1. Which best describes the structure of the text in paragraph 2?
a) Compare and contrast
b) Problem and solution
c) Chronological order
d) Spatial order
2. Which of the following expresses the correct order of events?
a) Gutenberg was born in Mainz, invested in mirrors, and then became a goldsmith.
b) Gutenberg created the printing press, printed the bible, and then invented the metal mirror.
c) Gutenberg went to college, revealed his press, and then invested in shiny mirrors.
d) Gutenberg studied goldsmithing, invented the printing press, and then lost his shop.
3. Which best explains why Gutenberg’s plan to sell mirrors failed?
a) The mirrors were less popular than he had expected.
b) Flooding delayed the event for an entire year.
c) Too many other people had the same idea.
d) Newly invented glass mirrors rendered his metal mirrors obsolete.
4. Which of the following did Gutenberg invent?
a) Reflective mirrors b) The printing press with movable type
c) Written language d) Scientific inquiry
5. Which is not listed in the text as a movement to which Gutenberg’s idea contributed?
a) The Great Schism b) The Scientific Revolution
c) The Renaissance d) The Age of Enlightenment
6. Which of the following is best supported by evidence from the text?
a) Gutenberg’s idea was a tremendous success that made him incredibly wealthy.
b) Gutenberg’s idea didn’t catch on in his lifetime, but grew very popular after his death.
c) Gutenberg’s idea did not make him rich but spread very quickly.
d) Gutenberg’s idea did not catch on right away but made him incredibly rich over time.
7. Which best explains why most people were illiterate during Gutenberg’s time?
a) Books were rare and very expensive.
b) The public school system had not yet been created.
c) Writing had not yet been invented.
d) Emperor Charlemagne made reading and writing illegal for common people.
8. Which best expresses the author’s purpose in writing this text?
a) To describe what life was like during the Middle Ages
b) To persuade people to read and write more
c) To chart the spread of printing technologies across Europe
d) To provide biographical information about Johannes Gutenberg
9. Which best explains why so few of Gutenberg’s bibles were sold to private individuals?
a) Gutenberg wanted to use his talents to help churches and universities.
b) Gutenberg’s Bible was pretty expensive and most people couldn’t read.
c) Most Europeans were not religious and did not care about the bible.
d) Gutenberg’s investors forbade him from selling the bibles to private individuals.
10. Which of the following titles best expresses the main idea of this text?
a) Investing Wisely: Turning Your Good Ideas into Money
b) How to Make Books Using the Gutenberg Method
c) The City of Mainz: Life in Medieval Germany
d) Gutenberg: A Man Who Changed the World