The UH has more than 176 international projects in different modalities and an International Project Office that advises, facilitates, manages and supports the participation of the scientific community of the UH in international projects. A Cost Centre ensures economic and financial management of the resources, with a separate bank account.
Main South-South networks
Red iberoamericana Proteómica y quimiogenómica de inhibidores de proteasas de origen natural con potencial terapeútico en malaria.
Red universitaria de las Américas en estudios cooperativos y asociativismo (UniRcoop).
Desarrollo y manejo sustentable de sistemas de producción acuícola.
Red de Dirección Estratégica en la Educación Superior (RED-DEES).
Red Nacional de Biotecnologia Argentina- Cuba.
MESLATINCE.NET: Plataforma Web de recursos multimedia accesibles para la educación y la investigación y accesibilidad.
To ensure that international cooperation contributes directly and significantly, with concrete actions to the fulfilment of the mission of UH, to the vitality of substantive actions (teaching, research, postgraduate and university extension), to recover part of the basic institutional infrastructure and the development of the country.
8. Expressed needs, opportunities and modalities
8.1 Institutional Policy (Education, Research, Governance/policies, Service delivery or institutional support services, Infrastructure)
Improving institutional infrastructure, computer and laboratory equipment for teaching and research, UH presence in international research projects prioritized by the country in both social and natural sciences and exacts, ensure the use of information technologies and communications, ensure access to new technologies for research, ensure the development of closed cycle research to measure in practice the results and their application for the development of the country, raise funds for I+ D+I projects aimed at developing the country, restoration and conservation of the university heritage.
Strategic priorities that can be addressed through academic cooperation (with justification)
1. Food security, commercialization and regional development networks. 2. Development of medical and diagnostic equipment for health. 3. Research and production of new drugs and new materials. 4. Development of technologies in Materials Science and Nanotechnology. 5. Development of Biotechnology and Food. 6. Research in environment and ecology. 7. Research on economic studies. 8. Research on politics and society. 9. Research on history and culture. 10. Research in education and science. 11. Research on human health and welfare. 12. ICT and educational computing. These areas are included in national priorities and can be addressed trough academic cooperation. Highly qualified staffs with stable research teams ensure a proper execution of the projects, ensuring teamwork.
Strategic priorities that are linked with national priorities in Higher Education
1. Development of medical and diagnostic equipment for health. 2. Research and production of new drugs and new materials. 3. Development of technologies in Materials Science and Nanotechnology. 4. Development of Biotechnology and Food. 5. Research in environment and ecology. 6. Research on economic studies. 7. Research on politics and society. 8. Research on history and culture. 9. Research in education and science. 10. Research on human health and welfare. 11. ICT and educational computing.12. Food security, commercialization and regional development networks. These areas are included in the priority of the Ministry of Higher Education and are aimed at local development and improving the quality of human life, the country's development including economic studies, society and politics.
Strategic priorities that are linked with national priorities in development/ poverty reduction
1. Food security, commercialization and regional development networks.2. Food and nutrition. Assessment and control of food 3. Research on politics and society. 4. Studies on regional development, rural, municipal and community from the standpoint of economic, social, sociological, psychological and quality of life. Geographical Studies - Environmental rural areas.5. Research on population studies in relation to gender, family, children, elderly, domestic violence. 6. Urban community studies, social and community prevention, legal and institutional relationships. 7. Planning, management and tourism development. Environmental impact assessment in the areas of tourism development. 8. Protease inhibitors with biomedical and biotechnological applications 9. Marine aquaculture. Ecology and marine biodiversity. 10. Research focused on the care or prevention of social problems linked to poverty, evaluation of social equity component in development projects and social programs.
8.2 Thematic and disciplinary needs/interest
Disciplinary (theme) based strategic priorities
1. Health: Biotechnology, Design and Drugs Development, Medicinal Plants and Natural Products, Vaccines and Medical Equipment. 2. Society and Environment: Local Development, Global Warming, Environmental Pollution, Biodiversity, Environmental Education. 3. Complex systems, Bioinformatics, New Materials. 4. Biotechnology and Food: Vegetal Biotechnology, Development of Food Industry. Sustainable growth hormones, seaweed crop for larva production. 5. Economic, Accounting, and Financing Studies. 6. Humanity and Social Sciences: History of Cuba, Cuban Society, Culture and Education. 7. Information and Communications New Technologies. 8. Renewable Energy.
Disciplinary (theme) based strategic priorities in view of developmental change, opportunities and impact
Food, food sustainability, local development, plant biotechnology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, bioengineering, drugs and pharmacy, health and biomaterials for agriculture, nanotechnology, technologies and material sciences for health, agriculture and production of technological equipment, environmental studies, biodiversity and ecology, economic studies, financial accounting, chemistry, social sciences. The subjects expressed are based on the priorities of the UH and closely related to the development of the country, are change-oriented and designed to measure their impact on society. The UH has given to society highly qualified professional and has been contribute with the results of their research to the development of the country in all sectors
Appreciation of relative institutional and societal importance of expressed Flemish interest in cooperation with your institution
Collaboration with institutions in Flanders are in keeping with the strategic priorities of the university and contributed over the years to enhance the university processes and with tangible results and impact to the development of Cuban society and to improve their quality of life.
Appreciation of institutional importance/interest of expressed Flemish interest in cooperation with 'country'.
The collaboration with universities in Flanders has had a positive impact on the training of qualified staff, human resource training, including young women, in research related to tropical diseases, high-impact publications and improvement of institutional infrastructure. The training of human resources in Biostatistics is offered for the first time in Cuba with the participation of professionals in the health system and ensures the training of trainers in this field, which justifies the sustainability of this program.
Appeal factors for academic cooperation (Unique Selling Proposition) (co-funding etc.)
The Internationalisation Strategy of UH is to contribute trough international cooperation for the best performance of the strategic goals of the institution (in terms of development and resources). Good relations between our countries and institutions, the scientific level of the parties and the possibility of teamwork.
Opportunities for development relevant research and societal impact
The UH has an staff of excellence, 18 faculties and 15 research centres that contribute to national development and improved the quality of life. UH exhibits scientific leadership in Natural and Exact Sciences, Economic, Social, and Humanities areas. Since the Cuban Higher Education System is based on one - Curricula program for all academic undergraduate careers, and UH is the leading centre in the field of Natural and Exact Sciences for undergraduate and most graduate (master and PhD) programs. The UH cooperates with central state institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Sugar, Ministry of Armed Forces, Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Education, among others, as well as with many other institutions. Those interactions are expressed in actions such as courses, seminars, workshops, advisory, participation in important scientific research and cultural events, etc. A new technological park will contribute with high technology equipment to the development of university and country research and is an opportunity for development relevant research and societal impact, including a high quality service to the National Health System and others research centres and institutions of the country.
Generic needs of Higher Education that should be addressed at supra- and inter-institutional level
The improvement of the quality of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, research and, institutional strengthening in order to contribute to the development of the country.
Views on academic partnership (values, transparency etc.)
UH has a large experience in the context of international relations and cooperation. In all cases, honesty and transparency has featured the participation of teachers and researchers, including transparency in the use of allocated resources.
Network or multi stakeholder strategy and opportunities
One of the main characteristics of our research teams is the networking. Projects will ensure the timely establishment of multiple national and international networks in terms of the strategic directions of work.
9. Overall assessment with particular focus on IUC potential
Vision, leadership, governance and management capacity and stability