Lesson Focus Question: How did Abigail Adams and Martha Washington contribute to the American Revolution?
1. TTW explain to the students that they will participate in a chalk talk activity analyzing text on the following women: Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, and Mary Ludwig Hayes.
2. TSW walk around the room and visit a piece of chart paper with three informational text pieces relating to Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, Pillis Wheatly, and Mary Ludwig Hayes.
Will take 2 days
3. Each group will annotate information gained while reading the text on each of the ladies. TSW write annotations around the text on each individual (important information gained from the text).
Digital Media: Abigail Adams Eminent Woman (1:05) and Martha Washington Eminent Woman (1:15)
Purpose: Why are these women important to our history?
Lesson Focus Question: How did Mary Ludwig Hays contribute to the American Revolution?
1. Once students are at the station they began at they will take a moment to read annotations added by other groups.
2. TTW present each woman by reading annotations written by students and discussing the important role each woman played in the American Revolution.
3. TSW will listen and take notes using graphic organizer. This will be used by students to study for culminating assessment to be given the following week.
Class Discusion: (opitional)
What are examples of ‘jobs’ women held during the AR?
Irony: Despite what the women did in the AR, what could they NOT do?
Digital Media: Mary Ludwig Hays (2:10)
Purpose: What was Mary Ludwig Hays nickname and how did she get that name?
*If time allows Phillis Wheatley Digital Media* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Qw5TzjA4U
Lesson Focus Question: Why did the notion of slavery change for some during the AR?
1. Shared Read / Guided Highlighted Reading: ‘African Americans and the American Revolution’. TSW read the handout and answer the questions provided.
In paragraph 1, how many salves were able to gain freedom by fighting for the British?
In paragraph 2, what did African Americans feel that fighting for freedom meant?
In paragraph 2, which battles did African Americans fight in?
In paragraph 2, what is Peter Salem is famous for?
In paragraph 3, how is Crispus Attucks related to the Boston Massacre?
In paragraph 4, what is Salem Poor famous for?
In paragraph 5, what word means to gain or be given freedom to a group of people? (emancipation)
2. Class Discussion: If you were a slave that was promised freedom after the war, and then was DENIED that freedom, what would you have done?
Opitional (if time allows):
3. Visual Stimulus: TTW provide the class with a painting of an African American in battle at Cowpens. TSW Observe, Question, Reflect on handout. (Library of Congress activity) Discuss.
Digital Stimulus: ‘The Invention of the Cotton Gin’
Purpose for viewing: TSW explain how the cotton gin made an impact on slavery.