Contact Information



Download 16.02 Kb.
Date conversion15.05.2016
Size16.02 Kb.
English 11 Overview for 2011-2012

Mrs. Sally McKemie, Instructor


Contact Information
Voice mail: 480.812.7784

Email: mckemie.sally@chandler.k12.az.us

Homepage: http://chandlerschools.schoolwires.net/chs/site/default.asp (Click on “Faculty” at the top.)

Course Description

English 11 is a literature and composition class.

Reading selections are the poetry and prose of American authors, including (but not limited to) the following:


  • Native American stories and myths

  • Arthur Miller’s The Crucible

  • Patrick Henry’s Speech in the Virginia Convention

  • Ralph Waldo Emerson’s Self-Reliance

  • Emily Dickinson’s poetry

  • F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby

  • Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun

  • Barbara Kingsolver’s The Bean Trees

Students will write several essays throughout the year, including a persuasive research paper during the second quarter.

Class Expectations

  1. Students will be prepared for class to begin.

  • Turn off cell phones and other electronic devices and put them away out of sight.

  • Have homework ready to turn in.

  • Locate pencils, blue or black ballpoint pens, notebook paper, and folder or binder.

  • Be seated when the bell rings.

  1. Students will respect others in the classroom and their property.

  2. Students will follow the policies and procedures of Chandler High School.

  3. Students will demonstrate responsibility by doing the following:

  • Turning in assignments on time (late work = ½ credit)

  • Verifying grades regularly on STI

  • Checking Schoolwires for English 11 information and homework page updates

Attendance

  1. Sweeps

  • If students are not in class when the bell rings, they are swept.

  • If a student is late to class because a teacher, coach, principal, or security officer detained him or her, that student must get a pass into class from that authority. If the student has no pass, he or she is swept.

  1. Final Exam Incentive

  • In order for a student to qualify for the final exam incentive, he/she must have no more than four absences and tardies (one sweep = one absence) and a grade average in the class of 75% or better.

  • Students who meet the requirements for the final exam incentive must be present for the final exam even if they do not take it.

Grading

Each assignment is worth points based upon the type of assignment it is. For example, a test is usually 100 points and a classwork or homework assignment is usually 10-20 points.



The grade for the semester is based upon the total points earned divided by the total points possible. This comprises 80% of the overall semester grade; the final exam is the remaining 20%.

Have a stupendous year!



The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page