|Historical Focus: The Great Awakening
Answer these questions on your own paper or word processing document FIRST. Then use your answers to complete the assignment check found under quizzes in the course.
1. Why did the pioneers on the frontier often not attend church?
2. True or False? In the years prior to the Great Awakening, religion had become less rigid and influential.
3. Jonathan Edwards’ most famous sermon was delivered in Enfield, Connecticut, in 1741. What was it called?
4. How did Whitefield's methods of preaching differ from Edwards?
5. What founding father emptied his pockets into the collection plate upon hearing Whitefield preach?
6. True or False? Part of the Great Awakening included an intentional effort to bring the message of Christianity to African Americans and American Indians.
7. True or False? Those who opposed the Great Awakening and its methods were known as "New Lights."
8. True or False? The Enlightenment and the Great Awakening contributed to religious freedom in America.
9. What religious groups grew the most from the Great Awakening?
10. What are some of the profound consequences that the Great Awakening had on the future of America?