2 million 2 billion 30 million 30 billion
2. The Manhattan project cost how much in today’s dollars?
3. The atomic bomb was tested _____ after scientists first started at Los Alamos.
28 months 36 months 60months
4. Many scientists immigrated to the United States from Europe in the 1930’s because:
5. Nuclear fission is the:
6. During fission:
7. In the late 1930’s scientists such as Leo Szilard feared the fact that:
8. A letter warning President Roosevelt of German uranium research was written by:
9. Italian physicist Enrico Fermi came to the United States with his wife:
10. The scientists who studied the feasibility of a sustained chain reaction were: (pick two)
11. The first problem in developing the atomic bomb was:
12. President Roosevelt approved the development of an atomic bomb:
13. The first uranium reactor was located at:
14. The weapons grade fuel needed for the first atomic bomb was:
Hydrogen Uranium-235 Uranium-238 Uranium-571
15. The ratio of U-235 to U-238 is:
1:2 1:139 2:1 235:238
16. Separating U-235 from U-238 was a problem because:
17. The two methods of separating U-235 from U-238 were: (pick two)
18. The lead scientist at Los Alamos was:
250 1500 2500 3500
20. The facility that had to keep constantly expanding at Los Alamos was the:
21. In the “gun design” atomic bomb:
22. Plutonium is:
23. Gaseous diffusion:
24. Oak Ridge was the _____ largest town in Tennessee by the end of the war.
2nd 3rd 4th 5th
25. The K-25 building used ___ of the electrical energy in the United States for gaseous diffusion.
2% 5% 10% 15%
27. It was important for the plutonium bomb to work because: (pick two)
28. The Plutonium bomb was nicknamed:
“Little Boy” “Fat Man” “Pluto” “Tokyo Surprise”
29. The test of the implosion (plutonium) bomb at Los Alamos was called:
30. Before the test there was speculation that the atomic bomb would:
31. The blast from the bomb exploding at Los Alamos was equal to ______ tons of TNT.
10,000 20,000 30,000 40,000
32. Many of the scientists in the Manhattan Project wanted the bomb:
33. “Little Boy” caused what damage to Hiroshima? (pick two)