Chapter 23 Study Guide Eastham
1. What did General Ulysses S. Grant accept after the Civil War?
2. Who won the presidential election of 1868, and why?
3. What effect did the Civil War have on the Republic?
4. In the late nineteenth century, what was meant by those political candidates who campaigned by "waving the bloody shirt"?
5. Identify: Jim Fisk, "Black Friday", Jay Gould
6. Describe how "Boss" Tweed, the leader of New York City's infamous Tweed Ring, was jailed.
7. Describe the Credit Mobilier scandal.
9. Why was President Ulysses S. Grant reelected in 1872?
10. Define: Roscoe Conkling, James Blaine, Horace Greeley, "Half-Breeds", Stalwarts, Liberal Republicans
11. What caused the panic that broke in 1873?
12. What did debtors suggest as a solution to the panic or depression of 1873?
13. What was the result of Republican "hard money" policies?
14. Those who enjoyed a successful political career in the post Civil War decades were usually?
15. Describe the economic policies of the Democrats and the Republicans during the Gilded Age.
17. What was the reason for the extremely high voter turnouts and partisan fervor of the Gilded Age?
18. What was the lifeblood of both the Democratic and the Republican parties during the Gilded Age?
19. Who were the "Spoilsmen"?
20. What was the major problem in the 1876 presidential election?
21. What was the Compromise of 1877?
22. Who were the "forgettable presidents" of the Gilded Age?
23. Describe the 1896 case of Plessy v. Ferguson. 24. At the end of Reconstruction, how did Southern whites disenfranchise African-Americans?
25. What were Jim Crow laws?
26. Describe how the presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes opened.
27. What started the railroad strike of 1877?
28. What caused the labor unrest during the Hayes administration?
29. Labor unrest in the 1870s and 1880s resulted in what?
30. How did the U.S. Congress react to the wake of anti-Chinese violence in California?
31. What internal developments in China resulted in Chinese immigration to the United States?
32. What was one of the main reasons that the Chinese came to the United States?
33. The Chinese word tong means
35. Why was President James A. Garfield assassinated?
36. What was the Pendleton Act?
37. The passage of the Pendleton Act had what effect on politicians?
38. The 1884 election contest between James G. Blaine and Grover Cleveland was noted for what?
40. When he was president, Grover Cleveland's hands-off approach to government gained the support of?
41. What was President Grover Cleveland's position on the issue of the tariff?
42. What was the major campaign issue of the 1888 presidential election?
43. In the latter decades of the nineteenth century, it was generally true that the locus of political power was in what branch of government?
44. What did the Liberal Republican movement favor?
46. In the late nineteenth century, what cultural values was the Republican party associated with?
47. In late-nineteenth-century elections, Democrats could count on the support of?
48. What did most of the presidents of the 1870s and 1880s have in common?