3. Who influenced Darwin to come up with the idea of Natural Selection (also sometimes called “Survival of the Fittest”)?
4. The Comte de Buffon was not a scientist. What area was he most known for and what did he help discover?
5. Alfred Russel Wallace went on a voyage similar to Darwin’s on the HMS Beagle. Where did he go on his first voyage and why did he have to go on a second voyage (and this time where did he go)?
6. What relation was Erasmus Darwin to Charles Darwin and why was Erasmus such a controversial person (in regards to his personal life)?
Link #4: Darwin’s Finches http://evolution.about.com/od/Darwin/a/Charles-Darwins-Finches.htm
1. How long did it take the HMS Beagle to reach South America and how long did they stay there?
2. Besides the finches, what two things did Darwin study while on the Galapagos Islands?
3. What year did Darwin return to England and who did he enlist to help him figure out the situation with the finches’ beaks? (Name the man and his occupation) Describe the man’s reaction and what he said about Darwin’s information.
4. Relate why the finches had different beaks to evolution of the species. How did this new information compare to Jean Baptiste Lamarck’s ideas?
5. What is the name of the book Darwin published about his trip to South America?