|POLITICAL PARTIES REVIEW QUIZ
1. Which of the following is a key part of the definition of voting?
a. available only to members of political parties b. a right and a responsibility c. required by law d. available only to members of the Electoral College
2. Who is the leader of a political party?
a. a precinct captain b. a poll watcher c. a chairperson d. an elector
3. Which of the following applies to people in the United States?
a. are required to join one of the two major political parties b. must be a member of a political party in order to vote c. cannot join political parties until they are 21 d. may choose whether to join any political party, or none
4. Which statement explains why the United States has political parties? a. to enable large numbers of people to accomplish things through government b. to encourage people to vote c. to fulfill the requirements of the Constitution d. to provide election candidates
5. A proposal by a third party that becomes popular might lead to which of the following statements?
a. soon be forgotten because it was offered by a third party b. lead to the creation of a one-party system c. be adopted by the major parties d. change the organization of political parties
6. Advantages of the two-party system include which of the following choices?
a. There is a second strong party to take over government if the voters so desire b. One party is able to win a majority of the votes c. Voters have a choice d. All of the above
7. The philosophy of having business decisions guiding government officials and in the best interest of labor unions most reflects which of the following parties?
a. Republicans b. Third parties c. Democrats d. All current American political parties
8. Read the following excerpt: “Democrats believe that government knows what is best for individuals. They argue that federal bureaucrats better understand the needs of a community than a locally elected council and the federal government should define the tax burden necessary to meet its obligations, because this is too complicated for individuals to understand” The excerpt above by the Democrats reflects which of the following aspects of the American political system?
a. the Economy b. taxes and government spending c. core beliefs d. national defense
9. The following excerpt reflects the philosophy of which current American political party? “Each person is responsible for his or her own place in society. Government should enable each person the ability to secure the benefits of society for themselves, their families and for those who are unable to care for themselves.”
a. Democratic b. Republican c. Moderate d. Third Party
10. The following excerpt reflects the philosophy of which current American political party? “It is the responsibility of government to care for all individuals, even if it means giving up some individual rights and/or subordinating enterprise and initiative.”
a. Independent b. Republican c. Third Party d. Democrat