Social Studies 11



Download 20.03 Kb.
Date conversion15.05.2016
Size20.03 Kb.
Social Studies 11


Ms. Rosolski

Email: msrosolski@gmail.com

Website: http://rosolski.wordpress.com
Part A: COURSE OUTLINE

Social Studies 11 examines the evolution of Canada politically, economically, socially and geographically since confederation to present day. By the end of the course, students will have a better understanding how a relatively small and fragmented nation in 1896 evolved into the highly developed world power that it is today.


Units of Study:



Unit 1

Unit 2

Unit 3

Government & Politics
Political Change
The Political Spectrum
Government Systems

Levels of Government

Canadian Constitution



History
World War I (1914 - 1919)



History
Inter War Years (1920-1939)

Unit 4

Unit 5

Unit 6

History
World War II (1930’s - 1945)

History
Post War Canada (1946-1980) & Modern Canada (1980-2004)

Human Geography
World Population
Standard of Living



*Canadian Identity (French-English relations, Aboriginal Issues, Multiculturalism) – present through all history units

NOTE:

This is an upper-level Social Studies course and it does have a Provincial Examination. That means two very important things:


1) The expectations are high.
You will have to engage in class and process A LOT of information over this semester.
2) The course will move quickly.

This will be a challenge for both you and me. We will need to keep moving in order to cover ALL the material in this course so that you may be adequately prepared for the Provincial Exam.



3) It is incredibly important that work in this class gets done on time.

Due dates are real and there are consequences for not meeting them. All study guides and assignments in a unit must be done before the unit test for that unit. If not, you will be required to stay in at lunch and afterschool to complete it. If this becomes a problem, a solution will be discussed during a phone call home.


PART B: ASSESSMENT & PORTFOLIO INTERVIEW
The provincial exam is worth 20% of the final grade. The remaining 80% will be based on your written and oral work, class participation, enterprise and enthusiasm for research and investigation, as well as from your demonstration of knowledge on tests, quizzes, essays and projects. Evaluation for Social Studies 11 will be cumulative (Meaning your mark is ongoing during the whole semester.)

Everything counts.

You will be creating an ONLINE portfolio with the purpose for you to use metacognition, in other words, to think about your own thinking and how you learn. You will create a portfolio to self assess your current learning, identify and set goals for improvement and reflect upon your progress throughout the course. You will need to keep track of your own learning…do not throw anything out!


Your term report card grades will result from a portfolio interview with Ms. R.


*Rubric Guide:





Not Yet Meeting

Expectations
Low-Med-High

0 – 30 – 45



Minimally Meeting Expectations

Low-Med-High

50 – 55 – 59


Meeting Expectations
Low-Med-High

63 - 67 - 71



Fully Meeting Expectations
Low-Med-High

75 – 80 - 86



Exceeding Expectations
Low-Med-High
90 - 95 - 100





PART C: MATERIALS & SUPPLIES (bring to class EVERYDAY)
http://www.timescolonist.com/polopoly_fs/1.336261.1372658323%21/fileimage/httpimage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_563/c1-0628-canada-jpg.jpg

1. Binder (for Social Studies only) with paper + textbooks(s)

2. Pen (blue or black only), pencil, eraser, and ruler.

3. Six dividers: One for each unit of study.

4. Notebook or Duo-tang
PART D: GENERAL INFORMATION

I will be using my website (http://rosolski.wordpress.com) to communicate with you and share resources, files, notes and review documents. You are expected to check in regularly, especially if you miss class.

Otherwise, I hope you have an interesting and rewarding semester and I am looking forward to working with you as you continue your learning journey!



-Ms. Rosolski


The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page