State appealed & special master working on a settlement
Pasadena’s First Orphanage
Founded in 1902
The Sycamores’ History
At the beginning of the 20th century, a visionary named Fannie Rowland met with 30 of her friends to address a troubling social ill – homeless children – and together in 1902 these women took action to found Pasadena’s first orphanage, The Pasadena Children’s Training Society.
A two-story yellow Craftsman bungalow at the corner of Wilson Avenue and Del Mar Boulevard served as a welcoming place for babies and children who needed a home. For six decades The Pasadena Children’s Training Society remained at the same location. In the mid-1960s a larger, more residential setting was required to care for the increasing number of displaced children and adolescents in the community. An ideal site was found in Altadena and in 1967 The Society relocated and became The Sycamores.
Today this site, with mountains nestled in the background, provides residential treatment, special educational, and mental health services.
History of Program Development
1902 Founded as the first Orphanage in Pasadena – boys & girls
1960s Evolved into Residential Treatment Facility
Relocated to Larger Campus in Altadena – began serving only boys
1976-87 Expanded From 30 to 60 Boys
1985 Developed Nonpublic School
1987 Began DMH Day Treatment Program
1990 Became an RCL 14
Began providing Aftercare
Board Initiated a Strategic Planning Process ($5.8M operating budget – 150 staff)
In 1919, the Kiddie Koop orphanage was founded in the rapidly growing metropolitan area of Los Angeles to meet the needs of children whose mothers were deceased, or incapacitated either physically or financially.
This home, originally located on East 28th Street, moved in 1924 to more spacious quarters on South Catalina Street in Los Angeles and again in 1928 to an almost two-acre site in Highland Park. “Paradise Ranch” became home to these children in 1963 when the Trust of legendary filmmaker, Cecil B. DeMille, bequeathed his 300-acre estate, located in Sylmar, to what had become Hathaway Children and Family Services.
The ranch – renamed the “Children’s Village” – offered a scenic setting in the Angeles National Forest for children to receive residential treatment, mental health services, and special education in a nurturing environment.
Hathaway Profile in 2004
$ 24,770,791 operating budget
Residential and Day Treatment
Family Resource Center
Special Education Services
Foster Family Agency
Therapeutic Behavioral Services
Programs Offered Today
Activity Since Merger
2005 Merger Effective 11/1/05
2005 Submitted Mental Health Service Act (Prop 63) RFSQ response - December
2005 Submitted Wraparound RFSQ response - December
2006 Began strategic planning process
Notification of Wraparound Expansion – SPA’s 1-2- 3-4-5-7-8 with Vista Del Mar – Connections
2006 Entire organization accredited by JCAHO in March
2006 Created an office in Lancaster
2006 Created an office in Commerce
2006 Board approved merger with Center for Grief & Loss for Children
2007 Exploring NPS on grounds of public school
2007 Established School-based services in Lancaster Public School
Began First Response Program in South Los Angeles
Received Funding to do Crisis Counseling in 9 Schools