In 1814, Charles Dickens' family moved to London and then to ____________________, where he received his formal education.
Charles Dickens' father was sent to a place called Marshalsea, which was a
In order to support his family, a young Charles Dickens went to work as a _______________________________.
This difficult period in his life is documented in his novel ________________________________________.
From 1827-1828, Dickens found two jobs working as a _____________________________ and as a ____________________________________________.
The Victorian Period in England last from the years ___________________________.
Society valued three things at this time: ____________________________________
During this time, three inventions such as ___________________________________________________ found their way into the lives of the people.
While America abolished slavery, the Victorians were also concerned with equality with regard to ______________________ and ____________________________.
What in the world is a tussie mussie? ________________________________________
WHAT THE DICKENS IS DICKENSIAN STYLE?
Dickens's works are characterized by attacks on ______________________, _______________________, and ________________________.
Why was Dickens nicknamed "The Inimitable"? ____________________________________________________________________________
How is he a rival of Shakespeare? ____________________________________________________________________________
"WHY ARE THE FRENCH REVOLTING?"
1. What event marked the beginning of the French Revolution?
2. In what year did the Revolution begin? How long did it last?
3. What were the four stages of the revolution? What are the
five key factors for each?
4. Who were the primary political figures of France at the time?
5. Who were the leading players in the rebellion against the
6. What was the motto of the French Revolution?
7. Who invented the guillotine? How many people lost their
lives during the French Revolution by the guillotine?
7. Define each of the following terms: The Three Estates, Bourgeouisie, Clergy,
Aristocracy, Reign of Terror
8. Did Marie Antoinette really say "Let them eat cake!"?
9. What is significant about the date July 14, 1789?
A TALE OF TWO CITIES
Why did Dickens write about the French Revolution?
What famous author did Dickens base his background knowledge of the French Revolution?
Who are the five (5) primary characters in the novel?
What are three (3) primary themes in the novel?
What were three other titles considered by Dickens before he settled on the one we read?