Explanatory notes

Download 16.45 Kb.
Size16.45 Kb.

Application for Skills Assessment for the Purposes of Migration - Aircraft Pilots


All people intending to migrate to Australia through the General Skilled Migration Program must have post secondary qualifications that are relevant for a nominated skilled occupation. These occupations are identified by the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs and appear on the Skilled Occupations List (SKOL). An occupation is included if there is sufficient demand for such skills in Australia. The latest version of the SKOL is on the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) web site at http://www.immi.gov.au.

Applicants whose occupation is on the SKOL must have their skills assessed by the relevant Australian assessing authority prior to applying for migration. The exclusion of an occupation from the list means that a person cannot apply under this migration program.
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) is the assessing body for professional aircraft pilots, ASCO Code 2541-11. If this is your nominated occupation and you wish to migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration Program, you must complete this form and obtain an assessment from CASA.
It should be noted that skills assessments have no bearing on your prospects for employment, nor on the likelihood of you obtaining the Australian licence or achieving residency status. The assessment merely confirms whether the qualifications presented are suitable or unsuitable for the occupation nominated. To convert to the Australian licence, you will be required to pass various examinations to determine your level of skill, knowledge and medical fitness. Whilst medical examinations can be completed outside Australia with approved examiners, the remaining examinations can only be conducted in Australia.
You will therefore need to apply for a temporary visa to enable you to travel to Australia, complete the conversion requirements and obtain the licence before submitting a formal application for migration. A three month visa is usually sufficient and allows for familiarisation and conversion training as well as contingencies such as bad weather, aircraft unserviceability and additional exam attempts should you fail the first time around.
Suitable Qualifications
The term aircraft pilot embraces commercial pilot licences (CPL) and air transport pilot licences (ATPL). To be recognised, the licence must have been issued by the responsible authority of a Contracting State which is an ICAO signatory and award privileges that equate to that of an Australian licence. An overseas pilot licence may be deemed equivalent to an Australian ATPL or CPL if it authorises the holder to fly aircraft as pilot in command in air transport operations or commercial operations respectively.
Pilot licences issued by non-Contracting States cannot be recognised under Australian aviation legislation. Similarly, tertiary qualifications or aviation related experience cannot be accepted in lieu of a CPL or ATPL.
Completing This Form
You must answer all questions on this form in English. Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned to you. You must lodge this application with the documents listed below. If you require any assistance in completing this form you should contact CASA:

  1. tel: 61 2 6217 1665

  2. fax: 61 2 6217 1664

  3. email: fcl.licensing@casa.gov.au

If you need more information about migration options, contact DIMA direct or your nearest Australian mission.

Documents You Must Include
You must provide certified true copies of your pilot licence, medical certificate and flight radiotelephone operator licence (if separate) for the assessment. Original documents must be presented to CASA together with your log book(s) either prior to or at the time of issue of the pilot licence.
If the documents are not in English, a certified translation must also be provided. The translation must be compiled by an registered translator. Ask the Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in the country where the translation is to be made if you are unsure of who to see. If the translation is to be made in Australia, contact the Australian National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Information on the services provided by NAATI is available on their web site at www.naati.com.au.
Documents You May Choose To Include
You may choose to submit evidence that you hold or have successfully completed training for particular aircraft type ratings. For aeroplanes that have a maximum take-off weight equaling or greater than 5700kg or helicopters greater than 2750kg, this evidence should include a copy of the training syllabus and ground engineering certificate.
Like other Government Agencies, CASA must abide by Australian privacy legislation which prohibits the release of any information the Authority has regarding your qualifications or on the specifics of your application unless authorised to do so. For this reason, CASA normally deals direct with the applicants seeking assessment.
If you wish for a family member or a migration agent to act as a go-between, you must nominate that person by name either in the application form or in a letter of authorisation. This will allow CASA to discuss your application with the party you nominate.

It is essential that copies of documents are certified. Within Australia, persons who may certify flight crew documentation include Justices of the Peace, Commissioners of Affidavits or persons holding delegations under the Australian Civil Aviation Regulations. You should approach the authorities within your country that are approved or authorised to notarise documents.
Each copy of the document must be signed separately with the words “certified true copy of the original” and the signature of the certifying officer clearly shown. The office and registration number (if applicable) of the certifying officer should be legibly printed below the signature.
English Language Requirements
As part of the migration process you are awarded points on English language ability. You may need to sit an IELTS test to demonstrate this ability. While CASA does not impose a further occupational English test, during conversion training, you will be assessed on your ability to communicate effectively with air traffic control and other aircraft using standard aeronautical phraseology in both normal and emergency flight conditions.
Payment of Fees
Whilst there is no fee for skills assessments conducted by CASA, various charges are levied for theory examinations, and the issue of licences and other related qualifications. You will also need to factor the cost of conversion training and subsequent flight tests. As a guide, if converting an aeroplane licence, allow a minimum of $2000 (AUD) to cover all conversion costs.
Time-frame for Assessments
Applications for assessments are usually processed within two to three weeks of receipt, although this can vary according to demand and other work priorities.
Directory: sites -> files
files -> 8th Grade Georgia Performance Standards Related to
files -> ActionAid South Africa Draft Discussion Paper – Financing for Development? The Development Bank of South Africa and its Footprint in Africa
files -> University of Oxford Undergraduate Prospectus 2016 entry Section 2: Courses
files -> Arab Feminism
files -> University of Oxford Undergraduate Prospectus 2016 entry Section 1: Introducing Oxford
files -> By Tariqul Islam
files -> Israel-Atlantic Canada Seminar in Early Modern Philosophy Reason, Freedom and the Passion in Descartes and Spinoza May 19-21, 2013 abstracts affects and ideas in Spinoza’s Therapy of Passions
files -> Armed activities on the territory of the congo: the icj judgment in the context of the current peace process in the great lakes region
files -> Conference Report
files -> You’re the MoneySavingExpert, how do I get the shiny new car/glamourous holiday/designer clothes I want on my paltry salary?

Share with your friends:

The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2019
send message

    Main page