|Name________________Date Due_11_22_Tuesday. Posted on internet 11_20_Sunday
Chapter 18 section 1 pages 506 through 511
Setting the Stage for War
A. Explain why rivalries increased among European nations
Main Idea: In the late 1800s and early 1900s, conflicting interests in Europe set the stage for World War I
Read the section below and answer the following short answer question: How did militarism grow out of the conflicts among European nations?
Nationalism, Imperialism, and Militarism
1. After the Congress of Vienna in 1815, there was relative harmony among European countries. T F
2. The competition for overseas colonies (imperialism) was not one of the factors that was plunging Europe into war. TF
3. The Balkans was experiencing nationalism and wanted to gain more political unity. TF
4. Another word for the glorification of armed strength, and the belief that a country's goals could only be achieved through military force is called ?_________ by the late 1800s European nations had built well-trained armies. T F
5. In 1906 what country launches the Dreadnought?______ what is the Dreadnought?____________ what country begins to develop its Navy to rival Great Britain's___________? Study the picture on page 506 of the Dreadnought, this battleship was the first battleship to possess what two technical achievements?__________and________.
Now look at the phrase in bold in question four and answer the short response question: How did militarism grow out of the conflicts among European nations?
The System of Alliances:
Now read the following section and answer the short response question: why did European nations form alliances?
6. What two countries, unified, and changed the balance of power in Europe?________-and____. Prussia, the dominant and powerful German state along with Bismarck the strong-willed Chancellor had created the_________ Empire.
7. What country is Bismarck trying to keep isolated in fear that it might retaliate for the Franco Prussian war?_________ what country is Bismarck trying to keep France from forming an alliance with?________ why? What is Bismarck afraid of?_
8. Austria-Hungary, and Italy joined Bismarck in order to form the Triple Alliance. T F. What is it that Austria-Hungary and Italy promise to do is Bismarck goes to war?________
9. In 1894, Russia out of gratitude to France for helping them out of a financial crisis signed a military alliance with France. T F
10. Now Germany faced enemies to its east and west. Name both these enemies__________and_________-
11. Great Britain, feared Germany's naval buildup. T F and signed an alliance with France and Russia what is the name given to this alliance?________ ___________
12. Italy signed an agreement with France and Russia but they were secret, Italy also had an agreement with Germany and Austria-Hungary so Italy had a foot in both alliances. T F. Name the countries in each of the alliances: what country belong to both camps?
13. Triple Alliance Triple Entente
14. The six nations formed these alliances in order to maintain the balance of power. T F
Now answer the short response question why did European nations form alliances. Look at questions 14 and the answer in bold.
The Balkan "Powder Keg"
Now answer the short response question: why were the Balkans at the center of the conflict between European powers?
15. Study the map on page 508 find Serbia, then find Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Adriatic Sea. The Congress of Berlin in 1878 had made Serbia and independent country. T F. Serbia is landlocked. T F what country angers Serbia by annexing Bosnia and Herzegovina?________ why this Serbia want the territories of Bosnia and Herzegovina?________________
16. Russia is a Slavic country and saw itself as the protector of the Balkan Slavs. T F the movement that called for political and cultural unity of all Slavs under Russian leadership is called__________ ___________.
17. Find Baghdad on the map on page 508. Who does Germany wanted to bring into the triple alliance?_________ Germany wants to build a railroad into the Balkans through Constantinople all the way to Baghdad. TF what two countries are opposed to this railroad?_________and_________. Does Austria-Hungary, an ally of Germany support Slavic nationalism where Russia would be the leader of all Slavs, another words does the triple alliance support Pan Slavism?__________
18. What is the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina?________ find Sarajevo on the map on page 508. Who is the heir to the Austrian- Hungarian throne? Archduke Francis__________. Gavrilo Princip is a member of what nationalist group_______. As the Archduke and his wife ride in an open mobile what happens to them?___________ are Serbian officials also implicated?____
19. If one party threatens harmful action if the demands it has made are not met what is the name of this action?__________ what kind of action was Austria-Hungary threatening to use against Serbia if it's ultimatums were not met?___________.
20. In total how many demands did Austria-Hungary make?____How many were accepted by the Serbs?__ And how many were rejected__what was the fourth demand made by the Austrians that Serbia would not accept? What month, day, and year did the ultimatum expire?_____________
21. How many days expired between June 28, 1914 and July 28, 1914?___________
Now answer the short response question why were the Balkans at the center of the conflict between European powers? Look at questions 15 and 16.
Mobilization of Europe
Read the following section and try to summarize the event that led to Britain entering the war against Germany.
22. In 1839 the great powers of Europe had guaranteed what country's neutrality?____________ why does Germany makes fun of this" scrap of paper"?___________ does Germany respect Belgium's neutrality?_________ what country enters the war because Germany disregards Belgium's neutrality.
Now answer the short response question: what event led Great Britain to enter the war against Germany? Look at question 22.
The War Expands
Read the following section and answer the short response question: why did Italy joined the war against Germany and its allies
23. Italy, does not give aid to the Triple Alliance claiming the alliance was for defense only, instead signed a secret treaty with the Triple Entente. T F what is Italy promised by the Triple Entente?___________
24. Why is it important for the Triple Alliance to have the Ottoman Empire on their side? Whose Navy could they keep bottled up?___________ Germany persuades what other Slavic country to enter the war__________?
Now answer the short response question: why did Italy joined the war against Germany and its allies? Look at question 23.