Dr. Korfhage Your paper for this unit will be due on Wednesday, October 4th, by 3 pm. The paper should be at least 600 words. Include all necessary citations, as well as a Works Cited page. Write an essay which responds to one of the following topics:
1. Compare the worldview of Black Elk Speaks with your own worldview. The point is not just to do a descriptive comparison. The point is to use the comparison to come to some insight about Native American religion, about modern society—even about yourself.
2. We have seen that Native American traditions are primarily oral ones, which rely heavily on stories and storytelling. Relate Black Elk Speaks to this tradition of orality and storytelling. What role do stories play in Black Elk Speaks? Where does the story that we find in Black Elk Speaks fit into the Native American tradition?
3. Native American scholar Vine Deloria, Jr., says in his foreword to Black Elk Speaks that that book is at “the central core of a North American Indian theological canon.” Would you agree that Black Elk Speaks present a “theology” of the Native American (or at least Lakota) tradition? Is it a “theological” work, and if so, in what sense?
4. Black Elk Speaks is, in part, a spiritual autobiography. How does Black Elk develop over the course of the book? What sense do you get of Black Elk’s interior life, his psychology? Does it change, or evolve over time? Does he come to additional spiritual insight, and if so, how and why?
5. Develop your own topic. You must get it approved by me in advance—no later than Friday, September 22nd.