The Emancipation Proclamation
Free at Last, Free at Last - - - - Well Almost
Some Basic Questions on the freeing of the slaves:
1. Why was Lincoln worried about his handwriting being clear when he signed the Emancipation Proclamation?
2. Why was Lincoln worried when Union army leaders began to free slaves in areas they conquered?
3. After Lincoln wrote the paper to free the slaves and after the Cabinet approved it, why did Lincoln wait for a Northern victory to issue it?
4. What day did Lincoln release the Emancipation Proclamation?
5. What slaves did the Emancipation free?
6. The Emancipation was NOT a law – Why as the military commander did Lincoln issue the order to free the slaves?
7. The Proclamation did not free all the slaves – where had it not freed slaves?
8. Why had the Emancipation dashed any hopes of the South getting aid from foreign nations?
9. ******* Not in the Reading – What would have to happen now for the Emancipation Proclamation to mean anything and to go into effect?