20) In what ways has Hinduism been progressive in its attitudes towards women? In what ways has it been sexist?
21) Where did Hinduism develop?
22) Why did Hinduism have so many different creation stories?
23) Why do many Hindus avoid eating meat? Why don’t all Hindus?
24) Who was Gandhi ? Why was he important and how did he feel about other religions?
25) What is the legend of Siddhartha Gotama (Gautama)?
26) What is the history of Siddhartha Gotama?
27) How is Buddhism related to Hinduism?
28) How did Siddhartha Gotama feel about the caste system?
29) How did Siddhartha Gotama feel about women and enlightenment?
30) What is Theravada Buddhism?
31) What is Mahayana Buddhism?
32) What is a Boddhisatva?
33) In the book Siddhartha why are words described as illusions?
34) How do most Theravada Buddhists feel about Siddhartha Gotama?
35) How do most Mahayana Buddhists feel about Siddhartha Gotama?
36) What are the 4 Noble Truths?
37) What is the Eightfold Path?
38) Why are many Buddhists vegetarians? Why do they eat any organic food?
39) Historically how did Buddhism have an unintentionally adversarial relationship with women?
40) What is Nirvana and how do Theravada Buddhists treat it differently than Mahayana Buddhists?
41) Why is Buddha frequently depicted as being fat? Was he fat in real life?
42) Why is meditation important to Buddhists?
43) Why is experience so important to Buddhists?
44) Why is Buddhism not as popular in India as it once was?
45) Can someone be Buddhist and Christian or Buddhist and Atheist? Explain.
46) What are some reasons Theravada Buddhism did not spread like Mahayana Buddhism?
47) Who is the Dalai Lama? Why has he been in the news recently?
48) What are some ways Buddhism is more similar to Judaism than to either Islam or Christianity?
49) How did an army of monkeys building a bridge lead to a controversy involving NASA?
Semester Two Review Sheet 2 (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) Judaism
1) Torah 2) Nevi’im
3) Ktuvim 4) Tanakh
5) Talmud 6) Rosh Hashanah
7) Yom Kippur 8) Bar Mitzvah
9) Chanukah 10) Yamim Noraim
11) Pesakh 12) Moses
13) Abraham 14) Orthodox Judaism
15) Conservative and Reform Judaism
16)In what ways has Judaism been progressive in its attitudes towards women? In what ways has it been sexist?
17) How do Jewish commandments differ from Christian commandments?
18) Why do Jews keep kosher?
19) How do Jewish concepts of afterlife differ from Christian and Muslim concepts?
20) What is antisemitism and how has it changed over time?
21) What is the Jewish connection to Israel?
22) Why is Israel such an area of contention between Jews and Muslims, but not between Jews and Christians?
23) Why don’t Jews typically try and convert people?
24) What do Jews feel about Jesus? How do they feel about a messiah?