Mainland south heritage society archival finding aid



Download 0.87 Mb.
Page1/8
Date conversion19.05.2016
Size0.87 Mb.
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

MAINLAND SOUTH HERITAGE SOCIETY

ARCHIVAL FINDING AID

LAST UPDATED: MAY 2003

Page of





Name

Accession #

Description

Aitkin, Max (Lord Beaverbrook)

94.54.2

article, Halifax Herald, June 10, 1963, by James Gowan.
Aitkin rented a cottage near the Lawson property on the NWA, on the 'three penny lot' when he was working in Halifax as a young man.
Pearson McCurdy said it was "on the hill below the yacht squadron"

Armdale Girls' Chorus

97.13.1

compilation of clippings on the Armdale Glee Club, Armdale Girls' Choir, Armdale Chorus and Armdale Girls' Chorus. Founded as a Rhythm band in 1934 under the direction of Mary Dee Girroir of Melville Cove, it grew into the Armdale Glee Club in 1937. They achieved national and international prominence with regular CBC broadcasts in the 1940s and a NFB film in 1953. Article, September 1994 in Canadian Home Journal.

Armdale: Akerlund interview

00.26.5

oral history interview with Mrs. Wilma (Tapp) Akerlund, March 18, 1999.
Mrs. Akerlund grew up in Armdale, living on Dutch Village Road in the Doull house (formerly the Downs Zoological Gardens) and later on the St. Margaret's Bay Road. She attended Miss Piers' school. Her grandmother lived at Hiddenhurst on the Edmonds Grounds.

Armdale: water mains

02.6.4

memo from PSC re extension of water mains in Spryfield, Armdale, Jollimore areas

Armdale: article

93.4

article from the 'Nova Scotian', May 11, 1990
Fenerty: Mayflowering in Old Armdale

Armdale: articles

92.10

Articles from the 'Nova Scotian':
Fenerty: Armdale was a Quiet Place
Fenerty: Remembering Armdale
Robertson: A Site for Industry

Armdale: bridge




monthly telephone bulletin, July-August 1955, v.XLVIII #7 and 8, p. 140
o/s TK M33

Armdale: description and history




NSARM

MG100 v148 #32

growth 1935: MG1 v1767 #44

history: MG100 v104 #31

history: Kay Hill v/ms file, Armdale


Armdale: Edmonds Grounds

93.2

21 slides of the Edmonds Ground taken in 1985 just before redevelopment as Regatta Point

Armdale: newspaper photo

91.3

newspaper photo 'early morning depicting the beauty of the NWA' showing the houses along Armshore Drive from the water.

Armdale: people in wartime

97.16.2

clippings of various people from the Armdale area during wartime

Armdale: Raine interview

91.3

interview with Mrs. Edna (Fenton) Raine of 14 Armshore Drive

Armdale: Rotary

95.32.1

Lorna Inness column July 25-Aug 7, 1952

'That was the week...'

with photos of traffic jam August 1952, aerial view, Head of Arm October 6, 1955
photocopied from Spryfield Mirror 95.34


Armdale: walkway

91.3

newspaper article, May 29, 1987, regarding the proposed walkway from Regatta Point along the shoreline of the St. George Greek Orthodox church.
Also article of June 10, 1987

Atlantic Sugar House Ltd.




photo at NSARM, copy in MSHS collection
map (undated) showing refinery 95.78.9
incorporated 1882, reported to provincial secretary in '83 and '84
torn down 1926 by Pearson McCurdy (some say it was F.B. McCurdy, who first owned the property and gave it to Pearson) because it was considered dangerous. Some of the stone and beams used in P. McCurdy's new house Cottsleigh (now RNSYS clubhouse)

Avalanche: Ferguson's Cove

94.14

description of an avalanche at Ferguson's Cove from the 'Acadian Recorder' March 24,1849

bakery: The Spryfield Bakery




located on the Herring Cove Road, on the right heading out of town, just past Sussex Street. (Opposite the IGA store in the 1980s) Dickie Drake ran it, Wally Beazley owned it. Ben Slaunwhite worked there age 14. (information from Ben Slaunwhite)

Bald Rock: 2nd World War

00.41

Gow, Jean Donald, Alongside the Navy, 1910-1950: an Intimate Account. Ottawa, 1999. A reminiscense including life in wartime Halifax with mention of the submarine nets, York Redoubt, smuggling, Bald Rock, Sleepy Cove, Duncan's Cove, and the wreck of the Clare Lilley at Portuguese Cove.

banks: Royal Bank of Canada

99.8

historical material on the Royal Bank, Spryfield Branch, collected by the branch for a display on the 31st anniversary of the branch opening in 1964. Contains advertising material from 1964, 1965, 1970 and a list of managers. Also 2 photographs of the branch manager presenting the material to MSHS member Heather Watts.

barytes mill, NWA

96.18

copy prepared for the MSHS Heritage display on Industry:
Chandler Electric Light Co.

Fenerty's Skate Factory

Fenerty's Shovel Factory

Brush Factory

Barytes Mill

Coughlan Marble and Granite



Henderson & Potts Paint Works

Bauld, Henry G.

93.12

remembrances of Henry G. Bauld in the 1940s (when he was in his 80s) from Barbara Fisher. She used to accompany him to "the Camp" which was the barn of the Micmac Game & Fish Club in Harrietsfield, which he had bought after the Micmac Club burned, and turned into a summer home. Bauld had been a founder of the original club.

Bennett family, Armdale




"The Birches" on the St. Margaret's Bay Road was the home of the Bennett family from ca. 1886. Mrs. Joseph Bennett, Charles H. Bennett, Miss Jean Bennett. The house was sold in 1956 to Frank M. Leaman. MSHS member Iris Shea was a nurse at Northwood when Miss Jean Bennett was there. (information from Iris Shea)

books: 250 Years Young

93.10.1

250 Years Young, Our Diocesan Story 1710-1960. Published in thanksgiving for 250 years of continuous Anglican worship in the area comprising the diocese of Nova Scotia.

books: Alongside the Navy

0.41

Gow, Jean Donald, Alongside the Navy, 1910-1950: an Intimate Account. Ottawa, 1999. A reminiscense including life in wartime Halifax with mention of the submarine nets, York Redoubt, smuggling, Bald Rock, Sleepy Cove, Duncan's Cove, and the wreck of the Clare Lilley at Portuguese Cove.

books: Areas/Detailed Planning

93.25.2

Areas for Detailed Planning. Report prepared by the Municipal Development Plan Committee, 1977

Books: Beyond the NWA

95.59

Watts, Heather M., Beyond the North West Arm: A Local History of Williams' Lake.
Researched and written for the Williams' Lake Conservation Company, 1979, revised and updated 1994.

books: Can. Child. Own Reader

01.3.1

textbook: Canadian Children's Own Readers, book one, Ginn & Co.
This copy was used by Flora Nicholson in the Spryfield school in 1942.

books: cookbook (Spryfield?)

4.16.3

cookbook: cover missing, therefore unidentified but the advertisements and names indicate a Spryfield group.

books: cookbook, Harrietsfield

99.5

"Cooking Favorites of Harrietsfield"

cookbook of the Harrietsfield Fire Auxiliary (in poor condition)



books: cookbook, Spryfield

94.16.1

cookbook: Rockingstone Favourites sponsored by the Merchants Association of Spryfield Town Centre

books: Coote Cove

00.4

Wright, H. Millard, Coote Cove (Crystal Crescent) The Story of an Abandoned Community, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, 1794-1945.

books: Discovering Our Past...

01.21.2

Discovering Our Past from Armdale to Pennant", a compilation of articles written by Iris Shea.

books: Dun & Bradstreet 1948

97.10.2

reference book for credit ratings of merchants, manufacturers and traders in the Maritime Provinces.

books: Evolution/Hfx Fortress

93.10.2

Piers, Harry. Evolution of the Halifax Fortress 1749-1928. Halifax: PANS, 1947.

books: History of Halifax City

95.65

Akins, Thomas Beamish Akins, History of Halifax City. Originally published 1847 and 1895, reprinted 1973(?)

books: Joe

94.25.1

Fowke, H. Shirley, Joe or A Pair of Corduroy Breeches. self published 1971

books: Kidston genealogy (Tait)

99.17

John Kidston Tait, The Kidstons of Logie, edition 2, 1991

Definitive genealogy of the Kidston family around the world to 1991.



books: Managemnt/Sm. Hist. Mus.

94.16.2

Guthe, Carl E., The Management of Small History Museums. Nashville: The American Association for State and Local History, 1977.

books: NS Readers sixth book

02.6.9




books: NS Vital Statistics

93.10.3

Nova Scotia Vital Statistics from Newspapers, 1769-1812. Genealogical Committee of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, publication #5.

books: NS Vital Statistics

93.10.4

Nova Scotia Vital Statistics from Newspapers, 1813-1822. Genealogical Committee of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, publication #1.

books: NS Vital Statistics

93.10.5

Nova Scotia Vital Statistics from Newspapers, 1823-1828. Genealogical Committee of the Nova Scotia Historical Society, publication #3.

books: NS Vital Statistics

93.10.6

Nova Scotia Vital Statistics from Newspapers, 1829-1834. Genealogical Association of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society, publication #6.

books: NSHR v3 #1 1983

95.60

Nova Scotia Historical Review, article by Barbara Shaw "There's No Life Like It: Reminiscences of Lightkeeping on Sambro Island"

books: Place Names of NS

94.25.3

Place Names and Places of Nova Scotia, Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1974

books: Purcell's Cove

00.39

Millington, Elsie (Purcell), Purcell's Cove: the Little Place that Helped Build Halifax City. self published, 2000.

books: Race to Fame

95.59

Darrach, Claude, Race to Fame, the Inside Story of the Bluenose

books: Schools fm Armdale/Pennant

95.40

Shea, Iris, Schools From Armdale to Pennant: a Collecion of Historical Information and Photographs. Compiled by the Mainland South Heritage Society 1995

books: Sketches & Traditions

99.16

Regan, John W. Sketches & Traditions of the Northwest Arm. First published 1908, facsimile edition 1978.

books: The Church of Saint Paul

94.16.4

Harris, Reginald V., The Church of Saint Paul in Halifax, Nova Scotia: 1749-1949

Toronto: Ryerson Press, 1949



books: Land Development Distrib.

93.25.1

Land Development Distribution Strategy, Technical Report Transportation. Planning Department, City of Halifax, June 1976.

books: Memories of Harrietsfield

01.21.1

A compilation of articles on Harrietsfield written by Eric Salmonson

Boutilier's Ferry: 1945

97.3b

good photocopy of newspaper photograph of the line-up for Boutilier's ferry on a warm day in 1945. The ferry landing was at the foot of Oakland Road on the peninsula and in The Dingle on the western shore. Since few people had cars, the ferry gave people access to the beaches and park across the NWA.

Brookfield, S.M.: quarry

95.80

photocopied pages from Wm. A. Parks, "Report on the Building and Ornamental Stones of Canada, Vol.2, Maritime Provinces", 1914.
text refers to quarries worked by John Cline, Isaac, Andrew and Amos Yeadon, Francis Coughlan; S.M. Brookfield at Terence Bay, and to quarries formerly worked by the government (Queens Quarry) at Purcell's Cove.

Brown, George

97.1.6

poor quality photocopies of photos of George Brown and The Fisherman's Crew, 1876 (97.1.5)
newspaper articles about the memorial service and dedication of memorial pulpit at St. James Church, Herring Cove in 1926 (97.1.6)

brush factory, NWA

96.18

copy prepared for the MSHS Heritage display on Industry:
Chandler Electric Light Co.

Fenerty's Skate Factory

Fenerty's Shovel Factory

Brush Factory

Barytes Mill

Coughlan Marble and Granite

Henderson & Potts Paint Works


calendar: MSHS heritage 1992

92.21

Iceboating, Williams' Lake

Melville Island Prison, 1928

Herring Cove Road, 1943

Barns at Kidston Farm, 1923

Cows at Drysdale Farm, Herring Cove Road

the Atlantic Sugar House, ca. 1900

Boultilier's Boat Rental 1937

Herring Cove, 1895; Cunard School, 1922

the Rockingstone

Thomas Hosterman House, Armdale, 1936

Arm Bridge, ca. 1870


calendar: MSHS heritage 1993

92.21

Emmanuel Church, Spryfield

Sleigh on Church St. Spryfield

Moving a Boulder, Jollimore

York Redoubt Tramway; Sambro Light 1926

Umlah Farm, ca. 1930

Toll gate at Kidston farm, 1937

Pilot Boats at Purcell's Cove

ARP Group in Spryfield, ca. 1943

Head of NWA from Chebucto Road, ca. 1940

the Mont Blanc anchor Edmonds' Grounds

Jollimore from the NWA, before 1908


calendar: MSHS heritage 1995

95.1

Kidston farm, Spryfield, ca. 1930

St. Paul's Church & Glebe, Herring Cove

Herring Cove Road, Spryfield, 1952

view of Ketch Harbour, 1879

St. Augustine's Church, Jollimore, c1930

the Lear family at Fairmount 1898

Explosion cloud over Melville Cove 1945

Herring Cove Rd. at Old Sambro Rd

Schooner Monica A. Thomas;

Pinegrove Hotel; Stella Maris Church FC.

Storage Sheds, Portuguese Cove


calendar: MSHS heritage 1996

96.15

Cutting wood at Sambro, 1932

Parsons Ocean Power Plant, Herring Cove

St. John the Baptist Chapel, 1920

Queen's Quarry, Purcell's Cove 1916

Spring Concert, Spryfield School ca.1927

Students, Harrietsfield School, 1939

Regatta, NWA, 1920; Dart Farm Spryfield;

Shady Side Canteen Melville Cove 1933

Dredging for Gold Melville Cove 1930s

Ferne and Chesley Knowlton, PC, 1943

Coot Cove near Sambro, ca. 1935


calendar: MSHS heritage 1997

96.36

Drysdale's Hyland Dairy Milkwagon 1950

Head of NWA early 1950s

Sambro ca. 1948; Portuguese Cove, 1950s

Blades Lumber Mill, 1926

Rev. A.F. Dentith

Dentith Road Fire Station 1949

Westhaver's Store, Herring Cove 1941

Ketch Harbour Schoolchildren, ca. 1896

Fraser Farm Harrietsfield, 1960

Art Gilfoy and his mother Harrietsfield

St. Augustine's Ladies' Guild 1944


calendar: MSHS heritage 2000

00.5

Melville Cove Hockey Team 1938

Kline Heights Aces, 1930s

John W. O'Neill, 1909

Spryfield School 1939; Cunard class Jollimore 1923; PC Ladies Softball 1925,

Frasers of Harrietsfield 1910

Nickersons of Sambro Creek 1910

Rodgers of Bald Rock 1915

Margaret (Reyno) Morgan with bicycle

Visitors at the Dart Farm, 1930

Amos Yeadon, ca. 1924



calendar: MSHS heritage 2001

00.33

SS Clare Lilley; Ferguson's Cove 1940s

Nickerson family East Pennant

Greenwood house, Sambro

Building of Long Lake Dam Road (Dentith)

Armdale Girl's Chorus, 1945

the Barge Hellenall 1933

Kidston family, 1921

Ketch Harbour class of 1921

Jollimore Brownies, ca. 1936

John A. Keddy farm Harrietsfield c.1908

Ketch Harbour Lighthouse, ca. 1938


calendar: MSHS heritage 2003




SS Unranium on rocks Chebucto Head 1913

Central Spryfield grade 9, 1950

The Hebridean, Herring Cove, ca 1939

Leitch cabin Colpitt Lake, ca. 1950

Ketch Harbour ca. 1948

Emma Brunt & Myrtle Forbes, Harrietsfld

Melville Island, ca. 1948

Trolly track, Pur.Cove Quarry ca. 1915

Jollimore shoreline, 1890s

Spryfld Fire Dept. ca. 1948

View fm Long Cove//St John the Baptist


calendars: MSHS heritage




photos, descriptions, correspondence

calendars are in open calendar file



calendar 1992

91.4




calendar 1993

92.21




calendar 1995

95.1




calendar 1996

96.15




calendar 1997

96.36




calendar 2000

00.5




calendar 2001

00.33




Camp 12, Harrietsfield




Fishing club near the Rod and Gun Club, Harrietsfield. Story that Mayor MacIlraith arranged for the grant of land at Harry's Lake for Sam Jollimore and Sam lived there until he died. Later Sam Boutilier lived there. Many Jollimore people used the camp. (information from Eric Salmonson)
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8


The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page