MAINE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATIVE DISTRICT NO. 40
Friendship * Waldoboro * Warren * Washington * Union
1070 Heald Hwy.* PO Box 701 * Union * Maine * 04862
(207) 785-2277 Fax (207) 785-3119
Pamela J. Carnahan, Superintendent Scott Vaitones, Business Manager
Susan R. Jackson, Director of Instruction Karen Etheridge, Director of Student Services
School Board Meeting Agenda
March 19, 2009
Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
Medomak Middle School
Agenda Topic Approximate Time
I. Opening 7:00 p.m.
A. Call to Order
1. Pledge of Allegiance
2. Declaration of Quorum
3. Note Absences
4. Adjustments to the Agenda
B. Board Recognition of Students or Programs
1. Recognize MVHS Drama members for their participation March 6 and 7, 2009, in the regional One Act Competition at Camden Hills Regional High School. MVHS student actors Noelle Beck, Malcolm Valaitis, Brenden Peters and Ivy Gardner received “All Cast Awards” for outstanding acting.
2. Recognize Medomak Middle School Cheering Team for its 2009 Busline League Championship. Team members being recognized are: Head Coach Leanne Young, Assistant Coach Kelsey Snyder and cheerleaders Kelsie Grady, Mollie Strunk, Lori Meservey, Tiffany Turner, Haley Mank, Amanda Dever, Jennica Smith, Abby Johnson, Brittini Gracie, Megan Boyington, Katelynn Connolly, Nicole Angelico, Jocelyn Erickson, Angela Gray, Olivia Hawes, Lyndsey Miller, Charlene Wilbur, Elizabeth York, and Mary Feltis.
Recognize Medomak Valley High School Varsity Cheering
Coach Rachel Coor for being named 2009 KVAC Class B Coach of the Year.
II. Audience with the Public 30 minutes
III. Reports from Parent-Teacher Groups and Student Councils
IV. Consent Agenda
A. Review Minutes of January 29, 2009
B. Review Minutes of February 26, 2009
C. Review Minutes of March 5, 2009
V. Superintendent and/Or Chair Reports/Questions & Answers
A. Superintendent’s Report:
1. Stimulus Package
2. Discussion on 2009-2010 School Calendar
B. Board Chair’s Report
VI. Reports from Schools
VII. Action Items
A. High School Field Trip to Boston: Faneuil Hall and Boston Pops (day trip) (hard copy only)
B. High School Senior Trip: Massachusetts (Saturday, May 23, Sunday May 24)
C. Decision on proceeds of the property sale on 17 Philbrook Street
Year or Level
Assistant Track Coach, Medomak Middle School
VIII. Committee Reports
Second Reading of Policy KCD: Public Gifts/Donations to the Schools
Second Reading of Policy JICB: Care of School Property by Students
Second Reading of Policy BEDH: Public Participation at Board Meetings
G. Region 8 Committee
H. Technology Committee
I. Safe Schools Committee
IX. Executive Session 1 MRSA 405 (6) (A): Investigation of complaints against a person or persons
X. Action as the Result of Executive Session
XI. Executive Session 1 M.R.S.A. 405 (6)(B): Negotiations with MVEA
XII. Action as the Result of Executive Session
XIII. Other Items/Adjournment 10:30 p.m.
All meetings of the Board, except executive sessions, will be open to the public. All actions of the Board will be taken openly and the deliberations leading to Board action will likewise be conducted openly. The public and district employees are encouraged to attend Board meetings. A time of up to thirty minutes in duration for comments by visitors at Board meetings will be scheduled at the beginning of the Board’s agenda. Board committee meetings are open to the public. Public input is welcomed but the Board Chair may need to limit discussion.