|September 16, 2014 AP US Govt. Federalist #51-In class assignment
Name: 1. 2. 3.
Period: Pts: /15
1. What is the Thesis of the Federalist #51
2. What is meant by “if men were angels, no government would be necessary?” (Think about John Locke, 2nd Treatise…)
3. Give at least 3 examples of how the Constitution (currently) protects the proper balance of power?
4. Which branch of government is the strongest? Why? What steps were taken to prevent it from being too strong? Is this branch still the “strongest” branch? (think about the last 2 presidencies)
5. How are the rights of the minority protected? How has this evolved over the past century? Provide at least one example of how the rights of a specific minority have been protected in recent history.
7. Summarize the main points of the concluding paragraph.
8. In Federalist #51, is Madison more of a pessimist or realist? Provide at least 1 piece of support from the reading!
9. What are two examples of Madison’s (Fed. #51) influence/footprints on our government today?