Hope section. He married Jessie, daughter of Charles A. and
Maggie Denny McNeely, and located in our midst.
Ruling Elders 133
The following is a list of the stated clerks of the session, so
far as their names appear :
John Anderson 1773-1794
Joseph A. McLean 1835-1847
Eli Denny 1847-1848
David Wharton 1848-1891
William D. Wharton 1891-1907
J. Al. Rankin 1907-1923
Charles H. Fields 1923-1923
W. Vance TroUinger 1923-1929
William L. Wharton 1929-
There were no deacons nntil 1850. In fact, it was not the
practice of the Presbyterian Church generally to have deacons
until about that date. From the earliest records it appears there
were four trustees who did the collecting of the salary and
attended to the temporal affairs of the church. In 1830 when
pew rent was adopted as a plan for raising the salary the four
trustees resigned, and one trustee, John Hanner, was appointed
to collect the pew rent and to handle the business of the con-
gregation. At the congregational meeting, December 31, 1831,
it appears from the report of the trustee that many of those
who had rented pews had failed to pay, and four collectors
were appointed : Samuel Hatrick for the southwest district,
Samuel Donnell for the northwest district, John Calvin McLean
for the northeast district, and Harper Donnell for the southeast
district. These were to collect the pew rent and pay it over to
the trustee, who was to settle with the pastor. Other collectors
whose names appear from time to time were Samuel M. Kerr,
George Donnell, John G. Efland, Fountain B. McLean, Donnell
Scott, Moses M. Kankin, John C. Cannon and Albert Rankin.
In 1832 John Hanner resigned and Major Robert Donnell
was elected trustee. Major Donnell died in 1847, and Samuel
Hatrick was elected trustee. In 1850 Samuel Hatrick resigned,
and Robert C. Donnell was elected trustee. In 1855 Robert C.
Donnell resigned, and Samuel Denny was elected trustee. In
1862 he resigned, and Samuel D. McLean was elected trustee.
He served until the office was abolished in 1881, and the deacons
were requested to elect their own chairman and treasurer.
In 1850 four deacons were ordained as collectors : Thomas
B. Donnell, John Carson Ranlvin, Col. William Denny and Rob-
of Orange County, and was dismissed to the First Church,
Greensboro, in 1891.
136 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
John L. Henclris was the son of Edward Hendrix, of Pleas-
ant Garden. He married Mattie, daughter of Marcellus Jordan,
and of their sons, W. Julian and James M. became deacons.
On May 3, 1891, James M. Hendrix, Gr. Washington Denny,
J. Alexander Rankin, John W, Wharton and Albert C. Rankin
James M, Hendrix was elected an elder in 1897.
George Washington Denny was elected an elder in 1897.
J. Al. Rankin was elected an elder in 1902.
John W. Wharton was elected an elder in 1902.
Albert C. Rankin (1860-1929) was the son of Albert and
Polly IMcMurray Rankin, grandson of Thomas and Patsy Mc-
Quiston Rankin, of Alamance Church, great-grandson of Wil-
liam and Jane Chambers Rankin, of Buffalo, and great-great-
grandson of John Chambers. He was dismissed to Pleasant
Garden church in 1915.
On July 31, 1898, three more deacons were ordained : James
William Alexander, James A. May, and Charles H. Fields.
James William Alexander was the son of Rev. James C.
Alexander. He married Fannie Plowden, of Greenwood, S. C.
He died in 1931.
James A. May was raised in the county and joined Buffalo in
1891, His wife was Annie D. Johnston. In 1924 he and family
were dismissed to the Presbyterian Church at Burkeville, Va.
Charles H. Fields was elected an elder in 1909.
On December 3, 1905, John S. McKnight, William L. Whar-
ton and Luther E. Sikes were ordained.
John S. McKnight is the son of John E. and Mary Rankin
McKnight, grandson of William and Elizabeth Albright Mc-
Knight, great-grandson of William and Mary Cummins Mc-
Knight, and great-great-grandson of John McKnight, Sr. He
was dismissed to the Presbyterian Church at Shelby, N. C, in
William L. Wharton was elected an elder in 1921.
Luther E. Sikes was elected an elder in 1926.
On May 23, 1914, Dr. William P. Knight and Thomas A.
McKnight were ordained.
Dr. William P. Knight is the son of Pinkney Knight, of
Rockingham County. He married Nellie, daughter of W. Julian
and Mollie Cannon Hendrix, and is now serving as a deacon.
Thomas A. McKnight was elected an elder in 1926.
On June 3, 1917, H. A. Barnes and W. Julian Hendrix were
H. A. Barnes is the son of James A. and Ida Lane Barnes.
He joined Buffalo in 1915. He married Buphemia Dail. He
is now serving as deacon.
W. Julian Hendrix was the son of John L. and Mattie Jor-
dan Hendrix. He married Mollie, daughter of John C. and
Mary E. Wharton Cannon. Until his death in 1931 he served
as a deacon.
On May 4, 1919, J. Iva Medearis, W. Vance TroUinger,
Leighton W. McFarland and R. H. Armfield were ordained.
J. Iva Medearis came to us from the Methodist Episcopal
Church at Summerfield. He is the son of Francis M. and Emma
Hoskins Medearis, and the grandson of John and Nancy Jones
Medearis, and on his mother's side of John A. and Lydia John-
son Hoskins. He married Hattie E., daughter of William D.
and Jennie Gilmer Wharton, and is still serving as a deacon.
W. Vance Trollinger was elected as elder in 1921.
Leighton W. McFarland came to us from the Church of the
Covenant, Fayetteville Presbytery, in 1916. He is the son of
John A. and Catherine McArthur McFarland, and married
Myrtle Clemmons. He is now serving as a deacon.
R. H. Armfield joined with us in 1916, and later joined the
Baptist Church at White Oak.
On December 19, 1926, Lonnie G. Albright, Joseph S. Phipps,
J. Herman Kellam, Carl L. Wharton, Charles A. Schoolfield and
Luther J. Blackwood were ordained to the diaconate.
Lonnie G. Albright is a son of ruling elder Daniel E. Al-
bright, grandson of Jacob Albright, and a great-grandson of
Daniel Albright. He married Eula Ballinger in 1920.
138 History of Buffalo Presbyterian Church and Her People
Joseph S. Pliipps is a son of Robert S. and Mary Anna Gil-
mer Phipps, of Alamance Clinrch. On his mother's side he is
a great-great-grandson of William Gilmer, Sr., and a great-
great-great-grandson of John McLean, Sr.
J. Ilermon Kellam was the son of Julius. His father died
when he was a child. He married Maggie, daughter of William
and Fannie Norman Souther. Mr. Kellam died in 1933.
Carl L. Wharton is the son of ruling elder John W. Wharton,
and a great-great-grandson of Elisha Wharton, a ruling elder
in Bethel Church; and on his grandmother Wharton's side he is
a great-great-grandson of William Scott, and a great-great-great-
grandson of James Denny, Sr., and of Thomas Donnell, Sr.
On his mother's side he is a great-great-great-great-grandson of
Charles A. Schoolfield is the son of Robert L. and Lilly
Starr Schoolfield, a great-grandson of John and Agnes Rankin
Schoolfield, and a great-great-great-grandson of John Chambers.
Luther J, Blackwood came to us from Orange County and
is the son of Sydney Blackwood. He lives south of Greensboro.
From the earliest records the money for pastor's salary was
handled by a trustee elected by the congregation, and later by
a treasurer elected by the board of deacons. The following is a
list of those who have served in this capacity :
John Hanner 1830-1832
Major Robert Donnell 1832-1847
Samuel Hatrick 1847-1850
Robert C. Donnell 1850-1855
Samuel Denny 1855-1862
Samuel D. McLean 1862-1881
William D. Wharton 1881-1891
James M. Hendrix 1891-1897
J. Al. Rankin 1897-1914
William L. Wharton (church treasurer) . . . .1914-1925
Dr. W. P. Knight (benevolent treasurer) . . .1914-1925
Dr. W. P. Knight (church treasurer) 1925-
J. Iva Medearis (benevolent treasurer) ....1925-
The first time the Sabbath school is mentioned in any of the
minutes is in 1870, but it must have been organized shortly after
Dr. Caruthers became pastor. Dr. Wiley says the Sabbath school
was established in vigorous form at Alamance about 1825, and
Dr. Caruthers must have had one organized at Buffalo at the
same time. He was a great believer in Sabbath schools, and by
1829 he had succeeded in organizing all the schools of the county
into a Sunday School Union, of which he was the leading spirit
and the active secretary. Mrs. Elizabeth Weatherly, daughter
of Col. William Denny, told the writer that as a child she
attended the Sunday school at Buffalo, and she was born in
1822. We may safely say the school was organized as early as
At Alamance the Sunday school held all day sessions on the
Sabbaths they did not have preaching. The children carried
lunch with them, and part of the time was spent in studying
spelling, reading and other branches, and much time was spent
in singing. This may have been the case at Buffalo also.