1. Which is not represented by the seven points on the crown of the Statue of Liberty according to the text?
a. The points represent how liberty enlightens the world.
b. The points represent the seven continents.
c. The points represent the sun.
d. The points represent the seven days of creation.
2. Information in the second paragraph is mainly organized using which text structure?
a. Spatial order b. Order of importance
c. Chronological order d. Cause and effect
3. Which best expresses the main idea of the third paragraph?
a. France assisted the United States in the Revolutionary War.
b. The statue was a joint effort between France and the U.S. just like U.S. independence.
c. The U.S. was once a colony of Great Britain.
d. The statue of liberty was dedicated 100 years after America declared its independence.
4. Which is not a reason why people criticized the Statue of Liberty during its construction?
a. Some people felt that the statue should have been bigger.
b. Some people felt that the statue should have been built by an American.
c. Some people felt that France should have paid for the statue and the pedestal.
d. Some people felt that America shouldn’t spend money on a statue during a depression.
5. Which of the following statements is false?
a. The tablet that the Statue of Liberty holds is 23 feet long.
b. The Statue of Liberty’s waste size is 35 feet.
c. The pedestal underneath the Statue of Liberty is 305 tall.
d. The Statue of Liberty is over 151 feet tall.
6. Which best expresses the author’s purpose in writing the last paragraph?
a. To describe what a depression is
b. To show that some people did not think very highly of the French
c. To argue why the Statue of Liberty was a good investment
d. To explain why some people were against building the statue.
7. Which of the following is an opinion?
a. The Statue of Liberty cost a tremendous amount of money to build.
b. The Statue of Liberty was sculpted by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi.
c. The Statue of Liberty is over 151 feet tall.
d. The Statue of Liberty may sway 3 inches on a windy day.
8. Which of the following statements is false?
a. The guy who built the Eiffel Tower also designed the inside of the Statue of Liberty.
b. The Eiffel Tower was a gift to the Americans from the people of France.
c. The Statue of Liberty is located on federal property.
d. Bartholdi got permission from both the French and the US to build the statue.
9. Which of the following is not one of the ways that Bartholdi contributed to the statue?
a. He designed the interior of the statue.
b. He gained approval for the project from the U.S. and from France.
c. He sculpted the exterior of the statue.
d. He gained financing to complete the project from France.
10. Which best expresses the author’s purpose in writing this text?
a. To persuade people to visit the Statue of Liberty
b. To inform readers with interesting facts about the Statue of Liberty
c. To entertain readers with stories about the construction of the Statue of Liberty
d. To describe the appearance of the Statue of Liberty.