|ESSAY FOR AMERICAN CIVILIZATION
November 13, 2006: If you want your essay to be corrected and handed back during the fall semester.
February 26, 2007: Final deadline for heading in your essay
Length: At least 1000 words
Topics: You are free to write about any aspect of the American legal, political or educational system. You may also write an essay comparing Norway to the United States in the topics mentioned above.
Some suggested topics:
- Strengths and weaknesses of the US Constitution
- Strengths and weaknesses of federalism
- Separation of powers and checks and balances in the US and Norway
- The use of judicial review in Norway and the US
- Selection of judges in Norway and the US
- Jury selection in Norway and the US
- The Exclusionary Rule in the US, pros and cons
- The pros and cons of punitive damages
- The right to free speech in Norway and the US
- Why the differing attitudes about the Death Penalty in Norway and the US?
- Constitutional and political aspects of affirmative action in the US
- The right to bear arms in the US
- Secondary schools in Norway and the US
- Legal education in Norway and the US
- Should the right to an abortion be determined by the legislative or judicial branch? Compare how the US and Norway differ in this respect.
- Sources of law in the US