Appendix IV - Books of Local Interest
California Desperadoes William B. Secrest #209
California Outlaw – Tiburcio Vasquez Robert Greenwood #43
Dalton Gang Days Frank F. Latta #214
Goodbye, Billy the Kid Harold L Edwards #191
Joaquin Murietta & His Horse Gangs FF Latta #130
The Killing of Jim McKinney Harold L. Edwards #162
Shotguns on Sunday Joe Doctor #36
Train Robbers & Tragedies Harold L Edwards #222
The Twenty-Fifth Man Ed Morrell #197
Wild Tulare County – Outlaws, Rogues & Rebels Terry Ommen #259
The Butterfield Overland Mail 1857-1869 Margaret Conkling #16
The First Overland Mail – Butterfield Trail Walter B. Lang #16
The Overland Mail 1849-1861 Leroy R. Hafen #16
Stagecoach Heyday in the San Joaquin Valley W H. Boyd #140
How We Cook in Visalia American Legion Auxiliary
Pioneer Families of Ducor, California Jane Guthrie Muller #147
California Time Ernest J. Finney #200
The Place Beyond the Dustbowl Ron Hughart #218
Exeter, Now – Then John A. Mangini #112
Exeter’s Photographic Past Exeter Chamber #203
The Ashley-Smith Expedition Dale #79
In the State of Fremont: Edward Kern . . . Hine #137
Jededaih Smith & His Maps of the Amer West Dale Morgan #79
Jedediah Smith & the Opening of the West Dale Morgan #79
Southwest Expedition of Jedediah Smith #129
Evans & Sontag
Evans & Sontag: Famous Bandits of Calif Hu Maxwell #133
Prodigal Sons Wallace Smith #9
Floods of the Kaweah #248
Handbook of Indians of California Alfred Kroeber #107
Handbook of the Yokuts Frank F. Latta #96
Indian Country of the Tubatulabal Bob Powers #130
Ishi in Two Worlds #58
Mariposa Indian War C Gregory Crampton #34
Poetry & Symbolism of Indian Basketry GW James #3
Pomo Indian Basketry SA Barrett #3
Rock Art of the Chumash Indians Campbell Grant #172
Songs of the Yokuts & Paintes Alfred Pietroforte #68
The Tache-Yokuts Marjorie W. Cummins #133
Tribes of California Stephen Powers #107
Yokohl – A History of It’s People & Their Culture S Barker #246
Yokuts and Western Mono Ethnography AH Gayton
History of Kaweah Colony Jay O’Connell #205
History of the Kaweah Colony George W. Stewart #3
Kaweah: A Utopian Colony FW Cleere #60
Kaweah: An Epic of the Old Colony Will Purdy #39
Kaweah: Experiment in Cooperative Colonization R Lewis #2
Bit of Sweden in the Desert Pauline P. Mathes #174
Swift Seasons Grace Pogue #33
Within the Magic Circle Grace Pogue #33
The Men of Mammoth Forest Floyd Otter #52
Redwood Classics Ralph W. Andrews
There Were Giants in Those Days Victor E. Johnson #92
They Felled the Redwoods Hank Johnston #70
Wheelers, Pointers, & Leaders Monroe C. Griggs #24
The Whistles Blow No More Hank Johnston #141
MINERAL KING, CA
Beulah: A Biography of Mineral King Valley Louise Jackson #158
The Cabins of Mineral King Botkin & Coughran #203
Mineral King Country Henry Brown #163
Mineral King Guide Pat Adler #57
A Short History of the Mineral King Road Linda Wallace #227
Silver Rush at Mineral King, 1873-1880 S T. Porter #66
Apostle of the Valley Sister Mary Thomas #247
Arizona Charley Jean Beach King #165
Balaams, Pioneers of California Rodney Homer #105
Black Gold in the Joaquin Frank F Latta #5
The Blair-Moffett Families Kirkman #149
Childhood Memories 1917-1927 Jane Guthrie Muller #142
The Dauntless Dillons Elaine Egenes #87
History of the Jack Ranch Emmett R. Berry #107
King of the Tulares Annie R. Mitchell #5
The Man Who Could Dodge Lightning Joseph E. Doctor #189
The McCubbin Papers Kenneth Zech #163
The Mussel Slough Tragedy JL Brown #36
Seventy Five Years With a Shotgun Clem T. Buckman #102
A Strength Born of Giants Grunigen & O’Connell #219
They Called Him King of the Grapes Henry A Folly #112
Tracing Their Portuguese Footsteps Bill & Margaret Allen #203
MOONEY family / mooney grove
End of the Trail: A Biography of a Statue Dean Krakel #97
Michael Mooney 1828-1881 Bill Allen #219
Mooney’s Oak Grove 1906-2003 Bill Allen #222
Solon H. Borglum A Mervyn Davies #103
National Parks/the sierras
The Cabins of Wilsonia Botkin #262
Giant Forest Reservation: The Legend & Mystery Berland #60
The Golden Trout Barton W. Everman #144
Guidebook to the Southern Sierra Nevada R Leadabrand #77
Mountaineering in the Sierra Clarence King #24
North Fork Country Bob Powers #120
Oak to Pine to Timberline Helen Clinghan #218
100 Years of Tule River Mountain Country Edwards #149
Outdoor Insight Warren Moody #155
Sequoia National Park: A Geological Album FE Matthes #54
The Sierra Nevada Before History Louise Jackson #249
South Fork Country Bob Powers #101
Thunder in the Mountains Hank Johnston #77
Tunnel Ranger Station 1942-43 Charles Morgan #144
Pixley – The Place to Be Jeff Edwards #214
Buds, Blossoms, & Leaves Mary Eulalie Shannon #175
Early Porterville History & Family Histories Stiner #253
Facts & Legends of Porterville Jeff Edwards #175
Happenings William Pitt Bartlett #44
Memoirs of Doctor Will W. Leslie #138
More Happenings William Pitt Bartlett #44
Porterville: Land of the Golden Fruit #24
Prestages of Porterville Rodney P Homer #112
Saddles & Saddlemakers of Porterville Chamberlain/Edwards #135
Start of Porterville & Main St. as it was in 1908 Schortman #136
Zaluds of Porterville Jeff Edwards #116
Albums of Historical Steam Engines Floyd Clymer #31
The History of the Sunset Railway John Bergman #189
Railroad That Lighted Southern California Hank Johnston
Visalia Electric RR – Stories of the Early Years Louise Jackson #259
Pioneers in Paradise Sophie Britten #261
The Years Between Brooks Gist #15
TULARE COUNTY HISTORY
Empire Out of the Tules Brooks Gist #112
Garden of the Sun Wallace Smith #36
Historical Atlas of Tulare County – 1892 TH Thompson
History of the San Joaquin Valley WW Elliott #3
History of Tulare & Kings Counties Menefee & Dodge #5
History of Tulare County Wallace Elliott #5
History of Tulare County, California Kathleen E. Small #5
Memorial & Biographical History of the
Counties of Fresno, Tulare, & Kern #5
Modern History of Tulare County #96
Pen Pictures from the Garden of the World #5
Sites to See Annie R. Mitchell #141
The Way It Was Annie R. Mitchell #112
Land & Life in the Tulare Lake Basin Bill Preston #123
Vanishing Landscapes Bill Preston #142
Blast from the Past: 50 Years of Visalia History #210
Visalia – A Pictorial History Visalia Heritage, Inc. #214
Visalia – Her First Fifty Years Annie R. Mitchell #59
Visalia – Then & Now Terry Ommen #247
Visalia’s Fabulous Fox #205
Visalia’s Heritage – Buildings, People, History Visalia Heritage, Inc #153
Goshen & Giddings Donny Baarnes #262
Appendix V - Historic Markers Placed by TCHS
A month after the Society was organized in 1944, Mrs. Walter Cairns suggested a marker to commemorate a piece of land containing hogwallows (curious mounds of soil that once covered great portions of the Valley before the land was settled and tilled). She was unable to convince landowners to allow such a marker to be placed. 35 years elapsed before such a section of land was set aside for preservation and appropriately marked by the Society. But Mrs. Cairns efforts serve to illustrate one major goal of the Society – the “Registration of points of historical interest”, i.e. the placement of durable markers recognizing a noteworthy site, structure, person, or event.
On October 24, 1948 the historic Kaweah Post Office was marked. This was a joint effort between the California Centennial Commission, which provided the bronze plaque, and TCHS, which furnished the ornate river rock base, as well as documenting, to the State of Californias strict standards, the historic value of the site.
Between 1948 and 1992, the Tulare County Historical Society placed 25 markers, half of them as projects with other groups.
The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
The Ancient and Honorable Order of E. Clampus Vitus (AKA the Clampers) began during the California Gold Rush as a spoof among miners on the more formal fraternal groups of the time, such as the Masons and Oddfellows. But the group, with its blatant disregard for manners or decorum, took on a life of its own and Clamper chapters spread throughout the Western states. California pioneer Joseph Zumwalt is credited with founding the first California ECV Lodge in 1851, at Mokelumne Hill in Calaveras County.
The original lodges faded away by the turn of the twentieth century. But, the 1930’s Depression saw an ECV revival, and today there are 42 ECV chapters on the West Coast (all but two in California). The Tulare County Clamper organization, chartered in 1974, is the Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter 1855. It is named for the pioneer physician and miner who first made his mark on Tulare County in the 1850s.
One of the primary activities of ECV has been the dedication of historic monuments and plaques throughout the State of California. In 1974 the first marker placed by the S.G.George chapter was erected in Traver Park to commemorate Tulare County’s first train robbery, orchestrated in 1898 by the notorious bandits Sontag and Evans.
One marker is installed each year. The chapter president, called the Noble Grand Humbug, chooses the subject matter and the site of the marker. The chapter has installed thirty markers to date in Tulare County. Recent marker dedications have included: The Old Tulare County Jail marker on the corner of Oak and Church, Visalia; the site of the Visalia Saddle Shop, in the 200 block of E. Main Street; and the Walker’s Pass monument on Old Stage Road at Deer Creek, east of Porterville. This marker explains James Walker made his famous crossing of the Sierra starting at this point, not to the south in Kern County as was long-believed.
Note: Name of Marker is followed by Date of Dedication, Name of Sponsoring Ageny, and where Los Tulares reference is. Specific location of marker is in Italics
TCHS Tulare County Historical Society
ECV E Clampus Vitus
ACADEMY OF THE NATIVITY Aug 20, 2011, TCHS #255, p 5
Commemorates the site of Father Daniel F Dade’s 1861 Academy of the Nativity housed in the first Catholic Church in the lower San Joaquin Valley.
George McCann Memorial Catholic School, 520 N Church St.
ALLEN I RUSSELL TREE June 23, 1991, TCHS #173, p 1
This giant sequoia tree measures 254 feet tall, 25 feet in diameter. Dedicated to Allen Russell, park ranger who worked to improve the Balch Park campgrounds while stationed here 1961 - 1990.
Balch Park recreation area above Springville.
Alta Irrigation District Oct 22, 1988, ECV #162, P 7
Commemorates 100th anniversary of the District which was formed from the holdings of the 76 Land and Water Co. Alta district was laid out to draw water from the Kings River. As a result, that dry section of the county became irrigated, and the towns of Traver and Dinuba were established.
District’s Offices, 289 N. L Street, Dinuba.
Artesian Well March 12, 1989, TCHS #163, p 1-2
First successful artesian well in area bored in 1877 alongside tracks near Tipton, causing a great deal of excitement for the farmers on the County’s arid west side. Eventually, 250 wells tapped along 15 mile by 25 mile “Artesian Belt” from Tipton to Waukena to Lemoore. By 1910, the wells simply stopped flowing.
Battle Mountain Oct 20, 1990, ECV #170, p 3-4
Remembers the so-called Tule River Indian “War” of 1856, which erupted when unfounded rumors spread about cattle-rustling Indians in Yokohl Valley. Settlers organized groups of mounted riflemen that attacked unarmed parties of Indians, including women and children. The incident prompted the government to force the Tule River tribes onto the Tule River Indian Reservation.
Near battlement built by Indians, North Fork Tule River, 15 miles NE of Porterville.
Ben Harris Sept 18, 1976, ECV #112, p 4
Ben Harris was mountain packer and guide in the Mineral KIng Valley in the early 1900s. His fierce storytelling ability gained him the nickname “Biggest Liar in the Sierra”.
Butterfield Overland Mail Oct 14, 1973, ECV #100, p 3
This is the former site of the Overland Hotel, which housed the station of the Butterfield Overland Mail. Just before midnight on October 8, 1858 almost all of Visalia’s 500 citizens crowded onto Main Street (then called Mill St.) to greet the first Butterfield stage to reach the city.
In front of 114 E. Main, Visalia.
Butterfield Overland Mail Route 1958, TCHS #63, p 4
While trekking through California on his 1844 expedition, John C. Fremont travelled along the trails established very long ago by Indians. The journey included a stretch of trail between the Tule River and the Kaweah Delta. By the 1850’s, this trail became the Los Angeles-Stockton Road, part of the Butterfield Stage Route. Highway 65 through Lindsay follows this exact route.
Adjacent to Fremont Trail Marker, W side Hwy 65 at Hermosa Ave.
Dutch Corners Oct 4, 1980, ECV #129, p 1-3
In 1885, four German settlers dug a single communal well at the point where their four properties met, about one half-mile south of the present town of Ducor. This property arrangement gave the area the name Dutch Corners. Later, a railroad employee came across a weathered sign painted with the name “Dutch Corners”, but the paint had faded so badly only the letters DU____ COR___ were readable. The name stuck.
At the circa 1907 Ducor Rochdale Store.
Election Tree July 10, 1949, TCHS & CA Centennials Comm #4, p 2
This oak (sometimes called the “Charter Oak”) has been long-regarded as the polling place set up for Tulare County’s first election, held July 10, 1852. Later research, however, indicates the tree where the voting took place was located about a half-mile to the south, near the Venice School. This, the true Election Tree, was dubbed the “Witness Tree” to avoid any confusion.
Charter Oak Dr, 5 miles east of Visalia.
Elisha Packwood Oct 24, 1992, ECV #178, p 4
Elisha Packwood made considerable wealth in the gold fields in 1848. In 1850 he brought relatives and his 100-head dairy herd to California, registering the second cattle brand in the county. His 3000 acre ranch covered most of what is now central Porterville. He also operated a stopping place, or station, where the Emigrant Road crossed the Tule River.
Corner Putnam Ave & Third St, Porterville.
Farmersville Oct 15, 1983, ECV #141, p 2
This community is the third oldest in Tulare County, dating to 1866, the year Jasper and Crowley built a store here. In 1868 the store was sold to Thomas Brundage. He was granted the federal contract to open a Post Office and chose the name Farmersville.
Corner of Visalia Rd and Farmersville Blvd.
Fort VisaliA Feb 21, 1981, TCHS & Boy Scouts of America #130, p 1
This simple plaque atop a granite post marks the approximate site of the oak stockade built by settlers in 1852 as a defense against the elements (and the Indians). This fort marked the beginning of Visalia.
Northeast cor Garden and Oak Sts, Visalia
Fountain Springs Sep 1958, TCHS #112, p 2
Dedicated on Centennial of the Butterfield Stage,. This crossroads saw traffic early as 1850, being the junction of the Emigrant Trail with the road going to the Kern River gold country. The first public road in Tulare County, it followed a much older Indian Trail. The route was followed by early explorers including Gabriel Moraga in 1806, and later Fremont, Ewing, and Jedediah Smith. It was also a leg of the Butterfield Stage route, and later named Old Stage Road. When the Old Stage Road marker was placed in 1976, the Fountain Springs Marker was re-located so both would be adjacent.
Old Stage Rd and Ave 56 (7 miles east of Ducor)
Fremont Trail Daughters of the Amer Revolution (date uncertain) #63, p 4
While trekking through California on his 1844 expedition, John C. Fremont travelled along the trails established very long ago by Indians. The journey included a stretch of trail between the Tule River and the aweah Delta. By the 1850’s, this trail became the Los Angeles-Stockton Road, part of the Butterfield Stage Route. Highway 65 through Lindsay follows this exact route.
West side of Hwy 65 at Hermosa Ave.
Gabriel Moraga Oct 6, 1991, ECV #174, p 6
Color Sergeant Gabriel Moraga commanded a force of 25 Spanish soldiers sent out by California Governor Arrillaga to hunt for possible sites for a chain of inland missions. He reached what is now the site of Porterville and the Tule River April 26, 1806.
Tulare Co Lemon Assn, Plano & Date Sts, Porterville.
George S. Berry March 12, 1978, TCHS #118, p 3
Dedicated to the man many regard as the inventor of the first combine harvester. Berry was a pioneer cirtrus rancher in the 1800s. He also served in the California Assembly and State Senate, and was a long-time member of the Lindsay schoolboard.
Grounds of Lindsay High School.
Harmony School Oct 24, 1994, ECV #186, p 5
First established 1871, new building was built 1918. Harmony became part of Sunnyside School District in 1941, and later the building was a community center. The schoolhouse burned down in 1983, leaving only the archway of the main entrance standing.
Rd 180 and Ave 184.
Hog Wallow Preserve April 22, 1979, TCHS #123, p 1
Theories abound as to the origin of these small mounds of soil that once covered large portions of the valley floor. With the arrival of the white man, and the need for level farm land, they all but disappeared by the 1930’s. Dr. Phillip Buckman and his daughter Carol Buckman donated ten acres, the last remaining large parcel of hogwallow land, to TCHS as a nature preserve.
Ave 313 and Rd 220, Exeter.
Ina Stiner Home Jan 18, 1976, TCHS #109, p 2
Ina Stiner was a teacher at Porterville High School and Porterville’s foremost historian.
303 North E. St, Porterville.
Jordan Tree July 12, 1964, TCHS & Jordan Family #114, p 3
Honor John Jordan, captain of wagon team that arrived in California from Texas in 1850, among the earliest settlers of Yokohl Valley. Builder of infamous toll-road across the Sierras.
At Balch Park∙
Jordan Toll Trail April 1, 1977, TCHS #63, 1-3
John Jordan led wagon team from Texas in 1850. With the 1857 discovery of gold in Owens Valley, he petitioned to build a sixteen-foot wide toll road across Sierras, which was nearing completion when Jordan drowned in Kern River 1862.
Western terminus of trail, Hwy 198 & Yokohl Valley Rd.
Kaweah Po Oct 24, 1948, TCHS & Calif Centennials Commi #2, p 1
First post office for Kaweah Co-Operative Colony was at “Advance”, built several miles above the present one in 1880. Name changed to Kaweah in 1890. Location of the post office changed twice before coming to its present spot about 1928. The only tangible reminder of the thriving Kaweah Colony, it is one of the smallest functioning post offices in the US.
North Fork Dr, two miles above Hwy 198.
Klink Station Oct 25, 1986, TCHS & Ivanhoe Volunteer Fire Dept #154, p 6-7
This tiny flag stop on the Southern Pacific half-mile northeast of Ivanhoe School was named Klink after railroad auditor George Klink. Klink post office was opened in 1910 in the Klink store. In 1911 the Venice Hill Land Co laid out a town site on opposite side of tracks, calling the new town Venice Hill. Very confusing for residents who lived in Venice Hill, got their mail at Klink, and sent their children to Ivanhoe School. In 1924 residents voted to change name of town and post office to Ivanhoe.
Ivanhoe fire station
Liberty School Nov 1, 1992, TCHS #178, p 5
Commemorates 125th anniversary of school’s founding. Liberty is the oldest school in Tulare County still at its original site.
Mooney Blvd & Liberty Rd
Lone Oak Cemetery Oct 19, 1975, TCHS #86, p 3
“Probably” the oldest cemetery in the southern San Joaquin Valley according to the marker. The first burials here may have been the Woods party massacred by Indians nearby in 1850. In 1957, the TC Historical Society formed a committee in an unsuccessful attempt to get the neglected graveyard placed into a cemetery district.
Ave 324, off Rd 168
Mooney Grove Oct 26, 1958, TCHS #38, p 2
A memorial to those who helped preserve a portion of the Valley oak forest that once covered the Four Creeks area.
Located just inside the main park entrance
Old Stage Rd Oct 24, 1976, TCHS & Tul Co Bicentennial Comm #112, p 2
Road saw traffic early as 1850, being the junction of Emigrant Trail with road going to the Kern River gold country. First public road in Tulare County, it followed a much older Indian Trail later followed by early explorers including Moraga in 1806, Fremont, Ewing, and Jedediah Smith. It was also a leg of the Butterfield Stage route.
Fountain Springs Bar and Restaurant.
Plano May 25, 1975, TCHS #106, p 1
Town had beginnings around 1859 with name Vandalia. But 1862 flood wiped out nearly all the homes and shops, and remaining population moved to high ground a half-mile south. Soonafter, settlers following Butterfield stage route settled here, named the place after their hometown of Plano, Texas. See also Vandalia marker.
Plano Rd, two miles south of Porterville.
Pogue Hotel May 8, 1977, TCHS #114, p 1
This home and hotel was built 1879 by JWC Pogue, who had planted the first citrus groves in the district. The Pogues donated the house to the Lemoncove Womens Club in 1936.
Along Highway 198 in Lemoncove
Porterville Flour Mills April 25, 1976, TCHS #110, p 3
Commemorates a series of grist mills that operated at this site from 1868 to 1912. Mill was powered by water which came in through a five mile extension of a ditch from the Monache Reservation, dug by Indaian labor in 1862.
E Putnam Ave, bet Plano and Leggett (part of Murry park)
Roth’s Spur Oct 10, 1981, ECV #135, p 1-4
John and Peter Roth came to the area in 1878 and eventually owned 3000 acres of wheat and barley. In 1888 the Southern Pacific Railroad allowed them to build a grain-loading platform along a siding that they called Roth’s Spur. A group of Scottish investors laid out a ranch and townsite around 1900, and named it after their Scottish county of Strathmore.
On grounds of Strathmore High School.
Royal P Putnam May 1975, Students of Westfield School #106, p 4
Putnam was associated with the Butterfield Stage when he arrived in 1860. He laid out townsite 1870, after which Putnam induced the postmaster at Tule River to move the post office there. He changed the Post Office to Porterville, a name that did not become official until 1915. He built this home 1866 at 165 N. Main St, moved it to present location in 1888.
Mill and Third Stt, Porterville
Samuel Gregg GeorgE Sept 10, 1977, ECV #116, p 3
He practiced medicine in Visalia about 1855. He then went on to discover gold and silver deposits in the Coso Valley. He had interests in the magnesite mines and mill near Porterville starting in 1876.
E Mill St, Porterville.
Tailholt May 15, 1949, TCHS #85, p 3
This mining camp sprang up in 1856 at the beginning of the Kern River Gold Rush.The name was changed to White River in 1870. Mining has been carried on there intermittently ever since, but the most productive period was the 1880s and 1890s. The town all but died away by 1915, and the only tangible traces left are the several small cemeteries on the hills above it.
South side, Old Stage Rd.
Traver Oct 5, 1974, ECV #104, p 1
Established in 1884, soon after the Seventy-Six Land and Water Co brought irrigation water from the Kings River. It was the largest grain shipping point in the United States. As land values dropped Traver almost disappeared, but today is home to several thousand.
Tule River Stage Stn Oct 11, 1953, TCHS & Native Daughters #17, p 3
Peter Goodhue operated an Emigrant Trail stopping place on the Tule River in 1854. It later became a Butterfield Overland Mail Station run by Royal Porter Putnam, founder of Porterville.
Small road-side park at base of Scenic Hill.
Tule River Indian Reservation Oct 16, 1949, TCHS #4, p 3
In the wake of the Tule River Indian War of 1856, the government sought to isolate local Indian tribes and purchased 1280 acres for a reservation two miles east of present-day Porterville, in the area of Alta Vista School.
Grounds of Alta Vista School.
Vandalia Oct 16, 1982, ECV #137, p 3
Between 1859 and 1862 Vandalia was the third largest community in Tulare County, and the largest in the Tule River area. Flooding in 1862 wiped out most of its houses, and the settlers that remained gradually moved a half-mile south. The new settlement came to be called Plano. See also Plano Marker.
Grounds of Vandalia School.
Visalia Electric Railroad Oct 27, 1984, ECV #147, p 1-2
The Visalia Electric was built by John Hays Hammond, President of Mt Whitney Power Company. The terminal was in Exeter. It began service in 1905, and led the county in departures until 1924 when its passenger service was discontinued.
Railroad right-of-way, adjacent to Exeter Memorial Building.
Visalia Times-Delta Oct 19, 1985, ECV #150, p 5
Recognizes the Visalia Times-Delta, the oldest newspaper in the San Joaquin Valley, first published June 25, 1859. Newspaper offices, Floral and Oak Sts.
Wilcox Family Monument March 4, 1990, TCHS #168, p 4
In 1856 the Wilcox family arrived from New York State, becoming the first family to settle on the Tule River. Several family members homesteaded in Success Valley, and continued until the dam was built, covering their farmland beneath the waters of Lake Success.
Overlooks Lake Success.
Woodville School April 24, 1981, TCHS #132, p 1-2
Commemorates centennial of School District, established 1881.
Woodville Memorial Bldg.