|US1/Mr. Biniukow Name _____________________________________
2. Slavery in Colonial America GUIDED NOTES
Directions: Before you read, answer the TRUE-FALSE questions 1-4. The questions and your answers will be discussed. No points will be added or taken away for these questions. Then read the PBS “From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery” paper or online article to answer questions 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15. Skip the other questions. Be thorough with your answers. 12pts
1. __________ Throughout the 1600s, colonial laws existed that prevented Africans from owning land.
2. __________ Throughout the 1600s, colonial laws existed that prevented former African slaves from owning their own slaves.
3. __________ Throughout most of the 1600s, most blacks were treated fairly equally to white indentured servants.
4. __________ Throughout the 1600s, whites viewed themselves as racially superior to blacks.
Slavery in Colonial America Overview
5. Slave Trade Starts in North America in the 1500s
a. 1st Slaves used were…
b. Slavery starts in…
c. A certain product will make slavery a popular system…
6. Slavery in the Caribbean
b. How do the planters do?
d. Why will the Caribbean be important for planters in the American colonies?
“From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery”
7. What was the status of “slaves” in early colonial years in Virginia? What position did most lower-class blacks and whites have in Virginia? What kind of life was that?
8. What guidelines did the English use in the early 1600s to determine what people should be enslaved?
9. Who was Anthony Johnson? What was surprising about his life? Why was his life at the crossroads of slavery in America?
10. Reasons why Slavery popularizes in the late 1600s. Put yourself in the viewpoint of the rich planter for the answers. (pg. 3 has two of the answers. Write the answers in “b” & “c”. Leave “a” blank)
11. How the slave trade grows after 1620
Slave Trade Steps
12. How did slavery begin to change in the American colonies? Two steps took place. One was in the American colonies…the other in England. (pg. 3 & 4 have the answers)
13. Slaves in the Three American Regions
North and Middle Colonies…
High South Colonies…
Deep South Colonies…
14. Step Three in the slavery storyline
1st 2nd 3rd .
Directions: Question 15 requires some thinking and some opinions to be formulated. Answer the question in a paragraph.
15. Looking at your TRUE-FALSE answers, how well did you do? What are your thoughts on the information you discovered in the reading? Did anything surprise you?