|Student Name: __________________________________________
Chapter 6 (Sections 5 & 6) Review Questions
Completion: Complete each sentence or statement.
1. The forced removal of the Cherokees from Georgia to the western territories, resulting in the deaths of thousands of native Cherokees, was known as the ____________________.
2. The two major Indian tribes in Georgia were the ____________________ and the ____________________.
3. The capital of the Cherokee Nation was located in Georgia in ____________________.
4. The Cherokee newspaper, which was printed in both English and Cherokee, was the ____________________.
5. In 1830, the U.S. government passed the ______________________________ to remove all Native Americans from the southern states.
6. The chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court who ruled that Georgia’s courts did not have jurisdiction over the Cherokee Nation and lands in the state was ____________________.
7. The Creek Indian chief who signed away the last of the Creek lands in Georgia to Governor George Troup in the Treaty of Indian Springs was _________________________.
8. A few national leaders, including Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and ____________________, tried unsuccessfully to get the federal government and the state of Georgia to treat the Cherokee Indians fairly.
9. Fighting between Georgia settlers and the native Creek Indians over lands around the Oconee River became known as the ____________________ War.
10. The discovery of ___________________ in ____________________ Georgia in 1829 was the final blow to the Cherokee remaining in Georgia.
11. The Battle in the War of 1812 that was fought weeks after the peace treaty had been signed and that was won by the United States was the Battle of ______________________________
12. The U.S. Congress, pushed by President Andrew Jackson, signed the Indian Removal Act of 1830 calling for all Native Americans to be moved to the ____________________ territories.
13. The Florida Indians whom Andrew Jackson attacked in an effort to acquire the Florida territory for the U.S. were the ____________________ Indians.
14. The _________________________, the national anthem, was written during the War of 1812 while a battle at Fort McHenry in Baltimore Harbor was being fought.
15. The Cherokee written alphabet, the syllabary, was created by ____________________.