24. The Spanish colonial economy was based largely on…
A) exports of Native American weaving and pottery
B) tobacco farming
C) the mining of gold and silver
D) fur and fish trading
25. Before the era of exploration, how did Europeans get goods from Asia?
A) Before the explorers, there was no way to get Asian goods in Europe.
B) The Ottoman Empire was made up mostly of Chinese and Indian people living in Turkey, so it was easy to get goods.
C) Chinese merchants regularly traveled to Europe by traveling through Africa and sailing across the Mediterranean to reach Europe.
D) Merchants traveled by horse or camel to Asia and traded with Muslims and Asian territories.
26. What was the Columbian Exchange?
A) when the Spanish conquistadors traded their Incan hostages for gold on the border between Columbia and Peru.
B) the exchange of plants, animals and disease between the Old World and the New World.
C) when Columbus made the first trade of glass beads for gold with the Native Americans.
D) the trading of information between European nations after their various voyages of exploration.
27. Which was not a factor behind exploration?
A) the invention of the printing press
B) spread of religion
C) competition with Asian countries for new land
D) rise of nation-states
28. Unlike the Spanish and French, the British colonies were populated by…
A) men, women, and children from England.
B) men only
C) women only
D) prisoners from England
29. The French colonies that were established in the interior regions of North American from the Appalachian Mountains to the Mississippi River were mostly…
A) silver mines
B) sugar plantations
C) trading posts
D) cotton plantations
30. Which of the following was NOT a factor that made Africa vulnerable to the slave trade?
A) Politcal fragmentation
B) Close to sailing routes
C) Availability of people
D) Africans wanted to experience the New World
31. In the 17th century, slavery was justified by…
A) Pseudo-scientific racism
B) The curse of Abraham
C) The idea of the “natural” slave
D) Some people had bad luck
32. Africans were captured and sold to European slavers by…
B) Native Americans
C) Muslim mercenaries
D) Other Africans
Choose the best description that matches was each explorer did…
Vasco Da Gama Ferdinand Magellan Christopher Columbus Prince Henry Hernando Cortes
33. Was given credit as the first explorer to circumnavigate the world.
34. Spanish explorer who conquered the Aztec Empire in Mexico.
35. First explorer to discover “new land” west of Europe and Africa.
36. Set up a navigation school for Portugal.
37. First explorer to find a sea route to Asia by traveling around the coastline of Africa.
Choose 3 of the 4 questions to answer in a few sentences for each question.
a.) What are some positives and negatives from the Age of Exploration?
b.) How could the Age of Exploration lead the way for our next lesson of “Age of Revolutions”?
c.) Describe the effects of the Columbian Exchange on both the “Old World” and New” World
d.) How did Portugal’s accomplishments at the beginning of exploration and their navigation schools help the other European explorers?