Chapter Four Study Guide 1. What was notable about the population of the Chesapeake colonies throughout the first half of the seventeenth century?
2. Why were families both few and fragile in the Chesapeake colonies?
3. Why were indentured servitude used to solve the labor problem in many English colonies during the seventeenth century?
4. Describe the "headright" system.
5. What was the most populous colony in English America by 1700?
6. How did seventeenth-century colonial tobacco growers usually respond to depressed prices for their crop?
7. Who reaped the greatest benefit from the land policies of the "headright" system?
8. What was an indentured servant?
9. Throughout the greater part of the seventeenth century, who provided the Chesapeake colonies with most of the labor they needed?
10. How did most immigrants to the Chesapeake colonies in the seventeenth century come?
11. Describe the circumstances of most indentured servants.
12. Describe the condition of indentured servants who gained their freedom by the end of the seventeenth century.
13. Describe Bacon's Rebellion.
14. What were the results of Bacon's Rebellion?
15. Where did the majority of African slaves coming to the New World end up?
16. Why did reliance on slave labor in colonial America rapidly increase after 1680?
17. What did Slave Christianity emphasize?
18. What are some products of the American slave culture?
19. What are some African-American contributions to American culture?
20. Where were the physical and social conditions of slavery harshest?
21. What molded the American slave culture?
22. How did African-American slaves compare with indentured servants?
23. What was the effect on the South as slavery spread?
24. Who made up most of the inhabitants of the colonial American South?
25. Describe the life of typical colonial New England adults.
26. Describe urban development in the colonial South.
27. Describe the New England family.
28. Why are New England's colonists credited with "inventing" grandparents?
29. Why did southern colonies generally allow married women to retain separate title to their property?
30. Why did Puritans refuse to recognize a woman's separate property rights?
31. Describe the expansion of New England society.
32. What did the Puritan system of congregational church government logically lead to?
33. According to Thomas Jefferson, what was "the best school of political liberty the world ever saw"?
34. What caused the Salem witchcraft trials?
35. During the Salem witchcraft trials, who made up most of those accused as witches?
36. Describe the Salem "witch hunt" in 1692.
37. What effect did poor soil have on conditions in New England?
38. What did the New England economy depend heavily on?
39. Contrast the New England colonies’ economy with the Chesapeake colonies.
40. How did the English justify taking land from the native inhabitants?
41. Describe the impact of New England on the rest of the nation.
42. Compare how Americans lived with how most seventeenth-century Europeans lived.
43. The late-seventeenth-century rebellion in New York was headed by __________, whereas that in Maryland was led by __________.