|Brave New World
Finish the book by _______________________
Complete the work on this sheet by then also. Use your own paper, please.
Explain each of the following terms
q M---------- (what’s the significance of the dashes)
q Bokanovsky’s process
Answer/discuss the following questions/ideas.
1. Look up dystopia or negative utopia and explain why Brave New World is considered a novel in that genre.
2. Read and comment on the paragraph on page 147 that begins “I know. But that’s all the more reason for severity.”
3. Read and comment on the paragraph on page 220 that begins “Because our world is not the same as Othello’s world.”
4. John Savage and Mustapha Mond discuss civilization in chapter17. John says two startling things: “What you need is something with tears for a change. Nothing costs enough here” and “But I don’t w ant comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.” Take the side of Mond and Savage and clarify the points of view of each.
5. What is the significance of choosing Henry Ford as “God?”
6. The name John Savage could be considered ironic. Explain how.
7. Though Huxley’s brave new world seems less human in the way we are accustomed to living, explain the positive aspects of his society. What aspects would you particularly like and why?
8. Which character in the novel would you be and why?
9. What is most illogical or improbably about Huxley’s civilization?
10. Knowing what you know about the HIV virus and the communicability of AIDS, discuss the impact it would have in Huxley’s society. Factor in exponential progression, time and psychological implications.