All upgrades and data for these fact sheets were upgraded Jan 96 by ynl Bruce E



Download 160.65 Kb.
Date conversion20.04.2016
Size160.65 Kb.

THIRTEENTH COAST GUARD DISTRICT

LIGHTHOUSES

There are fact sheets on each of the following lighthouses. Any lighthouse that is open to the public is listed on the information page with the directions on how to get there and hours of operation.

ALL MAPS AND CHARTS WERE PROVIDED BY TED W. AND SHARLENE NELSON GATHERED FROM THEIR BOOKS “UMBRELLA GUIDE TO WASHINGTON & OREGON.

All upgrades and data for these fact sheets were upgraded Jan 96 by YNl Bruce E.

Borthwick. For any other information on the lighthouses in this district contact the Public

Affairs Office at:


Commander(dpa)

13th Coast Guard District

915 Second Avenue, Suite 3352 Seattle, WA.

98174-1067 Phone: 206-220-7237

ALKI POINT LIGHT MUKILTEO LIGHT

BORROWS ISLAND LIGHT NEW DUNGENESS LIGHT

BROWNS POINT LIGHT NORTH HEAD LIGHT

CAPE ARAGO LIGHT PATOS ISLAND LIGHT

CAPE BLANCO LIGHT POINT NO POINT LIGHT

CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT LIGHT POINT ROBINSON LIGHT

CAPE FLATTERY LIGHT POINT WILSON LIGHT

CAPE MEARES LIGHT SLIP POINT LIGHT

DESTRUCTION ISLAND LIGHT SMITH ISLAND LIGHT

DOFFLEMYER POINT TILLAMOOK LIGHT

GRAYS HARBOR LIGHT TURN POINT LIGHT

HECETA HEAD UMPQUA RIVER LIGHT

LIME KILN LIGHT WEST POINT LIGHT

MORROWSTONE LIGHT YAQUINA HEAD LIGHT

LIST OF ACTIVE LIGHTHOUSES IN THE 13TH COAST GUARD DISTRICT LIGHTHOUSES CONSTRUCTED/AUTOMATED LOCATION

ALKI POINT 1887/1984 WEST SEATTLE, WA.

BURROWS ISLAND 1906/1972 BURROWS ISLAND, WA.

CAPE ARAGO 1886/1966 near COOS BAY, OR.

CAPE BLANCO 1870/1980 SIXES, OR.

CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT 1853/1973 ILWACO, WA.

CAPE FLATTERY 1857/1976 TATOOSH ISLAND, WA.

CAPE MEARES 1890/1963 near TILLAMOOK, OR.

DESTRUCTION ISLAND 1891/1968 DESTRUCTION ISLAND, WA.

GRAYS HARBOR 1897/1970’s WESTPORT, WA.

HECETA HEAD 1894/1960’s HECETA HEAD, OR.

LIME KILN 1914/1962 SAN JUAN ISLAND, WA.

MARROWSTONE POINT 1888/1962 MARROWSTONE ISLAND, WA.

MUKILTEO 1905/1979 MUKILTEO, WA.

NORTH HEAD 1896/1961 ILWACO, WA.

NEW DUNGENESS 1857/1976 near SEQUIM, WA.

PATOS ISLAND 1893/1974 PATOS ISLAND, WA.

POINT NO POINT 1879/1977 HANSVILLE, WA.

POINT ROBINSON 1885/1978 near BURTON, WA.

POINT WILSON 1879/1976 PORT TOWNSEND, WA.

SLIP ISLAND 1905/1951 CLALLUM BAY, WA.

SMITH ISLAND 1858/1976 SMITH ISLAND, WA.

TURN POINT 1893/1974 STUART ISLAND, WA.

UMPQUA RIVER 1857/1960’s WINCHESTER BAY, OR.

WEST POINT 1881/1954 near SEATTLE, WA.

YAQUINA HEAD 1872/1966 YAQUINA BAY, OR.


The following are some of the addresses and phone #’5 to some of the lighthouses and/or park centers.
ADMIRALTY HEAD LIGHT FORT CASEY STATE PARK
ALKI POINT LIGHT (206)932-5800 USCG LIGHTSTATION

ALKI POINT

3201 AIkI Ave. S.W.

SEATTLE, WA. 98116

CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT LIGHT FORT CANBY STATE PARK

CAPE MEARES LIGHT TILLAMOOK, OREGON

LIME KILN LIGHT SAN JUAN ISLAND, WA.

MARROWSTONE TONE POINT LIGHT FORT FLAGLER STATE PARK


MUKILTEO LIGHT (206)355-9656 USCG LTSTA

Contact: MUKILTEO

Mim Laurie P.O. BOX 185

MUKILTEO, WA. 98275-0185


NEW DUNGENESS LIGHT (360)683-5544 USCG LIGHT STATION

NEW DUNGENESS

467 Marine Dr.

SEQUIM, WA. 98382


NORTH HEAD LIGHT (360)642-3029 FORT CANBY STATE PARK
POINT NO POINT LIGHT (360)638-2261 USCG LIGHT STATION

POINT NO POINT

HANSVILLE, WA.98340-9998
POINT ROBINSON LIGHT (360)463-2951 USCG LIGHT STATION

POINT ROBINSON

P.O. BOX 1848

VASHON, WA. 98070


WEST POINT LIGHT (206)282-9130 USCG LTSTA

WEST POINT

1500 Utah St.

SEATTLE, WA. 98199-1063


ADMIRALTY HEAD LIGHT: Fort Casey, Whidbey Island, WA

Open to the Public: Information below

Established 1861

Did you Know: Admiralty Head Light was in service for a short period. The light sported a fourth order Fresnel lens until 1927, when its iron top was removed and installed atop New DUNGENESS Light. Admiralty Head Light became obsolete seven years before, since mariners began to rely on Point Wilson Light on the opposite shore.

During World War II, the lighthouse was painted olive green and converted into living quar­ters for high ranking Army officers.

The present structure is the result of restoration efforts on the part of the Washington State Parks Commission, and is now a museum.

The lighthouse is open only during the summer beginning in mid-May and ending Labor Day weekend. It can be reached by driving to Fort Casey State Park on Whidbey Island, Washington.
ALKI POINT LIGHT: Open/Closed to Public:

Seattle,WA, ELLIOTT Bay.

Tour Information (206)217-6123

Candlepower: 9,100

Lens Type: FA25

Light Source: 120 volt/500 watt

Established: 1887

Automated: Dec. 1984

Visibility: 15 Miles
Did You Know: The original lantern (hung on the side of a barn in 1887) used to warn vessels transiting the area, was stolen in 1970. A few years later it was purchased by a couple from an antique dealer in Southern California. After her husband’s death, the widow took it to an antique dealer for appraisal. She was informed that the lantern had been stolen from the lighthouse at ALKI Point. She promptly returned the stolen property to the Coast Guard. Ironically, the lantern had never been polished. The thief’s fingerprints were still on the lantern. He got two years in prison for his pilfering

ALKI Point Light is located on the extreme westerly point of West Seattle. The point has held a variety of names, before it finally was named ALKI. Originally called Point Roberts, the Denny party in 1851 changed the name to New York, but later because of its slow growth, the Indian name ALKI (meaning by and by) was adopted. In 1856, the U.S. Coast Survey District officially charted the point as Battery Point for its potential as a fortification site. other names were eventually dropped though, and ALKI prevailed.

although the first light was a crude brass kerosene lantern that was hung on a post on the side of a barn. The light was started by Hans Martin Hanson, a humanitarian who saw a need for a light and supplied one. In 1887, the U.S. Lighthouse District realized the importance of the strategic turning point and officially installed a lens/lantern on a wood scaffold and named Hanson as the official keeper. His sole duty was to keep the lamp lit during the evening hours, 365 days a year, and was paid $15.00 a year to do so. He was granted no vacation and received no fringe benefits.

By 1910, the government realized that increasing commerce demanded a major lighthouse on the point. This wasn’t until after a ship collision between the Seattle/Port Blakely passen­ger steamer DIX collided with the schooner JEANIE, and went down with a loss of 39 lives. The JEANIE and rescue craft picked up 38 survivors from the water.

The land was purchased from Hanson’s son Edmond for $9,000 in 1910. It was a pie-shaped piece of land that totaled a little over an acre and a half, but it wasn’t until eight years later that a lighthouse was constructed there.

The lighthouse stood 37 feet high, and was an octagonal masonry tower and fog horn build­ing combined. The original light was electric, and had a 4th order Fresnel lens that was hand ground in Paris, France. The light now uses a 500 watt electric light bulb, has a candlepower of 15,000, and can be seen for 15 miles. The bulb lasts approximately 3,900 hours before it needs to be replaced. Its’ characteristic is a 0.2 second flash every 0.5 sec­onds, and is white in color. If electricity should fail, the light is powered by a standby generator that is ready at all times. If the generator should also fail, there is a standby light located on the outside of the tower that is operated by a 12 volt battery. It has a characteristic of 0.3 seconds off.

The fog horn equipment is original equipment installed in the lighthouse in 1918 when it was built. The horn is run by an electric air compressor, but like the light, it too, has a back up system in case of power failure. If a power failure occurs, the fog horn is run by a gaso­line engine. A switch is thrown, some valves opened, and pressure is built up in a large air flask. It furnishes 2 blasts every 30 seconds.
BROWNS POINT LIGHT: Tacoma, Washington
Closed to Public: No Structure for Public to see

Lens Type: Small Drum

Established: 1887

Automated: 1963

Visibility: 12 Miles
Did you know: Browns Point Light was Tacoma, Washington’s first entrance beacon that sported a light and fog signal

The present structure was erected in 1933 with tubular lantern and diaphragm type fog signal. The fog signal sounds about 837 hours a year, one of the highest recorded in the Puget Sound. The land was bought by the Lighthouse Service in 1903 for $3,000. A light­house and keeper’s dwelling were built. The light was first lit on 26 October 1903.

Today the site is a favorite picnic area for local residents. It has a tremendous view of the port of Tacoma and the ships that visit it.
BURROWS LIGHT: Rosario Strait, WA

Closed to the Public:

Candlepower: 23,000

Lens Type: 3OOmm

Light Source: 120 volt/l000 watt

Established: 1906

Automated: Sep. 1972

Visibility: 16 miles


Did You Know: Burrows Island, swept by swift running tides, is a small wooded islet bordered to the west by Rosario Strait and the east by Burrows Bay. The light’s red sector covers dangerous Dennis Shoal and Lawson Reef, a grave concern to mariners before the lighthouse was established in 1906. It is a snug little frame structure in a paradise setting, Leick-designed and virtually isolated from any populated areas. The rugged nature of the island demands a landings platform and a derrick for loading the station boat and bringing in supplies. The fog signal has been changed three times at Burrows. Originally it was a steam Daboll Whistle, then a reed horn, and presently a diaphram signal.

The most regrettable marine accident that occurred near the lighthouse was on December 5, 1923 when the venerable freight boat T.W. LAKE caught fire and burned to the waterline with the loss of 14 lives.


CAPE ARAGO LIGHT: Closed to the Public:

Coos Bay, Oregon

By Appointment Only

Candlepower: 250,000

Lens Type: 4th Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt

Established: 1866

Automated: May, 1966

Visibility: 23 Miles
Did You Know: Cape Arago Light was the second major beacon to be built along the Oregon coast. Commissioned on November 1, 1866, the old station buildings are perched upon a small rocky islet 1 1/2 miles south of the entrance to Coos River. A narrow bridge connects the island with the mainland.

The existing structure is in fact the third light to have occupied the small island. The “new” light, built in 1934, is a 4th-order Fresnel lens and sits 84 feet above the Pacific in a octago­nal pyramid tower.

The light’s group flashing white light shows 3 flashes every 20 seconds. The light is 250,000 candle power and is displayed from an octagonal tower attached to a small building. The fog signal is a diaphragm horn chime.

After July 1, 1909, a first class compressed air siren with alternate blasts was installed. The Coos Indians referred to this site as Baldidzawitsc, meaning “toward the sea.” The site commands a stunning vista of the harbor entrance and is located immediately adjacent to popular Sunset Bay State Park.

On January 3, 1852, a maritime disaster near the entrance to Coos Bay brought the first white residents to the estuary. The CAPTAIN LINCOLN, a coastal steamer carrying U.S. Army personnel to the newly established Fort Orford on Oregon’s southwest coast, foundered in a storm and beached on the North Spit of Coos Bay. Although the castaways from the ship camped for nearly five months near their lonely wreck, the eventually left the region. Not until 1853 did white settlers come to make permanent homes in the land of the Coos Indian-an s.

The construction of the light was carried out in 1866 and the light was first illuminated on November 1 of that year. The original lens was a 4th-order Fresnel beacon 75 feet above sea level.

From 1878 until 1891, the island also housed a U.S. Life Saving Service station.

Throughout the 1880’s, as in previous years, the low bridge to the island created considerable difficulties for the crews and families at the station. Finally, in 1889, the government began accepting bids for the construction of a high bridge across the inlet to the station.. The Light House Board reported, however, that all were too expensive. In 1891 the Light House Board secured funding for the construction of a cable tramway from the mainland to the island, the project was carried out during the summer and was completed on September 13, 1891.

In 1896, the lighthouse was renovated after a four month delay when a schooner carrying materials wrecked on the coast. The iron tower was enclosed in a layer of brick, a fog signal, and duplex keepers quarters were constructed. A new boat house was also built at Charles­ton for the lighthouse crew.

On the morning of June 4, 1898, four people were halfway across the inlet in the tramway cage when the cable broke plunging them onto the rocks and surf sixty feet below. One of the injured, the first assistant keeper of the light, suffered such severe injury to his leg that it later had to be amputated.

The accident was the last straw and a high bridge was completed on July 28, 1898, and has served as access to the island since.

In 1908, the second Cape Arago Lighthouse was completed on the eastern end of the island at the same time the dense stand of spruce trees which covered the island were destroyed. In 1934, a third and current lighthouse was constructed on the same site and has served since. The first lighthouse was dynamited in 1936.


CAPE BLANCO LIGHT: Closed to the Public:

Cape Blanco, OR

Park is assessable

Candlepower: 320,000

Lens Type: 2nd-Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt

Established: 1870

Automated: 1980

Visibility: 23 Miles
Did you know: The rocks around Cape Blanco are strewn with the wreckage of many ships which went astray. In 1883, the VICTORIA struck a reef resulting in total loss. The oil tanker CHANSLOR broke up on the rocks in 1919 throwing 39 people and 30,000 barrels of oil into the water, only three crew members survived.

The original light structure was started on December 20, 1870, and the wood-frame keepers barracks were built in 1909. It is the oldest remaining light structure on the coast of Oregon as well as the highest. It also bears a the distinction of being the western most light on the mainland of the continental United States

The actual discovery of the cape and how it got its name its name is somewhat muddled.

Old station records indicated the cape was discovered” in 1775 by a Spanish explorer,

Blanco de Sebastion. Other sources indicate the cape was discovered in 1603 by another

Spanish explorer, Martin D’Aguilar.


It is told that before the light at Cape Blanco was established, a sympathetic hotel owner in nearby Port Orford, would keep a lantern burning in a seaward window to serve as a beacon for mariners.
The light structure is a conical brick tower. The 2nd-order Fresnel lens was built by Henry Le Pautre of Paris, France. The lens for the main light cost $20,000 and is some five feet in diameter and seven feet high. The kerosene lamp, first used inside the lens, was rated at a 50,000 candlepower. Today, with a 1,000 watt electric bulb, it’s rated at 320,000 candle­power. The lens Sits about 200 feet above the Pacific

Even with its remote location, some 50 miles south of Coos Bay, OR, the light still draws some 3,000 visitors a year.

Prom 1952 until 1980, the Coast Guard operated a LORAN (LOng RAnge Navigation) trans­mitting facility at Cape Blanco. Since then technology has improved this stem creating newer equipment with ten times the accuracy and three times the coverage range of the old stem.

During WWII the facility served as a base for high-power war department communications. In 1992, the Coast Guard had just completed a $15,000 renovation of the lighthouse - the oldest on the Oregon coast - in anticipation of handing over ownership to the state Parks and Recreation Department. The Coast Guard had hoped the state would add an interpretive center that would explain the role of Oregon’s historic lighthouses in marine navigation.

November 1992, vandals violated the lighthouse. They broke in through a window, climbed the main ladder and smashed every window on the way to the gallery. In the gallery, they knocked out every pane of glass plus a piece called the bull’s-eye of the Fresnel lens and several of its lesser prisms.

At first, the Fresnel lens manufactured in France in the 1860’s was considered irreplaceable. The Coast Guard discovered Hardin Optical Company in Bandon could manufacture a re­placement. The cost of the replacement lens was approximately $26,000. The vandals were each ordered to pay restitution of more than $13,000.


CAPE DISAPPOINTMENT: Mouth of the Columbia River, WA

Open to the Public: Information below

Candlepower: 200,000

Lens Type: 4th-Order Fresnel lens

Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt

Established: 1856

Automated: 1973

Visibility: 22 Miles


Did You Know: The Columbia River entrance, known as the “Graveyard of the Pacific” is the roughest and most treacherous stretch of water in the United States, and one of the most dangerous river bars in the world. In 1977, the National Transportation Safety Board recommended that the Columbia River Bar be designated “a specially hazardous area”, the only such designation for a river bar or inlet on the entire 88,533 mile U.S. coastline. It has been the scene of more than 400 marine disasters since a lifeboat from the sailing ship TONQUIN capsized on an attempted crossing of the barin 1811.

It was not until the joint occupation of the Oregon country by the United States and England (1818-1846) had ended, and the area had been given territorial status in 1848 that the federal government made any move to establish lighthouses in the Pacific Northwest. Construction of a lighthouse at Cape Disappointment and establishment of buoys to mark the Columbia River entrance was authorized by Congress in 1850.

The first reference to the Cape as being an aid to navigation was made by Lieutenant William P McArthur, in a booklet of coastal sailing directions issued in December, 1850. He noted that one must pass close to San Island and fall into the range of the beacon with the trimmed trees on Cape Disappointment and proceed as already directed. The marker to which McArthur referred had been constructed by trimming the tops off of three prominent spruces growing on the summit of the cape. A ship would take a bearing on these trees from a distance of five miles offshore, then head for the southerly tip of the cape and thus sail through the deepest part of the river.

The Lieutenant conducted a survey for a lighthouse in 1846, recommending that it be constructed on the southwest ridge even though it was not the highest point the Cape.

Two years after McArthur’s recommendation (1852), Congress appropriated $53,000 for construction of the lighthouse. Before the light was constructed, local Indians served as lookouts. Whenever they sighted a ship approaching, they would paddle to Astoria with the news and the townspeople would go out and guide the ship in.

The bark ORIOLE, carrying the necessary supplies for the completion of the lighthouse, arrived at the mouth of the Columbia River on September 18, 1853. The ORIOLE, after waiting in rough seas for eight days, attempted to cross the formidable bar and soon after sank in heavy breakers. The valuable cargo was written off as a total loss.

A second shipment of materials arrived in 1854. In the meantime, it was discovered that the Fresnel lens, made in France, did not fit the new construction. The tower, declared too small and of inferior materials, was torn down and rebuilt. Money for the reconstruction of the lighthouse came from appropriations for two other lighthouses to be built on the Washington coast. The construction of the lighthouse proved to be a difficult and tedious task, since an oxen trail had to be cut along the steep slope, permitting the transportation of necessary materials.

The light was established on October 15, 1856. The lantern sits 53 feet above the ground, and 220 feet above the Pacific

Ocean. It can be seen up to 21 miles out to sea. The original optic was a 1st-order Fresnel lens of French manufacture

which was replaced by a smaller 4th-order Barbier & Benard lens in 1898, when the 1st order lens was moved to North

Head Lighthouse.

The light source was a large oil lamp having five separate oil wicks, making a flame 18” in diameter, consuming 170 gallons (of sperm oil) a month.

The light was originally equipped with a 1600 pound fog bell which was sounded nine times a minute by a mechanical bell striker. Due to the unusual high and shape of the cape no single fog signal could adequately cover the area. The signal at Cape Disappointment was discontinued sometime between 1877 and 1887 after several different types were tried. The light was electrified in 1919 and a radio-beacon was added in 1936.

The original lens for Cape Disappointment Light, still in perfect condition although about 150 years old, is on display at Fort Columbia State Park, near Chinook, Washington. The original lens of North Head Light, a few miles to the north, is now on display at Fort Canby State Park Interpretive Center on the cape.

Directions/Hours: Fort Canby State Park - from downtown Ilwaco, follow signs to Cape Disappointment and Fort

Canby State Park. Signs on the cape direct visitors to the lighthouse. Park in the Coast Guard parking lot and hike up a road that is closed to visitor’s vehicles. Lighthouse tours are conducted from late June through September, at 7 P.M.. on Fridays. Participants meet at the parking lot.

Tour Information: 206-642-3029
CAPE FLATTERY LIGHT: Closed to the Public:

Tatoosh Island, Washington

Inaccessible by land

Candlepower: 860,000

Lens Type: DCB 224

Light Source: 120 volt/i 000 watt

Established: 1857

Automated: April 1987

Visibility: 24 Miles
Did You Know: Cape Flattery Light Station is situated on Tatoosh Island, on the south side of the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The light covers the treacherous shoals of Duntze and Duncan rocks which extend approximately two miles into the strait.

In early years, the light station was of supreme importance as keepers reported ships standing off shore waiting for a pilot or for tugs to tow them into the strait. The lighthouse marks the end of the boundary from the 49th parallel to the Pacific Ocean, as agreed upon by the United States and Canada, as proclaimed on July 1, 1908. The point of reference in the pinnacle of the roof of the lantern. Geodetic position of mark was determined by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1893.

The lighthouse is a white conical tower on a gray sandstone dwelling and is 65 feet high. The lens is 165 feet above the water and is visible for a distance of 19 miles. The light is displayed one hour before sunset to one hour after sunrise.

The lighthouse was originally built in 1854, but was abandoned for over three years due to the hostility of the Indians. In 1857, when the Indians became more friendly, the lighthouse was established and has been in service since that time.

The station was built in 1857. The first keeper of the station resigned because of the ‘annoyances’ he and the other three white men suffered at the hands of the Indians living on the island. Prior to the time the light was built, the island had been used as a whaling station by the local Indians. Before work on the station could be started, a stockade had to be established and workmen furnished with muskets to protect themselves against the Indians from the northern side of the strait.

The light displays a flashing white light of 3 flashes every 45 seconds. The light consists of a 4th order mercury light float-type lens mounted in a white sandstone tower 165 feet above the water.

On March 22, 1778, Captain James Cook discovered and named Cape Flattery. Manuel Guimper called it “Punta de

Martinez” in 1790. It was also known as Cape Classet and Tutusi by the early fir traders. The original name given by

Cook was retained by Vancouver on his chart in 1792.

Captain John Meares, on an expedition south from Nootka Sound, in the 230 ton ship EELICE ADVENTURER, arrived off the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca on Sunday, April 28, 1788. He named the strait after the original explorer. Sailing across the mouth of the strait he was warmly welcomed by Chief Tatooche. He explored the island home of the chief and named the Tatooche Island, the name it bears today.

Shortly after 1930, Cape Flattery Lighthouse was electrified and fitted with a compressed air operated fog signal. At one time, over 300 people, Army Weather Station personnel and Coast Guard personnel lived on the island.

Tatoosh Island forms the nucleus of a group of isolated rocks three quarters of a mile off Cape Flattery at the northwest­ern tip of the Olympic Peninsula. This was a summer home for the Makah Indians who grew potatoes on the island and build their houses and fish drying racks along its rocky sides.



CAPE MEARES LIGHT: Open to the Public:

near TILLAMOOK, Oregon

During Summer months

Candlepower: 860,000

Lens Type: DCB 24

Light Source: 120 volt/i 000 watt

Established: 1890

Automated: May 1963

Visibility: 24 Miles
Did You Know: This lighthouse was built to provide navigational aids for vessels on the northern Oregon coast and especially for those near the entrance to TILLAMOOK Bay.

Its light is 232 feet above the sea and is visible for 17 miles. The station was automated April 1, 1963; the two keepers and their families left the site at this time. The French Fresnel oil lens was lighted with a kerosene lamp for twenty years. In 1910, an oil vapor lamp was used. In 1934, electrical power from diesel generators on the site lighted the beacon.

Although it stands on Cape Meares, this lighthouse was supposed to have been constructed on Cape Lookout, ten miles to the north. “Through some misunderstanding the U.S. Coast Survey adopted the name Cape Lookout on its charts of 1850 and 1853 for a point about ten miles south of Meares’ original location”.

The error was compounded by George Davidson of the U.S. Coast Survey in 1857. He felt that the name Cape Lookout had became so well attached erroneously that he would let it remain and proclaim the other Cape Meares in honor of its discoverer. That supposedly was to make it official, but the distinction was not as firmly established as Davidson believed.

The confusing element was that Cape Lookout for many years was the site what the government had designated for a lighthouse. The land had been surveyed and officially recorded.

Then came the fallacy. In 1889, the U.S. Lighthouse Service directed a lighthouse be constructed on Cape Lookout. Supplies were landed at Cape Meares instead. A dangerous switch-back ox team trail was blazed to the summit of Cape Meares. From Gabriel Place below the headland much of the building material was hauled by both ox and horse teams to the lighthouse site. About the time the station was completed in 1890, the mistake about the intended site was discovered. The lighthouse had been built in the wrong place. With funds and transportation involved, it was impossible for the government to build another lighthouse a mere ten miles away. The beacon remained at the site, and the President of the United States, Benjamin Harrison, signed the bill to approve it.

The originally intended site for the lighthouse was retained as a bird refuge until recent years when it became a part of the State Park system.

Its light is 232 feet above the sea and is visible for 17 miles. The station was automated April 1, 1963; the two keepers and their families left the site at this time. The French Fresnel oil lens was lighted with a kerosene lamp for twenty years. In 1910, an oil vapor lamp was used. In 1934, electrical power from diesel generators on the site lighted the beacon.

Although it stands on Cape Meares, this lighthouse was supposed to have been constructed on Cape Lookout, ten miles to the north. “Through some misunderstanding the U.S. Coast Survey adopted the name Cape Lookout on its charts of 1850 and 1853 for a point about ten miles south of Meares’ original location”.

The error was compounded by George Davidson of the U.S. Coast Survey in 1857. He felt that the name Cape Lookout had became so well attached erroneously that he would let it remain and proclaim the other Cape Meares in honor of its discoverer. That supposedly was to make it official, but the distinction was not as filmy established as Davidson believed.

The confusing element was that Cape Lookout for many years was the site what the government had designated for a lighthouse. The land had been surveyed and officially recorded.

Then came the fallacy. In 1889, the U.S. Lighthouse Service directed a lighthouse be constructed on Cape Lookout. Supplies were landed at Cape Meares instead. A dangerous switch-back ox team trail was blazed to the summit of Cape Meares. From Gabriel Place below the headland much of the building material was hauled by both ox and horse teams to the lighthouse site. About the time the station was completed in 1890, the mistake about the intended site was discovered. The lighthouse had been built in the wrong place. With funds and transportation involved, it was impossible for the government to build another lighthouse a mere ten miles away. The beacon remained at the site, and the President of the United States, Benjamin Harrison, signed the bill to approve it.

The originally intended site for the lighthouse was retained as a bird refuge until recent years when it became a part of the State Park system.

DESTRUCTION ISLAND: Destruction Island, Washington

Closed to the Public:

Inaccessible by Land

Candlepower: 1,400,000

Lens Type: 1st Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt

Established: 1891

Automated: Nov. 68

Visibility: 24 Miles


Did You Know: Construction of Destruction Island Light started in 1888 and was completed in 1891 when the first light was turned on. The fog signal started operating the following year.

On March 3, 1855 Congress appropriated $45,000 for a first-class light and fog signal at Destruction Island. On August 4, 1886 an additional $45,000 was appropriated. Construction of the light begun in the summer of 1888 and the tower was completed November 12, 1891.

The fog signal was placed in operation November 1, 1891, and the light has been continuously exhibited since January 1892.
According to a report made to the Department of Commerce on April 23, 1930, the site of the Destruc­tion Island Light was reserved for lighthouse purposes by executive order June 8, 1866. The same report describes the lighthouse as a brick tower encased in iron with a keeper’s dwelling and a concrete signal

building.


The light shows a flashing white light of 1,400,000 candlepower every 10 seconds. The tower is conical in shape, masonry construction and is 94 feet high. The 1st order Fresnel lens is 147 feet above sea level and is visible for 24 miles.

Destruction Island received its name from Captain Charles William Barkley, English trader and explorer, who applied it after losing several members of his crew who had gone ashore in a ship’s boat to fill the empty water kegs. A hostile band of natives attacked the landing party near the mouth of the Hoe River (on the mainland) killing them all. Somehow the name applied to the nearby island.


DOEFLEMYER POINT: Olympia, Washington
Open to Public: Grounds Only
Lens Type: Small Drum
Established: 1887
Automated: 1987
Visibility: 9 Miles

Did you know: Dofflemyer Point Light is positioned along the searoad to Olympia, Washington. It is the most southern light in the Puget Sound. The original structure was built in 1887, and was rebuilt in 1936.

In its early days, Dofflemyer Point Light was nothing more that a post lantern, as was the case with many navigational aids before electricity. A concrete tower replaced the post light in 1934 and a fog signal was added.

GRAYS HARBOR: Westport, Washington.

Open/Closed to Public: Call Station at (360)268-0121
Candlepower:

Lens Type: 3rd-Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/i 000 watt

Established: 1897

Automated: 1960’s

Visibility: 23 Miles

Did You Know: Grays Harbor Light was dedicated August 23, 1987. The lens sits 123 feet above sea level. The flash is half second red followed by an eclipse of 14.5 seconds then a half second flash of white and another 14.5 second eclipse.

The tower is an octagonal pyramid of masonry construction designed by C.W. Leick and stands 107 feet tall. Because it was built on sand, it was provided with a 12 foot sub-surface base, concrete foundation. On top of this mass was set huge sandstone blocks, then four courses of masonry rising to the iron plated watchroom, and lamphouse.

The 3rd-order lens placed in the lantern was built in 1895 by Henry LePaute Sons, of Paris, France, and is numbered HL­

343. The lens mechanism floats on a reservoir of mercury.

The original fog signal building, housing two giant boilers to generate steam to sound a Brown’s automatic siren, was leveled by fire in 1916.

The light structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, November 2, 1977.

HECETA HEAD: Heceta Head, Or
Open to Public: Yes, Grounds Only
Candlepower: 4,500,000

Lens Type: 1st order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt’1000 watt

Established: 1894

Automated: August 1963

Visibility: 21 Miles

Did You Know: Heceta Head Lighthouse is the last major Oregon seacoast light to be established. The light is by far the most powerful marine beacon on the coast of Oregon. The light is located 12 miles north of Florence, Oregon along Highway 101.

Heceta Head Light was named after Captain Don Bruno de Heceta, a Captain in the Royal Navy of Spain who was placed in command of an expedition to explore the Northwest coast. He sailed along this rugged coast in 1775 as far north as the 59th parallel (near Sitka, Alaska. The name was official in 1862 by the U.S. Coast Survey.

Building of the lighthouse was begun in 1892, apparently using the same drawings as those used for the second Umpqua River Light. Two houses were erected for personnel, one for the keeper and a similar double house for the two assistants.

The first-order lens, with carriage, was installed in 1893 and put in operation in 1894. The machinery was made in England. The light equipment was a five wick arrangement and burned refined coal oil and was turned by means of a weight attached to a cable which was in turn attached to an arrangement of gears. The weight had to wound up, by hand, every four hours. Candlepower at the time of installation was 80,000, and the visual distance of the light was about 20 miles. The lens is 205 feet above sea level.

In 1910, a gas type Bunsen burner was used for the light until electrical power was installed some years later. There are about 640 pieces of prism in the lens. The glass lens was made by Chance Brothers of England and the prisms are about 2 inches thick. The main light is now a 1000 watt bulb, magnified through the prisms to put out a total of 4,500,000 candlepower, which is visible for 21 miles. The top of the lens is 56 feet above the ground.

Due to the vicious rock formations in the area, shipping lanes stayed well to seaward eliminating the need for a fog signal.

During the mid-50’s and 60s, more than 14,000 visitors were recorded yearly. Today, over 1000 people visit the light over any summer weekend.

On July 20, 1963, the light was converted to automatic operation and is now controlled from Coast Guard Station Siuslaw River in Florence, Oregon.

LIME KILN LIGHT: DEAD MANS BAY/SAN JUAN ISLAND, WA
Open to Public: Yes, Grounds Only; Access: LIME Kiln PARK
Candlepower:

.Lens Type: PA 251

Light Source: 120 volt/175 watt

Established: 1914

Automated: August 1962

Visibility: 17 Miles

Did You Know: Lime Kiln is one of the last major light stations established in Washington and is located on the western slopes of San Juan Island overlooking Haro Strait.

Originally established in 1914, the station was rebuilt and automated in the early 1960’s. It took its name from the surrounding limerock cliffs where for years the substance was mined and placed in the many kilns (now abandoned) that still dot the cliffside.

The original light source was an incandescent oil vapor until after WW II, one of the last lights in the U.S. to convert to electric ity.

Before the advent of the lighthouse, marine mishaps were recorded as far back as July 1855 when the Hawaiian bark Louika, commanded by Captain Wilfong, crashed into the rocks and became a total loss. The schooner Ontario was dashed ashore near the present site of the beacon on March 25, 1875.

MARROWSTONE POINT: MARROWSTONE Island, WA.

Open to the Public: Directions and Hours below


Candlepower: 462

Lens Type: 250 mm

Light Source: 3.05 amp

Established: 1888

Automated: August 1962

Visibility: 9 Miles

Did You Know: MARROWSTONE Point was reserved by the government as a lighthouse site in 1854. It was called Point

Carol. Capt. George Vancouver first named it Point Marrows tone in 1792 after the soft clay he saw on the bluffs.

General usage retained the name MARROWSTONE Point which was extended to the island.

The light was established on October 1, 1888. It was a red fixed lens lantern affixed to a pole with the light only 15 feet above sea level. A bell fog signal was installed in 1896. Several experimental fog signals were installed until 1918, when increased wartime traffic demanded more traditional means be employed. A foghorn house was finally placed atop the installation.

At about the same time, a new light structure was placed atop the installation and MARROWSTONE came of age as a light­house.

Some of the original buildings still stand on the site as they did over ninety years ago. A sidewalk near the dwelling is inscribed “USLHS 1918.” A U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service now uses the keeper’s dwelling as a laboratory. Lab equipment fills rooms where the keeper, his wife, and children once lived.

Directions and Hours: Access to the lighthouse is through Fort Flagler State Park, so hours to see the lighthouse are the same as the park hours. The park is open from April 15 to October 1, from 6A.M. to dusk. It is open October 2 to April 15, from 8 A.M. to dusk.

MUKILTEO LIGHT: Mukilteo, Washington

Open to Public: CONTACT MIM LAURIE, (206)355-9656

Candlepower: 27,000

Lens Type: 4th order fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/l50 watt

Established: 1906

Automated: June 1979

Visibility: 12 Miles

Did You Know: Mukilteo Light Station was built between 1905 and 1906, by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. The light was erected on historic ground where Governor Isaac I. Stevens signed the Point Elliot Treaty with the surrounding Indian tribes in 1855. It is a turning point for ships going into Everett, Washington and is immediately adjacent to the Washing­ton State Ferry terminal there.

The fourth-order lens in this lighthouse was made by L. Suatter & CIE, in Paris, France. Built in 1852 and was origi­nally in the DUNGENESS Light. When Mukilteo was converted from kerosene in 1927 its old lens was not adaptable and the equipment of the two beacons were exchanged. The lens rests 33 feet above sea level in a structure designed by C.W. Leick.

Originally lit with a kerosene lantern, today a 1000 watt bulb is used in conjunction with the lens to produce 27,000 candlepower and 24,000 candlepower while running on a standby generator. It’s two second white flash every five seconds can be seen 12 miles.

When visibility is less than 5 miles, a fog signal operated by air compressors is automatically activated.

The first visitor signed the light’s log book on 16 March 1906.

NEW DUNGENESS LIGHT: near Sequim, Washmgton

Open to Public: YES; THURSDAY TIIIRU MONDAY

Candlepower: 180,000

Lens Type: DCB 24

Light Source: 120 volt/500 watt

Established: 1857

Automated: October 1976

Visibility: 22 Miles


Did You Know: New DUNGENESS Light staflon is located on a sandspit approximately 12 miles eastward of Port Angeles, Washington, marking the eastern reach of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The station consists of a light, fog signal, and a radio beacon. The light is of 180,000 candlepower flashing white displayed ftom a white conical tower. The light rests 67 feet above sea level and is visible for a distance of 22 miles.

The light was first exhibited on December 14, 1857, fourteen days before the completion of Cape Flattery Light, thus becoming the first American Light in Puget Sound. Historians report that the sand spit on which the light stands was so low that mariners were upon it before they were aware of their danger. For this reason the fog signal at this station has always been of great importance.

Indians used the spit as a battleground, sort of a no-man’s-land between local Indians and those from Canada, The station keepers simply pulled the shutters and let them have at iL

During one great storm in the winter of 1871, the tongue of sand was severed and the lighthouse stood on an island. The breach finally healed itself and ever since has remained connected to the mainland at the opposite end, though heavy breakers often contort its appearance.

NORTH HEAD LIGHT: Ilwaco, Washington

Open to the Public: Information below

Candlepower: 860,000

Lens Type: DCB224

Light Source: 120 volt/i 000 watt

Established: 1898

Automated: December 1961

Visibility: 26 Miles


Did You Know: North Head Light stands 194 feet above the Pacific Ocean and was erected less than two miles from Cape Disappointment in 1898 due mostly to a growing number of shipwrecks along the 28 miles North Beach Peninsula.

The lens installed at the lighthouse was the first order apparatus that had previously been used at Cape DisappointmenL That lens is today on display at nearby Fort Columbia Museum where it is viewed by thousands of visitors each year. It is perhaps the oldest of its kind on the West Coast, having served in three lighthouses.

When electricity came to North Head in 1935, the first order lens was replaced by a forth-order Fresnel lens. A third lens, a Crous-Hinds aero marine beacon was put into use at the lighthouse August 1, 1961, producing 1.2 million candles.

During the summer the lighthouse is open for tours conducted by the staff at Fort Canby Interpretive Center. For more information call the interpretive center at (360)642-3029.

POINT NO POINT LIGHT: Hainesville, Washinton

Open to Public: YES; WEDNESDAY THRU SATURDAY

Candlepower: 200,000

Lens Type: 4th Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/i 000 watt

Established: 1879

Automated: Aug, 1977

Visibility:


Did you know: Point no Point light located near Halnsville, Washington was established in 1879. Its guiding light to mariners has been shinning since 1880. The point was named by the U.S. Exploring Exposition in 1841.

Much of the early history surrounding Point No Point has been lost through the years. And, historically, it has taken second place to other lighthouses in the Pacific Northwest which experienced a more colorful beginning, i.e. trouble with local and Canadian Indians, construction problems, ect

Of passing interest is the fact that an Irish born “keeper” Mr. Edward Scannell was keeper of the station just after the turn of the century and was paid the sum of $800 per year to run the station with one assistant. In 1928 Point No Point was the scene of a tragic disaster when the Canadian lines Princess Victoria collided with the SS ADMIRAL SAMPSON in a dense fog. The latter went down in less than 4 minutes with a loss of 16 lives. In 1930 the lighthouse was struct by lightning and suffered minor damage.

The completed lighthouse was a conservatively priced masonry structure ten feet square and only 27 feet in height. The station also included a fogbell struck by machinery and a large, comfortable dwelling. The light was displayed the first time on New Year’s day 1880, just two weeks after Point Wilson Light was illuminated. The fogbell was eliminated in 1900 when a fog signal house with sizable trumpets was attached to the tower.

POINT ROBINSON LIGHT: EAST END OF MAURY ISLAND, WASHINGTON
Open to Public: YES; WEEKENDS ONLY

Candlepower: 11,000

Lens Type: 5th Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/500 watt

Established: 1885

Year Automated: Apr, 1978

Visibility
Did You Know: Point Robinson Light Station is located on the southeastern tip of Maury Island, which adjoins Vashon Island, facing the east passage halfway between Seattle and Tacoma in lower Puget Sound.

The first light to mark Point Robinson was a kerosene lantern hung on a 25 foot white pole (circa 1885). This was replaced by an open frame wooden structure which was built in 1894-95. This structure used a lantern assembly and was used until 1918. In that year, the present lighthouse was constructed of concrete with an octagonal tower that housed the lens 40 feet above the water.

The present light is an 11,000 candlepower signal, with a 500 watt bulb housed in 5th order Fresnel lens built by L Sautter, Lemennier Cie of Paris, France. This light rests 23 feet above the water, has a nominal range of 14 miles and is group flashing white. The WEA performed the first sluicing job in the state, if not the country when it filled the swampy area around the point and landscaped it in 1939.

The register of visitors log which is maintained at the lighthouse in the original log and dates back to February 5, 1893.

POINT WILSON LIGHT: Port Townsend, Washington

Open to Public: YES; GROUNDS ONLY


Candlepower: 60,000
Lens Type: 5th Order Fresnel
Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt
Established: 1879
Year Automated: Nov, 1976
Visibility:

Did you know: Point Wilson Light is located about two miles northwest of Port Townsend. The point was named byCaptain Vancouver in 1792 for a friend, Captain George Wilson of the British Navy.The light boasts a fourth-order Fresnel lens, imported from France and is one of nine Fresnel lenses still in operation inthe State of Washington. The light can be seen for 13 miles.Eighteen years after Admiralty Head was built, Point Wilson lighthouse was lit December 15, 1879.The first two keepers of the light were David Litfiefield, a Civil War veteran who was paid $800 per year and his assistant, H.L. Rogers who was paid $600 per year

.

SLIP POINT LIGHT: Clallam Bay, Washington



Closed to Public: NO STRUCTURE FOR PUBLIC TO SEE

Candlepower: 440,000

Lens Type: DCB 24

Light Source: 120 voltt’500 watt

Established: 1905

Year Automated: Aug, 1977

Visibility:

Did you know: Slip Point Light was the last major light station established on the American side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This was a very picturesque point of land near the town of Clallam Bay. A misunderstanding over acquisition of land for the watch tower was apparent from the outset. On June 6, 1900, Congress appropriated $12,500 for the land and the proposed lighthouse but the owners of the property held out for an exorbitant price. Condemnation proceedings were begun and delays followed until June 5, 1902 when $2562 was paid to the owners.Because of construction and financial difficulties, it was not until April 1, 1905 that the lighthouse was completed, consisting of a one story frame fog signal building with a third class Daboll trumpet, a lens-lantern and a keeper’s residence. In 1916, a cylindrical iron lantern was added to the tower, raising the light’s focal plane to 35 feet above the ground. A new two panel “clam shell” lens featuring giant circular bulls-eyes puts out two powerful flashes of 130,000 candlepower, then considered a radiant beam. The 4th-order apparatus had a range of 12 miles, but in order to keep it in operation the attendants had to walk more than a fifth of mile from the station dwelling to perform their chores. They would skirt around the rocky shoreline and cross a narrow footbridge to reach the lighthouse.

SMITH ISLAND LIGHT: San Juan Islands, Washington
Open/Closed to Public: NO STRUCTURE FOR PUBLIC TO SEE

Candlepower: 120,000

Lens Type: DCB 24

Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt


Automated: Jan, 1977
Visibility:

Did you know: Smith Island Light is in the eastern part of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, at the southerly entrance to Rosario Strait and about eleven miles northwest of the entrance to Admiralty Inlet. It is about six miles west of Whidby Island.

Smith Island Light was established 18 October 1858, and is the third oldest light in the Strait of Juan de Fuca - Puget Sound area. The original light source was a lamp, burning lard oil, but records in this office do not indicate that candles were ever used as an illuminate. It is thought that the word “candle” might have been mistaken for “candlepower”. The old light lists do say that it was a 4th-order, 6-panel catadioptric Fresnel lens with 10-inch bulls-eye. In 1880, the lard oil lamp was replaced with a Rains mineral oil lamp. In 1910, an incandescent oil vapor (IOV) lamp was installed. This lamp consisted of a kerosene pressure tank, a generator and a mantle type burner which operated in much the sme way as Coleman or Aladdin lamps do today. The IOV lamps were a great improvement over the old wick-buring lamps, but were also very temperamental. The Smith Island Light produced 24,000 candlepower with the IOV lamp. In 1930, Smith Island Light was electrified and the rated candlepower was increased to 60,000. The equipment presently at Smith Island Light is a 36 inch, Crous-Ilinds rotating beacon, 97 feet above the water, using a 500 watt bulb, producing 120,000 candlepower and is visible for 16 miles.

Smith Island was discovered in 1791 by Don Francisco de Eliza who named it Isle de Bonilla. Vancouver visited the island in 1792, but gave it no name. In 1841 the island was called Blunt’s Island by a U.S. Exploration Expedition. The U.S. Coast Survey Coast Pilot of the California, Oregon, Washington Territory, published in 1869, says that the island is generally referred to as either Blunt’s or Smith’s Island. It has been called Smith Island since about 1890.

TURN POINT LIGHT: Stuart Island, Washington

Closed to Public: NO STRUCTURE FOR PUBLIC TO SEE

Candlepower: 409,000

Lens Type: 3Oomm


Light Source: 2.03 amp

Established: 1893


Automated: Jul, 1974
Visibility:
Did you know: Turn Point Light, located on Stuart Island in Haro Strait was erected in 1893 with a lens-lanturn and a steam operated Daboll trumpet. Re-established in 1936 with a duplex light of 300mm, red and white, and diaphram foghorn, the station was one of the last to be electrified on the West Coast because of the delay in laying an underwater cable between the islands.

UMPQUA RIVER LIGHT: Umpqua River, Oregon


Open to Public: YES; GROUNDS ONLY

Candlepower: 400,000

Lens Type: 1st Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 volt/l000 watt

Established: 1861

Automated: 1966


Visibility:

Did you know: Umpqua River Lighthouse is located on the Oregon coast approximately 19.5 miles north of Coos Bay. The light is 65 feet high, 165 feet above sea level. Its 1000 watt bulb is magnified through the lenses to 400,000 candle­power for white and 200,000 candlepower for red, and is visible for 18 to 20 miles at sea. It rotates at a rate of four times each minute, displaying two white flashes and one red flash every 15 seconds.

On October 10, 1857, the lighthouse was commissioned and operational. The river bar was and is treacherous, shoals often shifted, rocks were numerous, and aids to navigation were all but non-existant. On February 8, 1861, the swollen river undermined the light’s foundations and the entire structure toppled. No personnel were injured, but their attempt to save the lenses while the tower leaned was unsuccessful.

Built amid trees and dunes on a hillock at the south side of the river entrance, the current Umpqua River Lighthouse was completed and operational on December 31, 1894, after long delays in funding the project, construction, and final fitting of the lens.

February 24, 1958, an internal fire caused the only black out of the light since 1894 and destroyed the visitor’s register which dated back to 1895.

WEST POINT LIGHT: Seattle, Washington

Open to Public: YES, GROUNDS ONLY
Candlepower: 80,000 white/I 8,000 red

Lens Type:

Light Source: 120 volt/1000 watt

Established: 1881

Automated: Feb, 1985

Visibility:


Did you know: West Point Lighthouse was built eight years before Washington State WA admitted into the union and is the oldest lighthouse in the Seattle area.

The lighthouse was established in 1881. During it’s early days of operation, a kerosene lantern guided sailors around the shoals. Currently operating from sunset to sunrise, the 27 foot tower houses a 1000 watt bulb inside a 18604th-order fresnel lens and blinks a red and white flash every ten seconds. On a clear night the 80,000 candlepower white light can be seen up to 19 miles away and the red 18,000 candlepower light can be seen 16 miles away.

In 1977, West Point Light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

WILLAPA BAY LIGHT: Willapa Bay, Washington

Open/Closed to Public:
Candlepower:

Lens Type: 190 mm

Light Source: 120 volt/250 watt

Established: 1858

Automated: 1958

Visibility:


Did you know: The lighthouse was built in 1858 and was a Cape Cod design. It was a masonry dwelling with a cone shaped tower rising from the center. The light was first lit on 1 October 1858.

Evidence of erosion began to show in the late 1860s and the Lighthouse Service built a bulkhead to secure the Light­house foundation. In 1940, erosion undermined part of the lighthouse foundation and the lighthouse was left hanging over the cliff. The Coast Guard placed the light on a metal tower 400 yards east of the old lighthouse. The tower had to be moved and the present tower was built in 1984.

YAQUINA HEAD LIGHT: Yaquina, Oregon
Open to Public: YES; GROUNDS ONLY

Candlepower: 131,000

Lens Type: 1st Order Fresnel

Light Source: 120 vol/i 000 watt

Established: 1873

Automated: May, 1966

Visibility:
Did you know: Our American heritage has left us few things as picturesque and materially long-lived as those light­houses which were built nearly a century ago on both our coasts. One such station is Yaquina Head Light, built in 1873 to replace the old Yaquina Bay Light, some 3 miles south.

An interesting sidelight is that the light station was built on the wrong piece of real estate. The property designated for the construction of the replacement lighthouse was at Otter Crest, often called Cape Foulweather, seven miles north of Yaquina Bay. But the localities of that day had somehow come to call Yaquina Head by the name of Cape Foulweather, and, in the confusion, the construction materials were delivered to Yaquina Head by mistake. The materials were laboriously landed on the rugged promontory, and no one was of a mind to move them when the mistake was uncovered.

The land upon which the new station was built covers more than 19 acres, reserved by presidential order in June of 1866. The tower, built in a conical shape with brick and iron, stands 93 feet from its base, 162 feet above the ocean. The second oldest active light station on the Oregon coast, this structure has been described as a “most splendid piece of carpentry, despite its age

The original lenses manufactured in Paris in 1868 are still in use. The lens were shipped around Cape Horn in a sailing vessel. The candlepower of this light is now rated at 131,000, visible 19 miles at sea. The building housing the carpen­try shop was built in 1890, originally as a horse stable. The present crew’s quarters were built in 1925.



On the 31st of May 1966, Yaquina Head Light was automated. A system of alarms has been set up at the Coast Guard’s Yaquina Bay Station, assuring proper operation of the light at all times.


The database is protected by copyright ©essaydocs.org 2016
send message

    Main page