aatomic theory, sub-atomic particles,
Use 12 point
Times New Roman
alife cycle of a star
aBig Bang theory / universe origins
aglobal warming issues - what causes it?
Do not quote Mr. Spencer!
aglaciers covered Ohio in the past
aplate tectonics / Pangea / Earth’s
Interior – this topic better be long!
No Evolution! No ghosts, hauntings, occult, etc.!
No vampires or werewolves
Why did they go extinct?
adinosaurs were wiped out by a meteorite impact
aacupuncture, eastern medicine or
energy remedies, chakras, chi
adreams have meaning; DeJaVu?
adowsing rods or unusual technology
aherbal remedies- how do they work?
aStonehenge / great pyramids - how
were they built?
aBermuda Triangle/lost city of Atlantis
aBigfoot, Loch Ness monster,
aMothman, leprechauns, mermaids
Magic tricks? Very hard topic! Pick a specific trick – how does it work?
aextra-sensory perception (ESP),
a2012 Mayan Calendar
Total Points Earned:__________ out of 33. This score will be doubled!
Establishing Scientific Proof
Essay Title ___________________ Believe (Y/N) ____
Items in Essay
0 to 8: __________
This assignment is NOT just a REPORT about your topic! This is a persuasive essay. You should research the theory behind each topic and then attempt to prove or disprove your theory using the scientific proofs we discussed in class!
Watch out for plagiarism! Do not just cut and paste text! You may re-word short sections of an author’s written text (paraphrase) if you quote them. This essay must be in YOUR OWN WORDS!
suggested minimum lengths
Place the web site address beside any quotes or pictures in your essay!
At least 1 page
(1) Facts: Start by describing the history, knowledge, and explanations of the topic / theory with specific details and examples. Get the FACTS here. What is the theory that explains how or why the topic works or is real? Include enough details to allow you to answer the scientific proofs below. Print lots of maps, diagrams, and pictures to prove your opinion. Place them in the text.
0 to 2: __________
(2) Limitations of Science: Describe why science cannot totally prove or disprove your topic’s theory or explanation. Explain how science is limited here (present time and direct observation).
0 to 2: __________
(3) Scientific Proofs: Describe in detail how the topic specifically meets each of the scientific proofs.
Observable because it is observable? Don’t say this! What is observable?
(A) Is it observable? Maybe a slight repetition of the facts above, but also include: Who, what, when, how, where? Is the observation direct or indirect? Was the observation in the present time or past? Who did the observation? Are there biases?
0 to 6: __________
2 paragraphs or more
(B) Is it testable? Can it actually be tested or proven at all? If no, why not? If yes, what kind of experiments have been done? WHAT WERE THE CONTROLS? What can be measured or compared to nature today? Were the experiments valid and conducted by scientists with no biases?
0 to 2: __________
NOT the same as observable. How many tests or how many times has a test been repeated?
(C) Is it repeatable? Can the exact conditions of the experiment or observations be reproduced? How many times?
0 to 4: __________
(4) Fact or Faith Based: Conclude by offering your final opinion. Is the theory / explanation supported more by real science (fact based) or more by pseudoscience (faith based)? Why do you believe or not believe? Be persuasive and honest here.
0 to 3: __________
1 to 6: __________
(5) Bibliography: Place this on a separate bibliography page with a header. Find at least three sources (magazine, internet, encyclopedia, etc. – no WIKIPEDIA!). Include the source title, author, and date. When using internet sites, you must include more than just the web address. Find the date the page was last updated. No date=no source
(6) Following directions / Neatness: Staple this paper with your name face up on top of the essay.
up to 4: __________
Follow all directions given on this paper. Include a title, your name, date, and class. You may use a title page.
Bonus: Typing (+2); extra sources, and pictures stapled behind essay
DON’T DO THIS!!!!!!!
(2) Limitations of Science
(3) Scientific Proofs
Put the bibliography on a separate piece of paper with a header!