1. Thou shalt avoid avarice like the deadly pestilence and shalt embrace its opposite.
2. Thous shalt keep thyself chaste for the sake of her whom thou lovest.
3. Thou shalt not knowingly strive to break up a correct love affair that someone else is engaged in or be a revealer of love affairs.
4. Thou shalt not chose for thy love anyone whom a natural sense of shame forbids thee to marry.
5. Be mindful completely to avoid falsehood and always be polite and courteous.
6. Thou shalt not have many who know of thy love affair. When made public, love rarely endures.
7. Being obedient in all things to the commands of ladies. Thou shalt ever strive to ally thyself to the service of Love.
8. When a lover suddenly catches sight of his beloved his heart palpitates and he regularly turns pale. He whom the thought of love vexes eats and sleeps very little.
9. Boys do not love until they reach the age of maturity.
10. When one lover dies, a widowhood of two years is required of the survivor.
11. Real jealousy always increases the feeling of love but also increases when one suspects his beloved.
12. The easy attainment of love makes it of little value: difficulty of attainment makes it prized.