|Unité 2 - Trésors du temps Flow chart
The Conquest of Gaul
- 50 bc the Romans conquered Gaul.
- They conquered Massilia and renammed teh south of Gaul the « Provincia Romana. »
- Vercingétorix tried to fight the Romans, but he was stopped at Alésia and then executed.
The Gallo-roman Period
- The Gauls quickly accepted the ways of life of the Romans.
- The Gauls received an excellent administration and solid stone roads.
- The Gauls started to speak common latin that the occupying legions spoke.
- Christians were persecuted.
- Empereur Constantine declared all religions acceptable with the Edit of Milan in 313.
- It was a prosperous period.
- The Goths started to attack Gaul and Rome.
- Rome was weakened by the barbarian attacks and they abandoned the western roman empire.
- The Greeks founded this port in 500 bc.
The Middle Ages
- When the Romans left, the Gauls lost their excellent administration.
- It was a somber period between the fall of Rome and the fall of Constantinople. - Gaul tried to reconstruct its civilization.
- Christianity kept a kind of order which had organization and, thus, the power.
- Clovis was the chief of a barbarian army who was pagan, but he married a Christian princess.
- Clovis was baptized in 496 to reinforce his authority with the authority of the Church.
- He is the first king who became king by the will of God.
- « De Bello Gallico » is a book written by Julius Cesar which spoke of the life of the Gauls.
- « Astérix » is a famous comic which speaks of the Gauls and the war against the Romans.
- C’était peuplé par les Vikings.
- Les produits célèbres sont les beurres, les fromages, et les pommes.
- Les Normands sont prudents et économes.
- Ici, il y a des traces de peuple préhistorique.
- On a trouvé des pointes de flèches, des couteaux de silex, des outils de pierres, des aiguilles d’os, des peaux de bêtes, des vêtements rudimentaires, et de remarquables peintures de chevaux, de rhinocéros, de lions, d’ours, de mammouths, et de bisons.