Leaders of the Convention • _____________________________ was asked to preside (lead) over the convention.
• _____________________________ kept notes of the discussions and is often called “The Father of the Constitution.”
• The men who wrote the Constitution are called the "__________________________."
• All the participants in the Convention were ___________________, white, males.
Issues that divided the Nation’s leaders • The ____________________ of the federal government. Would the states or the federal government have the most power?
• _______________________ in Congress (How many members on Congress would each state get? – small states wanted equal representation, large states wanted it to be determined by population of the states
• _________________ – How would slaves be counted? Would the slave trade continue?
New Jersey Plan • Legislature - has ______________ house.
• Each state gets _______________ vote.
• Small states like the plan, the ______________ states hate it.
• There would have to be a ___________________.
The Great Compromise • Legislature would have two houses (parts): ______________________________ and a ______________________
• House - based on the ________________________ of state
• Senate - ________________ senators per each state
• The Southern states refused to __________________________ the Constitution unless slavery continued.
• It was a terrible compromise to make, but the Northern states had no choice if they wanted a Constitution.
• ___________________________ - Made each slave worth 3/5 of a vote in deciding numbers in House of Representatives
• Congress could not ban the slave trade until _____________.