Aristotle’s Poetics Quiz Name ____________________________
AP Literature and Composition 1. According to the classical definition, a tragedy must evoke
________________________ and ____________________________ in its audience.
2. __________________________ is the purgation of these emotions.
3. __________________________ is the “soul of tragedy.” It is also the action in a piece of literature.
4. __________________________ _____________________________ is when the
audience knows what is going to happen, but the characters do not.
5. Think of an example of a comedy. How does this example fit/not fit Aristotle’s definition of a comedy?
6. Think of an example of a tragedy. How does this example fit/not fit Aristotle’s definition of a tragedy?