UNIT 8 QUALIFIER: Ideological Warfare in a Modern World
Please answer each question thoroughly & accurately, in complete sentences with the appropriate grammar. Attach additional paper, if extra space is needed.
1. What four issues were Allied leaders able to resolve at the Potsdam Conference?
2. What was NATO?
3. How did the Cold War rivalry play out in Egypt?
4. Describe attempts at arms control made by President Eisenhower.
5. Describe Ronald Reagan’s Cold War foreign policy and its results.
6. What economic reforms were put in place in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union, and what were the results?
7. What happened on September 11, 2001?
8. What was the policy of containment, and how was it carried out by the United States?
9. How did the superpowers' military strategies during the Cold War demonstrate the principle of deterrence?
10. What radical changes did Mikhail Gorbachev propose when he came to power in the Soviet Union?
11. How did fears associated with the Cold War affect the lives of ordinary Americans?
12. What agreement was reached between France, Vietnam, the United States, and the Soviet Union regarding Vietnam’s future in 1954?
13. What was the Tet Offensive? What was its significance?
14. How did the Khmer Rouge attempt to rebuild Cambodian society?
15. What were the elements of the economic reform plan in China called the Four Modernizations?
16. What was the Tiananmen Square Massacre, and what did it demonstrate?
17. What problems does China’s enormous population cause, and how has the government responded?
18. Describe politics in South Korea in the years following the Korean War.
19. What problems did Vietnam face after the Vietnam War ended?
20. What was the domino theory? How did it lead to the Vietnam War?
21. Summarize Mao Zedong’s attempts to transform the Chinese economy in the 1950s.
22. What led to the military coup in Egypt in 1952?
23. What regional issues have contributed to major conflicts in the Middle East in recent decades?
24. How did the Iranian Revolution change Iranian society?
25. What excuse did Saddam Hussein use to invade Kuwait in 1990?
26. How did the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, affect U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East?
27. Why did opposition to the government of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi emerge in Iran?
28. What were the causes and effects of Gamal Abdel Nasser’s rise to power in Egypt?
29. How has oil impacted life in the Middle East?
30. What was the Cuban missile crisis and how was it resolved?
31. Name two reasons why the Cuban economy continues to be weak.
32. What have been some positive effects of the Cuban Revolution?
33. What are the arguments against multinational corporations?
34. Why might some people want to limit the number of migrants allowed into their country?
35. In what two ways did the United States respond militarily to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001?
36. What domestic actions did the U.S. government take after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001?
37. How has the United States addressed the threat of pollution and global warming?
38. How do developing countries differ from developed countries?
39. Describe two ways in which cultural diffusion takes place.
40. Describe two kinds of weapons of mass destruction.