|UNIT TWO ESSAY QUESTIONS
THE FOLLOWING ARE EXAM QUESTIONS FOR YOUR NEXT UNIT TEST. TWO OF THESE QUESTIONS WILL BE RANDOMLY SELECTED; YOU WILL WRITE ON ONE OF THEM.
1. Although the power of the national government increased during the early republic, these developments often face serious opposition. Compare the motives and effectiveness of those who opposed the growing power of the national government in TWO of the following:
Whiskey Rebellion, 1794
Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions, 1798-1799
Hartford Convention, 1814-1815
2. To what extent did the Jeffersonian Republican’s of economic boycott in the years 1807 – 1812 affect the new nation?
3. To what extent was the early United States foreign policy a primarily defensive reaction to actual or perceived threats from Europe? Evaluate with regard to United States foreign policy on TWO major issues during the period from 1789 – 1815.
4. Analyze the contributions of TWO of the following in helping establishing a stable government after the adoption of the Constitution
5. Explain the influence of TWO of the following on the U.S. decision to go to war in 1812.
Embargo policies of Jefferson and Madison
British impressment of American seamen
Settlers’ conflicts with Native Americans
Expansionist goals of the war hawks
6. Analyze the relative importance of Hamilton’s financial plan in defining the philosophy of the Federalists.
7. Evaluate the relative importance of domestic and foreign affairs in shaping American politics in the 1790s.
8. "Since the treaty of Ghent addressed none of the issues for which the United States had fought, the War of 1812 has no positive consequences for the American nation.
Assess the validity of this statement
9. To what extent was the Election of l800 aptly named the Revolution of l800? Respond with reference to 2 of the following areas