Gangs of New York (2002)Leonardo DiCapria, Cameron Diaz In 1863, Amsterdam Vallon returns to the Five Points area of New York City seeking revenge against Bill the Butcher, his father's killer.
Garfield: The Movie (2004)
* Gaslight (1944) NR 114m, Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotton, Angela Lansbury Paula's aunt Alice Alquist, a famous entertainer, is murdered in her home. Paula, who lives with her aunt finds the body. Police fail to find the killer and Paula is sent away to school. Ten years later, Paula returns to London with her new husband. They take up residence in her aunt's house, which she has inherited. Paula is increasingly isolated by her husband but does come to the attention of an admirerer of her aunt, Mr. Brian Cameron. (decades)
The General (1998) John Voight The real-life story of Dublin folk hero and criminal Martin Cahill, who pulled off two daring robberies in Ireland with his team, but attracted unwanted attention from the police, the IRA, the UVF and members of his own team.
(2) @ The General (1926) Buster Keaton Johnnie loves his train ("The General") and Annabelle Lee. When the Civil War begins he is turned down for service because he's more valuable as an engineer. Annabelle thinks it's because he's a coward. Union spies capture The General with Annabelle on board. Johnny must rescue both his loves. (followed by other of his shorter films)Use 1:50:00 to end of film for keystone kops chase. :16:25 train chase during civil war(decade)
Gettesburg (1993) PG The four and 1/4 hour depiction of the historical and personal events surrounding and including the decisive American civil war battle features thousands of civil war re-enactors marching over the exact ground that the federal army and the army of North Virginia fought on. The defense of the Little Round Top and Pickett's Charge are highlighted in the actual three day battle which is surrounded by the speeches of the commanding officers and the personal reflections of the fighting men. Based upon the novel 'The Killer Angels'. 0:27:45 - :30:00 maine soldier speech; 1:10:30 Why rebs fighting? Free slaves? No my rights; 1:42:xx British notes all England ties; 1:46:xx general friends going against each other
* Ghandi (1982) Aw, Aw, Aw Ben Kingsly The biography of Mohandas K. Gandhi, who rose from a small-time lawyer to India's spiritual leader through his philosophy of non-violent but direct-action protest. (genre – bio)
Ghost (1990) Whoopi Goldberg AW, Patrick Swazee, Demi Moore After being killed during a botched mugging, a man's love for his partner enables him to remain on earth as a ghost.
Ghost Rider (2007) PG-13 DVD When the motorcyclist Johnny Blaze finds that his father Barton Blaze has a terminal cancer, he accepts a pact with the Mephistopheles, giving his soul for the health of his beloved father. But the devil deceives him, and Barton dies in a motorcycle accident during an exhibition. Johnny leaves the carnival, his town, his friends and his girlfriend Roxanne. Years later Johnny Blaze becomes a famous motorcyclist, who risks his life in his shows, and he meets Roxanne again, now a TV reporter. However, Mephistopheles proposes Johnny to release his contract if he become the "Ghost Rider" and defeat his evil son Blackheart, who wants to possess one thousand evil souls and transform hell on earth
Giant (1956) 201 m, NR Aw, Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean Texan rancher Bick Benedict visits a Maryland farm to buy a prize horse. Whilst there he meets and falls in love with the owner's daughter Leslie, they are married immediately and return to his ranch. The story of their family and its rivalry with cowboy and (later oil tycoon) Jett Rink unfolds across two generations.
* Gigi (1958)(with Batman, ’89) Aw, Aw, (won 8 academy awards) Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier In turn-of-the-century Paris, Gaston Lachaille is a bon vivant much like his uncle, Honore (who thanks heaven for little girls). But Gaston is becoming bored with the high life ... especially the women. He only truly enjoys the time that he spends with one of his uncle's old friends, Madame Alvarez, and her grand-daughter, the precocious and carefree Gigi. Gigi is being groomed to follow in her grandmother's footsteps as a famous courtesan. It suddenly occurs to Gaston that he could become her first protector, but the situation makes him uneasy until he discovers that he's in love with Gigi and wants to marry her. (genre)
Gladiator (2000) R 155m, Russell Crowe AW, Richard Harris, dir: Ridley Scott, AW When a Roman general is betrayed and his family murdered by a corrupt prince, he comes to Rome as a gladiator to seek revenge.
(2) @ Glory (1989) (w/ Dead Poet Society] 202m, Matthew Broderick, Denzil Based on the letters of Colonel Robert G. Shaw. Shaw was an officer in the Federal Army during the American Civil War who volunteered to lead the first company of black soldiers. Shaw was forced to deal with the prejudices of both the enemy (who had orders to kill commanding officers of blacks), and of his own fellow officers. (Idea @ theme – moral statement)
Glory Road (2006) PG DVD (with Greatest Game Ever Played) 40 years ago, Don Haskins went on the recruiting trail to find the best talent in the land, black or white. 7 blacks and 5 whites made up the legendary 1965-66 Texas Western Miners. They were mocked and ridiculed for their showboating and flaunting of black players on the court. Yet, in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, Haskins and his Miners came together as a team united to reach the National Championship game against powerhouse Kentucky
The Gods Must Be Crazy II (1989) Xixo is back again. This time, his children accidentally stow away on a fast-moving poachers' truck, unable to get off, and Xixo sets out to rescue them. Along the way, he encounters a couple of soldiers trying to capture each other and a pilot and passenger of a small plane, who are each having a few problems of their own.
@ Godspell (1973) DVD G A modern-day version of the gospels, opening with John the Baptist calling a disparate group of young New Yorkers from their workaday lives to follow and learn from Jesus. They form a roving acting troupe that enacts the parables through song and dance, comedy, & mime. Jesus' ministry ends with a last supper, his crucifixtion in a junkyard, and, the following morning, his body being carried aloft by his apostles back into the world of the living on the streets of New York. (religion)
@ Godfather (1972) R 175m, Marlon Brando AW, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall dir: Francis Ford Coppola, AW The story begins as "Don" Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia "family", oversees his daughter's wedding. His beloved son Michael has just come home from the war, but does not intend to become part of his father's business. Through Michael's life the nature of the family business becomes clear. The business of the family is just like the head of the family, kind and benevolent to those who give respect, but given to ruthless violence whenever anything stands against the good of the family. Don Vito lives his life in the way of the old country, but times are changing and some don't want to follow the old ways and look out for community and "family". An up and coming rival of the Corleone family wants to start selling drugs in New York, and needs the Don's influence to further his plan. The clash of the Don's fading old world values and the new ways will demand a terrible price, especially from Michael, all for the sake of the family. (classroom film)
Godfather 2 (1974) Robert Dinero AW, AW, AW The continuing saga of the Corleone crime family tells the story of a young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily and in 1910s New York; and follows Michael Corleone in the 1950s as he attempts to expand the family business into Las Vegas, Hollywood and Cuba.
Godfather, part 3 ( 1990) In the final instalment of the Godfather Trilogy, an aging Don Michael Corleone seeks to legitimize his crime family's interests and remove himself from the violent underworld but is kept back by the ambitions of the young. While he attempts to link the Corleone's finances with the Vatican, Michael must deal with the machinations of a hungrier gangster seeking to upset the existing Mafioso order and a young protoge's love affair with his daughter.
Gods and Generals (2003) PG-13 Gods and Generals follows the rise and fall of legendary war hero "Stonewall Jackson". The prequel to the 1993 hit Gettysburg.
* Godzilla, King of Monsters (1956), 79m, Raymond Burr When American reporter Steve Martin (Raymond Burr) investigates a series of mysterious disasters off the coast of Japan, he comes face to face with an ancient creature so powerful and so terrifying, it can reduce Tokyo to a smoldering graveyard. Nuclear weapon testing resurrected this relic from the Jurassic age, and now it's rampaging across Japan. At night, Godzilla wades through Tokyo leaving death and destruction in his wake, disappearing into Tokyo Bay when his rage subsides. Coventional weapons are useless against him; but renowned scientist Dr. Serizawa has discovered a weapon that could destroy all life in the bay -- including Godzilla. But which disaster is worse, Godzilla's fury, or the death of Tokyo Bay? (horror)
(2) * Godzilla, King of the Monsters (TV) (1998) PG-13 Following the French atomic bomb tests in the South Pacific, an unknown creature is spotted passing eastward through the Panama Canal. Scientist Niko Tatopolous is called in to investigate the matter, and he quickly arrives at the conclusion that a giant, irradiated lizard has been created by the explosions. Godzilla then makes its way north, landing at Manhattan to begin wreaking havoc in the big city. Even with the combined forces of the U.S. military to fight the monster, will it be enough to save the people of New York? (horror)
@ Going in Style (1979)97m, George Burns, Art Carney, Lee Strasberg Joe, Al, and Willie are three old men who have resigned themselves to dying. One night, Joe hatches a scheme to put a bit of excitement back into their lives: robbing a bank.... (70’s)
Going Overboard (1989) Adam Sandler Shecky Moskowitz, a deservedly struggling young comedian, lands a menial job on a cruise ship as the Miss-Universe contest is being held on-board. The Big Man On Deck for this voyage is Dickie Diamond, the ship's comedian and all-around ladies' man. As an assorted array of thugs, Panamanian mercenaries and terrorists try to storm the ship, Shecky hopes for one big chance to prove himself and enter the exciting world of cruise ship comedy.
(3) Golden Eye (1995) Pierce Bronson Bond, while on holiday, meets the beautiful but deadly Xenia Onatopp, a member of a Russia mafia group and attempts to stop Xenia and another person taking the 'Tiger' helicopter, a new design and protected against any form of jamming. Meanwhile, Natalya Siminova, a Russian computer programmer is shocked when her team is wiped out by Xenia and Natalya's boss General Ourumov who steals the top secret space weapon Goldeneye, a satellite which triggers a nuclear pulse in the target area which destroys all electronic equipment. Bond is sent to discover who's got control of the weapon and teaming up with Natalya finds that the real villain is someone who knows Bond of old. An old friend of Bond, Alec Trevelyan, plans to destroy London using Goldeneye to gain revenge on Britain and he is even more dangerous as Alec is an ex-00 agent himself...
@ Goldfinger (1964) PG 112m, Sean Connery, Honor Blackman Investigating a gold magnate's gold smuggling, James Bond uncovers a plot to contaminate the Fort Knox gold reserve. The Bank of England has discovered that someone is stockpiling vast quantities of gold and suspects international bullion dealer Auric Goldfinger of being involved. The Bank requests that British agent James Bond be sent to investigate. Bond soon uncovers an audacious plan to commit "the crime of the century" and bring economic chaos to the West. Goldfinger could best be described as the quintessential, definitive Bond film, the first of the series to set the necessities of the entire saga in motion. It is also the best of the Bond movies, arguably the most suave and sophisticated, far superior to the Roger Moore era and those who followed in Connery's footsteps. It is the Bond ultimatum, so to speak. Goldfinger was the first of the iconic legacy to feature Q (Desmond Llewelyn) as a recurring comic relief figure. It was also the first to truly setup the suave nature of 007, the tongue-in-cheek humor (absent in the first movie, Dr. No), the far-fetched gadgetry (including fast cars, this one being an Aston-Martin) and, arguably, the first of the series to feature the famous line, "Bond, James Bond," as a 007 catchphrase, versus a mere line of dialogue. What entices us, and what makes the film so entertaining despite the absurdity, is its leniency towards itself. It doesn't mind being silly because the entertainment value far outweighs any flaws. Plus, it has some of the most memorable scenes in history, and arguably the best Villain Explanation Scene to ever be recorded. "Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?" Bond (Sean Connery) asks as a laser beam slowly makes its way towards his groin. "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!" he says with mock ridicule, before walking away. The following shots is one of the only sequences in James Bond history where the iconic character actually seems fairly worried that fate may be playing a deadly hand. (60’s)
Gone Fishin (1997)Danny Glover, Joe Pesci Joe (Joe Pesci) and Gus (Danny Glover) are established early on as two of life's losers. As children, they are shown in opening sequences blowing up an industry as they toss a cigarette in an open pipe. Years later, as adults they get to go on a fishing vacation that you know has to go wrong. First, they are conned out of their car keys by a con man killer (Nick Brimble), who preys on older women. As they give pursuit, they team up with two young women (Rosanna Arquette, Lynn Whitfield) who are also after the killer who took all of Arquette's mother's jewelry & money. Many disasters later, the two are faced with the killer and all of his loot. Willie Nelson makes a brief appearance as a philospher fisherman that the two amateur fishermen worship.
Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) PG-13 DVD Car theft in Long Beach went down 47% when Randall "Memphis" Raines walked away from the life. He gets dragged back into it by assuming the job his brother Kip screwed up for stolen-car broker Raymond Calitri: steal 50 exotic cars and have them on a container ship by 8 AM Friday morning, and he got this news on a Monday. With Calitri threatening to kill him and Kip, and the police GRAB unit breathing down his neck, Memphis reassembles his old crew and attempts to pull off the logistically impossible.
(2) @ Gone With the Wind (1939) [DVD] Most expensive film produced up to that time, made with 3 color Technicolor, tragedy of unachievability of human happiness in difficult times matched many viewer feelings, 8 academy awards, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh major stars (30’s)
@ The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966) DVD Clint Eastwood Two gunmen have formed a partnership. One is a wanted man (the Ugly) and his partner (the Good) will turn him in for the reward. When the hanging takes place, Good shoots the rope clean through and allows Ugly to escape. When they have a falling out, Good leaves Ugly in the desert. Ugly vows Revenge and tracks Good down and repeats the favor. Just before passing out, a dying man gives Good the secret of a hidden payroll. Both of them end up in a Union Prisoner of War camp run by a sadistic Union officer (The Bad) who discovers their secret and wants the treasure, taking them from the camp to find the cash. (60’s)
* Goodbye Girl (77) Richard Dryfuss AW A divorced woman and her daughter come home to find that her boyfriend has left for an out of town job with no warning. This has happened before. The second surprise comes in the form of another actor who has sublet the apartment from her boyfriend (who did not mention the pair of females who would be in residence). After some negotiation the two decide to share the apartment even though she has vowed to stay away from actors. (70's)
Good Luck (R) (DVD ) 2007 (W/ Forgetting Sarah Marshall) In order to keep the woman of his dreams from falling for another guy, Charlie Logan has to break the curse that has made him wildly popular with single women: Sleep with Charlie once, and the next man you meet will be your true love.
Good Shepherd ® DVD 2006 Robert De Niro, Alec Baldwin, Angelina Jolie, Matt Damon Laconic and self-contained, Edward Wilson heads CIA covert operations during the Bay of Pigs. The agency suspects that Castro was tipped, so Wilson looks for the leak. As he investigates, he recalls, in a series of flashbacks, his father's death, student days at Yale (poetry; Skull and Bones), recruitment into the fledgling OSS, truncated affairs, a shotgun marriage, cutting his teeth on spy craft in London, distance from his son, the emergence of the Cold War, and relationships with agency, British, and Soviet counterparts. We watch his idealism give way to something else: disclosing the nature of that something else is at the heart of the film's narration as he closes in on the leak.
* Good Morning Vietnam (1987) Robin Williams A new Disc Jockey is shipped from Crete to Vietnam to bring humor to Armed Forces Radio. He turns the studio on it's ear and becomes wildly popular with the troops but runs afoul of the middle management who think he isn't G.I. enough. While he is off the air, he tries to meet Vietnamese especially girls, and begins to have brushes with the real war that never appears on the radio. (decade)
Good Fellas (1990) R Robert Dinero, Joe Pesci "As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster."
* Good Will Hunting (1997) Matt Damon, Robin Williams AW Will Hunting, a janitor at MIT, has a gift for mathematics which is discovered, and a psychiatrist tries to help him with his gift and the rest of his life. (90's)
* Gorillas in the Mist (1986) (w/ Goodwill Hunting) Sigourney Weaver stars as Dian Fossey, in this true story about Fossey's study of gorillas, and her efforts to stop the decimation of the endangered apes. (decade)
Gosford Park (2001) Maggie Smith Multiple story-lined drama set in 1932, showing the lives of upstairs guest and downstairs servants at a party in a country house in England.
Gospel Road [1973 ] DVD Johnny A black-clad Johnny Cash appears in and narrates this version of the story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, which was shot on location in Israel. Cash performs a number of original songs in his signature style.
Go Tell the Spartans (1978) R Burt Lancaster A unit of American military advisors in Vietnam prior to the major U.S. involvement find similarities between their helpless struggle against the Viet Cong and the doomed actions of a French unit at the same site a decade before in this bitter look at the beginnings of the Vietnam war.
@ The Graduate (1967) 105m, Aw, Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katherine Ross, dir: Mike Nichols Tired of being the golden boy for his parents friends, college track star Benjamin Braddock embarks upon an affair with the wife of his father's boss. Benjamin leads a frustrated life and often sees adults in a surreal way, so he hopes to relax and sow his wild oats as suggested by his mistresses husband, but is dismayed to find himself just another tool to ease middle-aged insecurity. (actor)
(2) @ Grapes of Wrath (1940) 129m, Henry Fonda Oklahoma in the Thirties is a dustbowl and dispossessed farmers migrate westward to California. After terrible trials en route they become little more than slave labor. Among the throng are the Joads who refuse to knuckle under. (Idea @ theme – Human Nature)
Grand Canyon (1991) R aw1 Glover, Klein, Martin Grand Canyon revolved around six residents from different backgrounds whose lives intertwine in modern-day Los Angeles. At the center of the film is the unlikely friendship of two men from different races and classes brought together when one (Kevin Kline) finds himself in jeopardy in the other's (Danny Glover) rough neighborhood. Features an all-star cast including Steve Martin (Kline' friend), Mary McDonnell (Kline's wife), Mary-Louise Parker (Kline's mistress/assistant) and Alfre Woodard (Parker's friend).
 * Grease (1978) PG John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John set in 50's What, you haven't seen it? Danny is the 'coolest' of the T Birds, a group of High School guys, they hang out with the Pink Ladies. Danny met Sandy during the summer holiday and now she's moved to the area and to his school, Rydell High. Sandy doesn't fit in with the 'cool' scene, and the Pink ladies, "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee, Blessed with my virginity" sings Rizzo, the Pink Ladies leader. A rival gang Scorpians want to race the T Birds car ("Go Greased Lightening ..."). Also there's a National Dance TV show coming to Rydall High ... There are a couple of rival suitors to Sandy and Danny, to liven the relationship up. And 'oh yes' - Graduation.