Mini-Lesson / Content:
1) Galileo’s Discoveries (H)
- What did Galileo discover? (H)
- Why might this cause problems with the church?
2) Galileo Pics (H) (O)
- What do you see?
- How does Galileo conduct research? (H)
3) Pope Urban Quote (H) (O)
- Who is the pope?
- How does he get his information about the world?
- What is Urban’s message to Galileo? (H)
- If you were Galileo, how would you respond?
- What is a better source of information, scientific observation OR reading the bible?
4) Galileo Response (H)
- How does Galileo respond to Pope Urban? (H)
- What does he say about his critics?
- What does “These men use the Bible and a pretended religion as a shield for their lies.” (the last line
in the quote) mean?
5) Trial of Galileo Picture (HO)
- Describe what you see.
- Which one is Galileo?
- Who are the people surrounding him?
- Who do you think is going to win this trial?
6) The Inquisition of Galileo (H)
- What happened to Galileo? (H)
- What were the charges against Galileo?
- Were these fair?
- What should the Church do to Galileo?
7) Galileo in Prison (O) Picture (HO)
- What was Galileo’s sentence?
- Were these punishments fair?
- What would happen to Galileo if he disobeyed any of these punishments? (Death by Burning)
8) Renaissance Times (H) (ACTIVITY)***
- Which would you do if you were Galileo?
- Does Galileo have many options?
- What do you think Galileo actually does?
9) Reveal Galileo’s decision
10) Pope Absolves Galileo (O) [interesting only if time allows]
- What happened?