Present: Co-Chairs Joanne DiPlacido and Emily Chasse, Kathy Poirer, Eva Vrdoljak, Krystal Rich, Carolyn Yousef, Heidi Huguley



Download 25.86 Kb.
Date conversion25.04.2016
Size25.86 Kb.
Committee on the Concerns of Women Meeting Minutes:  May 4, 2011

Present: Co-Chairs Joanne DiPlacido and Emily Chasse, Kathy Poirer, Eva Vrdoljak, Krystal Rich, Carolyn Yousef, Heidi Huguley.....

Excused/Absent:

…Victoria Ginter, Jessica Greenebaum, Ellen Retelle, Karen Ritzenhoff, …

1. Attendance

Guests in attendance None

 

2. Welcome and Introduction



 

3. Minutes

Minutes were reviewed and motion to accept was made by Carolyn Yousef and seconded by Sandra Matthews.

Vote was all in favor with zero oppose and zero abstain.

 

4. Budget Report



Allocations:

1) Work Life Balance: Brochures and Promotional Pieces - $300

2) CCW end of the year social - $500

3) CCW Promotional materials and supplies - remaining balance

Treasurer Carolyn Yousef reviewed the budget report handout to all members present. On Page one, the end balance is $2486.52 for

University Assistant funds. There are more pay periods Caitlyn Sjaarda is working, would be a UA for a short time. 5/9 and 5/23 are pay period end dates before June 1st, about 1.5 pay periods left. There are proposed expenditures not posted yet. Carolyn Yousef indicated was waiting for a bill for Women of Color Luncheons. Myrna Garcia-Bowen said that the luncheons are proposed to happen in May, towards the end of May. Minus $265 for covering cost from Women’s History Luncheon, the ending balance of the CCW001 account is $2317.58.

Linda Gordon did talk at the Women's History Month Luncheon and remaining travel cost is $136.50.

The Work/Life Balance Sub-committee membership fee has been paid, question raised if the membership is for 2 or 3 years. Fiona Pearson has asked for $300 for Work/Life Balance brochures and promotional materials.

It was mentioned that the brochures would be less costly to have printed from the Copy Center using the Copy Center account.

Carolyn Yousef discussed the funds relating to the Women's History Luncheon. 24 Tickets were purchased. Expenses were $1264.79 and $265 could be moved from CCW010 OE account to cover for cost of the luncheon.

Joanne DiPlacido is planning on using the remaining funds in the Copy Center account. It is its own separate account.

Motion was made to accept the discussed expenditures by Myrna Garcia-Bowen and seconded by Leah Glaser.

Vote was unanimous approve with zero abstain and zero oppose.

The CCW end of year Social is planned to be Thursday 5/19 12:30 to 2:00 pm in the Marcus White Living Room. $500 is requested for the Social. It is during finals week during a time with the least finals scheduled, 1:00 to 2:00 pm exam break.

Motion to approve $500 for the CCW end of year Social was made by Bobbie Koplowicz and seconded by Eva Vrdoljak.

Vote to approve was unanimous yes, zero abstain and zero oppose.

Discussion of the 3rd allocation followed - promotional items for the Work/Life Balance Sub-committee. Promotional materials are a great idea, one idea was for awareness ribbons.

There is no CCW office space and a 2 drawer file cabinet is needed. A suggestion to check office supplies in East Hall was made and agreed that this is a good idea to follow up on. Krystal Rich prepared a list of promotional supplies ideas with cost, and copy was given to members present. CCW stationary could also be printed out.

Carolyn Yousef explained that CCSU Logo printed letterhead is on contract with CCSU, and the Purchasing Card would need to be used to purchase this. Due to this being near the end of the fiscal year, the order would need to be placed by 5/13 so the billing would show up for this fiscal year. Carolyn Yousef offered to look into ordering letterhead and envelopes for CCW.

Joanne DiPlacido will review ideas for the logo with Caitlyn Sjaarda.

Motion to accept allocation of $300 for work/ Life Balance Sub-committee was made by Myrna Garcia-Bowen and seconded by Leah Glaser. Vote was unanimous to approve with zero abstain and zero oppose.

 

5. Old Business



a. Executive Committee 2011-2012

Co-Chairs will be Joanne DiPlacido and Carolyn Fallahi, Secretary will be Krystal Rich, Treasurer will be Marisol Aponte

An email request was sent out for additional nominations. No nominations made in meeting today.

 

b. Consensual Relationship Policy



Draft policy was emailed out to CCW members. This is intended to be a proactive policy and not reactive. Jason Sikorsky indicated having sent out an email regarding wording. There was discussion of wording in Sanctions section of page 5 with respect to clarification of “No complaint will be considered “false” solely because it cannot be corroborated”. The intent was that even if there is no corroborating evidence, the complaint still should be investigated.

The question of who investigates was raised and response was it depends on the situation. Sexual Harrassment complaints need to be investigated by the Office of Diversity and Equity. The policy will be reviewed, there will be multiple people to investigate if there would be a conflict of interest.  

Motion was made to pass policy with revisions to wording of sentence on page 5 was made by Jason Sikorsky and seconded by Emily Chasse. Vote was unanimous approval with zero oppose and zero abstain.

c. New Subcommittee: Men’s Initiative in Support of Women

Jason Sikorski discussed his program. This is a 4 module program for all male athletes and includes a pre and post test. The goal is change in attitudes towards more dangerous activities, to improve lives and decrease harmful behaviors, creating cognitive dissonance. Set up a dispute between actions and thoughts – creates cognitive dissonance, which starts to change behaviors. There are a lot of good ideas that have been put into this, with lots of assistance. The idea is to have a student to deliver the program, this is better received by the other students. Need funding to track the research. Laura Tordenti agreed, is interested. Will start with athletes as this is a high risk group. Men are responsible, need to be accountable for their actions.

Bobbie Koplowicz contributed that Jason Sikorski did a phenomenal job, was terrific, related well with the students.

Operating on stereotype that it is the athletes that do this, the reputation is because the athletes are more public. The program needs to be shown to more athletes. Statistics are biased because of the publicity.

 

In the research, the sample group would be those who would be considered as hypermasculine. This is more to target a group that has a subpopulation that would benefit. Athletes are more subject to competitiveness, drive to achieve, it is actual part of who they are.



Further discussion of the program is deferred to full committee meeting, due to time constraints today.  

 

d. Meeting times for next year



Joanne DiPlacido will send out an email with possible meeting times for next year.

 

e. Graduate Assistant Position for 2011/2012



At the end of summer will hire a new Graduate Assistant.

 

6. Subcommittee Reports



a. CCW Constitution and Bylaws Committee

No report, plan is to work on this the upcoming academic year.

 

b. Job Place Bullying and Sexual Harrassment



No report.

 

c. Scholarship Committee



Emily Chasse presented, applications are received, can get numbers from her.

Kristine Larson reviewed Karen Beyard Scholarship and found one recipient, a Nursing student and can possibly present it to her at CCW reception.

 

d. Sexual Assault Protocol



No report.

 

e. Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Concerns



No report.

 

f. Women of Color Support and Concerns



Subcommittee met yesterday. An idea is to invite Dr. Stacy Miller to talk on campus. Would like to use clickers for question and answer period for her talk.

 

g. Women’s History Month



No report.

 

h. Work/Life Balance Sub-committee Report:



WLB Subcommittee had a booth last week and had stress balls. Four sitters signed up. There needs to be final approval from Laurie Dunn in Human Resources to advertise the sitting service. Fiona Pearson is doing a brochure for student orientation packets. They are also going to the Health Fair again. Joanne DiPlacido proposed the idea of getting a table cloth for the Work/Life Balance Sub-committee or they could use CCW tablecloth banner.

Eight out of ten peer institutions have child care available. They have a lot of ideas, such as having a family resource center. Richard Bashoo had indicated that the standard for new buildings is there needs to be a family bathroom and a lactation room.

Myrna Garcia-Bowen asked if there are services for faculty member with a child with a disability. Leah Glaser reported there currently there is no training or support for this. One idea would be to post specifically on the sitting site need for assistance of this type.

Leah Glaser mentioned she had talked with Liz Hicks, there had been effort in the past to have the child care service in a dormitory. Another idea had been to have apartment or dorm space for family.

 

7. Women's Center Report



No report.

 

8. Announcements:



a. CCW end of the year social - Thursday May 19th, 12:30 pm-2:00 pm in the Marcus White Living Room

b. Sexual Assault Survivor's Support Group every Tues. 3:30-4:00 in the Women's Center Lounge, Student Center Rm. 215 facilitated by the campus victim advocate from SACS.

Need to get the word out on this support group. One idea is for Jacqueline Cobbina-Boivin to forward an email to CCW and WGSS. Sandra Matthews indicated she sees the poster on campus and has shared the information with Residence Life staff.

c. An email will be sent out at the beginning of the fall semester with our monthly meeting times and locations for the year

CCW is not the only committee having difficulty setting up meetings since the new class schedule. Myrna Garcia-Bowen indicated this concern could be brought up to the Provost. This will be considered, it is a good idea.

 

Joanne DiPlacido added that a lot has been accomplished this year and encouraged members to come to the CCW Reception.



Motion was made to adjourn by Myrna Garcia-Bowen and seconded by Bobbie Koplowicz.

 

 


The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page