|Series: GOD’S NOT DEAD, Week 2 – GOOD AND EVIL ARE NO ILLUSIONS
1. If you could have lunch with any person from history, who would it be and why?
Do you watch the news regularly? Why or why not?
What comes to mind when you hear the word “evil”?
2. “If God is so powerful, why is there so much evil in the world?” It’s a daunting question, and not one that’s answered simply. However, in a day and age when evil acts are broadcast all over the world, it’s an unavoidable question for Christ followers. Contrary to popular belief, evil actually points to the existence of God. If there’s no God, how could evil exist in the first place? The Bible explains the true root of evil and God’s plan to rescue us from it:
TRUTH - God is good. This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 1 John1:9
For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.
TRUTH- Evil results from disregarding God- “Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become "filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice...
3. Every evil action committed by a person can be traced back to that person disregarding God. People often ask why evil exists if God exists, but people introduced evil into creation. People have free will and we have a choice. If everything good comes from God (James 1:17), then the only other option is evil. There’s no middle ground. Why might people find it difficult to believe that there’s no middle ground, only God and evil?
TRUTH - Jesus delivers us from evil. ”For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
1 Peter 3:18
4. Through Jesus’s death and resurrection, the power of evil over our lives is broken. We now have access to God, and the Holy Spirit guides us away from evil. When we turn from evil, we start to participate in the good works God has planned for us. God is working through his Church to rid the world of evil once and for all, moving his creation towards the goodness he intends for it. How do disciples participate with God in ridding the world of evil?
5. If we believe that Jesus is God and suffered the cross through the hands of evil men we have deep consolation and strength to face our own suffering, read Hebrews 4:15.
PRAY- Pray for courage to walk away from evil and participate in God’s redemptive plans. Ask God for courage to help others find Him in their suffering.