined and mapped these identification

points, panoramas and vistas in conjunction with the high-rise concept. A variety

of visual angles characterises those parts of the city where major interventions, e.g.

the construction of high-rises, can only be carried out following assessment of their

compatibility with the historic cityscape.

Areas where no high-rises may be built are defined as “exclusion zones”; according to

the New Guidelines for the Planning and Evaluation of High-rise Projects adopted by the

Vienna City Council in 2002, they comprise the following:

• All protection zones decreed as such in the Vienna Building Code

• All already decreed or planned landscape protection zones according to the Vienna

Nature Protection Act

• All important visual axes and visual links

• As well as all World Heritage Sites in Vienna

VIENNA 3D

MUNICIPALITY OF THE CITY OF VIENNA

MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT 41 –SURVEYORS VIENNA DIGITAL MAP

Geodata offer a detailed description of the surface of the municipal territory of the Austrian

capital. A multi-purpose map, terrain model andthree-dimensional (3D) city model

are key pillarsof any modern urban planning approach.

Moreover, such geodata are a starting-point for analyses and visualisations of spatial

information relating to many other technical areas. In particular, digital 3D models are

successfully used for simulating construction projects as well as for calculating visibility

axes and shadow effects.

The digital 3D city model of Vienna covers the entire municipal territory and is continuously

updated. A detailed roofscape model has been moreover prepared for the historic

centre of Vienna (World Heritage core zone). The use of unequivocal addresses for storing

each 3D building model allows for a combination of the 3D city model with many other

building data relating to Vienna.

THE VIENNA ARCHITECTURE

DECLARATION

MUNICIPALITY OF THE CITY OF VIENNA

MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT 19 – ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN DESIGN

In recent years, municipal politicians and administrators have undertaken manifold

efforts to enhance the quality of planning and architecture in Vienna. Their objectives

and the instruments created for this purpose over the course of time are embodied in a

series of concepts, programmes and guidelines that already serve as the basis of

numerous ongoing procedures and decisions. On this foundation, the Year of Architecture

2005 was made use of to discuss and detail principal positions in the fields of

architecture, planning and construction, as these are of manifest importance for the

development of the city.

The City of Vienna’s principal position regarding this issue aims at:

• Quality of planning and construction

• Transparency of master concepts, objectives and procedures

• Willingness to engage in debates

The aims of the Declaration are defined as follows:

• An attractive and liveable city needs architecture of a high standard

• Politics and administration promote quality in architecture

• Architectural culture also calls for imagination regarding its instruments

FEDERAL OFFICE

OF HISTORIC MONUMENTS

The Austrian Federal Office of Historic Monuments, together with its predecessor organisation,

the K.K. Central Commission zur Erforschung und Erhaltung der Baudenkmale

(Imperial and Royal Central Commission for the Investigation and Preservation of Historic

Buildings) founded in 1850, is one of the oldest specialist institutions of its kind in

the world.

This Office, now a federal authority, is responsible for the cultural heritage throughout

Austria, protecting, maintaining and preserving the country’s cultural monuments. In

the last decade alone, the majority of the monuments presented in this exhibition were

preserved and restored under the supervision of the Federal Office of Historic Monuments

in accordance with the latest guidelines in the field of monument preservation.

These include Schönbrunn Palace and its gardens, the extensive Hofburg site, the Parliament

building, the Semperdepot and the Ceremonial Hall in the Town Hall. The Federal

Office attaches particular importance to the professional maintenance of trail-blazing



buildings of the modern age, such as the Loos building, the inter-war council housing

buildings, the Liesing Employment Office and the Gänsehäufel river bathing area.


The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page