|AIDS IN AFRICA
Write on your own paper. You do not have to write the questions. Just write the answers. Due December 10.
Type in the following link - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/atlas/ - or click here. This will take you to PBS Frontline Maps on AIDS.
Click on HIV/AIDS in the World map and run your cursor around the map to explore and find the answers to the following questions (use the map key to assist you). (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/atlas/world.html)
Answer the following questions:
1. What are the two countries with the highest HIV populations and what is the highest estimate for each one?
a. Country Highest Estimate
b. Country Highest Estimate – I
2. Click on the County profile for Uganda. Answer the following questions:
a. Uganda is located in what “region” of Africa?
b. Today, Uganda is widely hailed as what? Explain why.
c. How did Museveni come to in 1986?
d. How did Museveni and his government quickly address this growing issue?
e. Explain the ABC Program-
3. Click on the County profile for South Africa. Answer the following question:
a. Explain how HIV/AIDS was addressed by Nelson Mandela when he took power. Why?
C. Look at the top of the map and click to the AIDS Deaths version of the map and answer the following questions (use the key to assist you)
4. How many people have died in the U.S. from AIDS?
5. How many have died in India?
6. How many have died in South Africa?
7. Which continent has the most countries with death tolls over 25,000?
D. Return to the main map page - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/atlas/ - and click on the map titled
The Money Trail - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/atlas/money.html - and answer the following questions
8. Which country receives the most HIV/AIDS funding? Approximately how much do they get?
9. Approximately how much money does South Africa get?
10. Approximately how much money does Democratic Republic of the Congo get?
11. Approximately how much money does Mozambique get?
12. Approximately how much money does Nigeria get?