|SS 11 Possible Essay Questions
1. “As the 21st century begins, population growth rates have been stabilized around the world.”
Evaluate this statement.
2. Explain the effects of overpopulation in developing countries.
3. To what extent has Canada attempted to solve poverty problems in developing nations?
4. “Global warming is the most important environmental issue facing the world today.”
Evaluate this statement and describe Canada’s response to this issue.
Politics and Government
1. Explain how a bill becomes a law in the Canadian parliamentary system.
2. Evaluate how the Charter of Rights and Freedoms has had an impact on Canadian society.
3. To what extent can the average Canadian citizen influence the political process?
4. “The concept of human rights has taken on great importance in Canada during the 20th century”
Evaluate this statement using examples from throughout the 20th century.
5. Describe the Canadian election system from beginning to end.
Autonomy and International Involvement
1. “Between 1914 and 1931, Canada moved from colonial status to independent nationhood.”
Evaluate the accuracy of this statement.
2. To what extent did World War 1 change Canada?
3. “Between 1929 and 1939 Canadians were plunged into the worst economic depression in the 20th century; many people suffered extreme hardship.”
a. Explain why the Depression occurred and how Canadians coped with the problems caused by it.
b. To what extent was the Canadian government successful in its attempts to deal with the Depression?
4. Compare Canada’s role in World War One with World War Two.
5. “During the 20th century, even though Canada was under the powerful influence of Britain and the USA, the country became and remains an independent state.”
Evaluate the accuracy of this statement using examples from throughout the 20th century.
6. To what extent did Canada evolve from being an insignificant nation to a middle power during the years 1939 to 1970?
7. Explain how Canada’s identity has been shaped as a result of its involvement in international affairs from 1914 to 2000.
Society and Identity
1. To what extent did Canada become a more tolerant society during the 20th century?
2. Explain how Canadian society changed in the interwar period, from 1919 to 1939.
3. Explain how intolerance has been an issue in Canada since 1914.
4. Describe the evolution and evaluate the success of Canada’s social safety net from the 1920’s to the present.
5. Explain how Canada’s immigration policy has evolved during the 20th century.
6. Explain how the relationship between French and English Canadians has evolved during the twentieth century.