Absent Minded Professor (1988) TV Henry Crawford is the titular absent-minded professor busy at work in his laboratory. He has a girlfriend...
(2) * Absolute Power (1996)Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris Dir: Clint Eastwood Based on the novel by David Baldacci, Absolute Power is about the ruthlessness of people in power. The President believes that everything he does is beyond reproach, including an affair or two. That leads to murder and everyone around him is involved. There is only one witness, a thief named Luther Whitney. They are sure he'll talk, but when? The Secret Service is determined to keep him quiet, but catching a thief isn't always easy. (plot/ story line)
* Abyss (1989) . (w/ Antwone Fisher (2002) PG-13 A civilian diving team are enlisted to search for a lost nuclear submarine and face danger while encountering an alien aquatic species (horror)
Ace Ventura, Pet Detective (1994) Jim CarreyTo be a Pet Detective, you have to understand both the criminals and animals. Ace Ventura goes even further... He behaves like a criminal animal. When a football team's mascot (a dolphin) is stolen just before the Superbowl, Ace Ventura is put on the case. Now, who would want to steal a dolphin, and why?
Ace Ventura, When Nature Calls (1995) Jim CarreyAce Ventura, emerging from self-imposed exile in a remote Himalayan hideaway, travels to Africa with explorer Fulton Greenwall to find a sacred bat which is told will avert a war between with Wachootoo and Wachati tribes. Of course, when Ace gets involved, all hell breaks loose...
@ Acting in Film Michael Caine from TV program. (w/ Ugly American?)
Adams Rib (1949) aw Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn; When a woman attempts to kill her uncaring husband, prosecutor Adam Bonner gets the case. Unfortunately for him his wife Amanda (who happens to be a lawyer too) decides to defend the woman in court. Amanda uses everything she can to win the case and Adam gets mad about it. As a result, their perfect marriage is disturbed by everyday quarrels...
Adaptation (2002) Meryl Streep, Nicholas Cage A lovelorn screenwriter turns to his less talented twin brother for help when his efforts to adapt a non-fiction book go nowhere.
* Addicted to Love (1997) Matthew Broderick, Meg Ryan Maggie's and Sam's former partners are in love; she wants revenge and he wants his lost love back, so they work together to break up the happy couple. (decade)
(2) @ African Queen (1951) (w/ Dave ’93 AW,106m, Humphrey Bogart, Katherine Hepburn, dir: John Huston) At the start of World War 1, Charlie Allnut is using his old steamer, The African Queen, to ferry supplies to villages in East Africa. When the Rev. Samual Sayer dies, Charlie agrees to take Sayers' sister, Rose, back to civilization. taking on the Germans at the same time. (actor – Hepburn)
@ Africa Screams(1949) (w/ At War with Army) 80m, Abbott & Costello When bookseller Buzz cons Diana into thinking fellow bookseller Stanley knows a great deal about Africa they are abducted and ordered to lead Diana and her henchmen to an African tribe. After encounters with lion tamers, giant apes and a wild river, Buzz returns to America. Stanley finds diamonds and buys the store they once worked for, hiring Buzz as its elevator operator. (40’s)
Agnes of God (1985) aw3 Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft, Meg Tilly At a convent, fragile, unearthly Sister Agnes gives birth (she says it's a virgin birth), but the child dies. The police soon are involved because of the death of the baby. However, the main conflict is between Mother Superior Miriam Ruth, who wants Agnes left alone, and Dr. Martha Livingston, a psychiatrist determined to help Agnes gain a stronger grasp on reality and uncover any wrongdoers.
@ Agony and the Ecstasy (1965) Charlton Heston, Rex Harrison The biographical story of Michelangelo's troubles while painting the Sistine Chapel at the urging of Pope Julius II. (biography genre)
Air America (1990) R Mel Gibson, Robert Downey Jr. Air America was the CIA's private airline operating in Laos during the Vietnam War, running anything and everything from soldiers to foodstuffs for local villagers. After losing his pilot's license, Billy Covington is recruited into it, and ends up in the middle of a bunch of lunatic pilots, gun-running by his friend Gene Ryack, and opium smuggling by his own superiors.
Air Bud (1997)DVD PG A young boy and a talented stray dog with an amazing basketball playing ability become instant friends. Rebounding from his father's accidental death, 12-year-old Josh Framm moves with his family to the small town of Fernfield, Washington. The new kid in town, Josh has no friends and is too shy to try out for the school basketball team. Instead he prefers tp practice alone on an abandoned court, he befriends a runaway golden retriever named Buddy. Josh is amazed when he realizes that Buddy loves basketball...that is playing basketball...and he is GOOD! Josh eventually makes the school team and Buddy is named the Team Mascot. Josh and Buddy become the stars of halftime. Buddy's half-time talent draws media attention. Unfortunately, when Buddy's mean former owner, Norm Snively, comes along with a scheme to cash in on the pup's celebrity, it looks like they are going to be separated. (genre – sports)
Air Force One (1997) (w/ Barefoot in the Park)(2) aw1 Harrison Ford The President of the United States is on a journey home after making a speech in Moscow. But on the journey, Russian hi-jakers take over the plane, disguising themselves as newspaper reporters. They want the President to ring Moscow and release General Redek. But they think that the President has escaped in the pod. But the president is really still on board air force One attempting to regain control of the plane and to rescue his wife and daughter.
@ Airplane (80) Dean Martin, Spoof of airport This is a spoof of the airport disaster movies. When the crew of an airplane are struck by some form of virus, the fate of the passengers depends on an ex-war pilot who is the only one able to land the plane safely! The passengers represent a selection of interesting wacky characters who seem to take every word for its literal meaning. (decade)
Airplane 2: the Sequal (1982) The hero of an unlikely airplane disaster must overcome his own inadequacies, improbable accidents and his former girlfriend in order to save a space shuttle from destruction in this spoof sequel of the disaster parody Airplane!
@ Airport (1970) 137m, AW, Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, Jean Seberg, Jacqueline Basset, George Kennedy, Helen Hayes Van Heylin Mel Bakersfeld is the hard-charging manager of Lincoln International Airport, trying to keep his airport open despite a raging Midwestern snowstorm and an angry wife. Meanwhile, his antagonistic brother-in-law, Vernon Demerest, may have his plans for a placid layover in Italy disturbed by unexpected news from Gwen Meighen, and by the plans of the D.O. Guerrero, the loose cannon on board. (70’s)
The Air Up There (1994) Kevin Bacon Jimmy Dolan is a college basketball coach who wants a big promotion. To get it, he needs to make a dramatic find. He ends up deep in Africa, hoping to recruit Saleh, a huge basketball prodigy Jimmy glimpsed in a home movie. But Saleh is the chief's son and has responsibilities at home, since the tribe's land is threatened by a mining company with its own hotshot basketball team. (?sports genre spoofs?)
Aladdin (1992) G Aladdin is a street-urchin who lives in a large and busy town long ago with his faithful monkey friend Abu. When Princess Jasmine gets tired of being forced to remain in the palace that overlooks the city, she sneaks out to the marketplace, where she accidentally meets Aladdin. Under the orders of the evil Jafar (the sultan's advisor), Aladdin is thrown in jail and becomes caught up in Jafar's plot to rule the land with the aid of a mysterious lamp. Legend has it that only a person who is a "diamond in the rough" can retrieve the lamp from the Cave of Wonders. Aladdin might fight that description, but that's not enough to marry the princess, who must (by law) marry a prince.
Aladdin – King of Thieves (1995) G At long last, Aladdin is about to marry the Princess Jasmine. Despite the presence and encouragement of his friends Genie, Carpet, and Abu, he is fearful and anxious. He is most worried as to what kind of father he will be, having never known his own. But when the 40 Thieves disrupt the wedding trying to steal a magical oracular talisman, Aladdin is drawn into a dangerous quest to stop the thieves...and find his long-lost father.
@ Alamo (1960), John Wayne .....copy of last half of movie In 1836 General Santa Anna and the Mexican army is sweeping across Texas. To be able to stop him, General Sam Huston needs time to get his main force into shape. To buy that time he orders Colonel William Travis to defend a small mission on the Mexicans' route at all costs. Travis' small troop is swelled by groups accompanying Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett, but as the situation becomes ever more desperate Travis makes it clear there will be no shame if they leave while they can. (actor)
The Alamo (2004) Dennis Quaid, Based on the 1836 standoff between a group of Texan and Tejano men, led by Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie, and Mexican dictator Santa Anna's forces at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas.
@ Ali (2001) DVD Wil Smith, John Voight Jamie Fox A biography of sports legend, Muhammad Ali, from his early days to his days in the ring (biography)
Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore (1974) AW Ellen Bursty, Dir Martin Scorsese When Alice's husband dies, she has no money but must support her 11 year old son. She decides she wants to move to Monterey, California to be a singer. They start from New Mexico and begin traveling towards Monterey, Calif. and along the way gets a job as a singer, then as a waitress in Phoenix. In Phoenix, while working as a waitress, she meets a generous man, Kris Kristopherson ...
* Alien DVD Pack (1979) AW, aw r Tom Skerritt, Sigourney Weaver When a mining ship lands on a planet to investigate upon a suspected SOS, the entire crew are unaware of the terror which they would unleash upon their ship. When a alien life-form attach's itself to the face of a crew member, the rest of the team act fast to try and separate the two organisms. Unbeknownst to everyone, this is the start of the terror which would affect every member of the seven person crew. (visual elements)
* Aliens (1986) DVD R The only survivor of the Nostromo, Ripley is discovered in deep sleep half a century later by a salvage ship. When she is taken back to Earth, she learns that a human colony was founded on the same planet where the aliens were first found. After contact with the colony is lost, she finds herself sent back to the planet along with a team of warriors bent on destroying the alien menace forever, and saving any survivors -- if any remain. (Horror)
* All about Eve (1950) AW, AW, AW Aspiring actress Eve Harrington maneuvers her way into the lives of Broadway star Margo Channing, playwright Lloyd Richards and director Bill Sampson. This classic story of ambition and betrayal has become part of American folklore. Bette Davis claims to have based her character on the persona of film actress Talullah Bankhead. Davis' line "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night" is legendary, but, in fact, all of the film's dialog sparkles with equal brilliance. (50's)
(3) @ All the President Men (1976) 138m, AW PG/R DVD/2VHS Dustin Hoffmann, Robert Redford, Hal Holbreck, Jason Robards In the run-up to the 1972 elections, Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward covers what seems to be a minor break-in at the Democratic Party National headquarters. He is surprised to find top lawyers already on the defense case, and the discovery of names and addresses of Republican fund organizers on the accused further arouses his suspicions. The editor of the Post is prepared to run with the story and assigns Woodward and Carl Bernstein to it. They find the trail leading higher and higher in the Republican Party, and eventually into the White House itself. (70’s)
@ All The Right Stuff (1983) Sam Shepherd, Ed Harris, Scott Glen, Dennis Quaid 43:45 Ike/LBJ deciding who goes into space (80’s)
All the Right Moves (1983) R Tom Cruise Sensitive study of a headstrong high school football star who dreams of getting out of his small Western Pennsylvania steel town with a football scholarship. His equally ambitious coach aims at a college position, resulting in a clash which could crush the player's dreams (genre – sports)
@ All That Jazz (1979) R 123m, Roy Schneider DVD Director/choreographer Bob Fosse tells his own life story as he details the sordid life of Joe Gideon (Roy Scheider), a womanizing, drug-using dancer. (visual elements)
Amadeus(84) #53/100 Aw, Aw, Aw PG/R The incredible story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, told in flashback mode by Antonio Salieri - now confined to an insane asylum. Used in it’s entirety in Music appreciation, don’t bother with in film
Amahl & Night Visitors (1978) Opera 3 wise men spend the night on the way to the Christ Child with a lame child and his mother who are starving. :40:10 She goes for gold, caught, Amahl offers cane, walks (weak copy)
Ambush Bay ( 1966 ) (w/ Tightrope) Hugh O’Brian, Mickey Rooney James Mitchem A Marine unit on a Japanese-held island in the Philippines tries to hook up with local Filipino guerrillas.
American Beauty (1999) R Kevin Spacey AW, AW, AW A man tells his tale of how he turned his miserable life around and turned everyone else's upside down as a result.
American Clock ( 1993) Darren McGavinThis film is based on Arthur Miller's recollection of the events of the 1930's Depression. In the film, John Rubinstein, Mary McDonnell, and Loren Dean are all members of an upper class family who find the world completely changed when they lose everything in the Stock Market crashes. Dean, a college age young man, who now faces no possibility of entering college, decides to go on the road to see what is happening to the rest of the country.
@ American Graffiti (1973) PG 110m, Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Harrison Ford Two boys are scheduled to leave for college in the morning. Each has his own doubts. They spend a final evening cruising the strip and have every adventure possible before dawn when they will each have to decide what they will do. (idea @ theme – coming of age)
* American in Paris(1951) 113m, AW, Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron Jerry Mulligan, a struggling American painter in Paris, is "discovered" by an influential heiress with an interest in more than Jerry's art. Jerry in turn falls for Lise, a young French girl already engaged to a cabaret singer. Jerry jokes, sings and dances with his best friend, an acerbic would-be concert pianist, while romantic complications abound. (genre)
* The American President (1995) Michael Douglas Comedy-drama about a widowed US president and a lobbyist who fall in love. It's all aboveboard, but "politics is perception" and sparks fly anyway. (decade)
(2) @ Amistad, (1997) Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman Fact-based story of the 1839 revolt by Africans on the slave ship Amistad and their subsequent trial when they are taken on American soil. (director)
Amos and Andrew (1993) Samuel L Jackson, Nicholas Cage When Andrew Sterling, a successful black urbanite writer buys a vacation home on a resort in New England the police mistake him for a burglar
Angels, Hard as They Come (2003) DVD A drug deal is foiled, when the cops show up. They agree to meet in a few days out in the desert and complete the deal. The Angels head for the meeting place. On the way they meet up with the Dragons and are invited to come party with some hippies in an old ghost town. The General, leader of the Dragons is a psychotic dwarf and his henchman Axe isn't to stable either. The trouble start when one of the hippie girls is murdered and the Dragons decide that one of the Angels did it.
Angels in the Outfield (1951) Paul Douglas, Janet Leigh, Keenan Wynn, A young woman reporter blames the Pittsburgh Pirates' losing streak on the obscenely abusive manager. While she attempts to learn more about him for her column, he begins hearing the voice of an angel promising him help for the team if he will mend his ways. As he does so, an orphan girl who is a Pirates fan and has been praying for the team begins noticing angels on the ballfield. Sure enough, the Pirates start winning, and McGovern tries to turn his life around. But can he keep his temper long enough for the Pirates to win the NL pennant?
Angels in the Outfield (1994) (w/ While You Were Sleeping) Danny Glover Roger who has lost his mother is living separated from his father. As he and his friend J.P. are one of the biggest fans of the Los Angeles baseball team he has got only two dreams: Living together with a real family and let LA win the championship. As he is praying for these two things to happen some angels show up in order to help him - but he is the only one to see them and believe in them. Fortunately the coach of the baseball team sees his abilities and so LA has a run to the finals...
Anna Karenina (1997) PG13 Jacqueline Bisset, Christopher Reeve Anna is a young and elegant wife of Mr. Karenin, who is wealthy and old. She goes on a trip to St. Petersburg. There she meets the handsome Count Vronsky. Anna and Vronsky fall in love with each other. They are very happy together and make a great looking couple, but soon their happiness gets under social pressures. Anna is hopelessly begging Mr. Karenin for a divorce, but he wants to keep the mother of their child. She has another baby born from her lover Vronsky. Conflict between her untamed desires and painful reality causes her a depression and suicidal thoughts. Anna loses interest in such a life and jumps under a train.
Animal Farm (1954) Cartoon Britain's first animated feature, which, despite the title and Disney-esque animal animation, is in fact a no-holds-barred adaptation of George Orwell's classic satire on Stalinism, with the animals taking over their farm by means of a revolutionary coup, but then discovering that although all animals are supposed to be equal, some are more equal than others...
@ Annie (1982)(w/ National Lampoons Animal House) Dir: John Houston, Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters, Albert Finney, In the depths of the 1930's, Annie is a fiery young orphan girl who must live in a miserable orphanage run by the tyrannical Miss Hannigan. Her seemingly hopeless situation changes dramatically when she is selected to spend a short time at the residence of the wealthy munitions industrialist, Oliver Warbucks. Quickly, she charms the hearts of the household staff and even the seemingly cold-hearted Warbucks cannot help but learn to love this wonderful girl. He decides to help Annie find her long lost parents by offering a reward if they would come to him and prove their identity. However, Miss Hannigan, her evil brother, Rooster, and a female accomplice, plan to impersonate those people to get the reward for themselves which put Annie in great danger. (Story Elements, elements of truth)
* Annie Hall (1977) PG Diane Keaton AW, AW Woody Allen (also direct AW) “nervous romance”, Romantic adventures of neurotic New York comedian Alvy Singer and his equally neurotic girlfriend Annie Hall. The film traces the course of their relationship from their first meeting, and serves as an interesting historical document about love in the 1970s. (decade)
Antwone Fisher (2002) Derek Luke, Denzel Washington, Joy Bryant, Salli Richardson, Leonard Howze, Kente Scott, Kevin Connolly, Rainoldo Gooding, Novella Nelso, Malcolm David Kelley, Cory Hodges, Stephen Snedden. Actor Denzel Washington makes a powerfully confident directorial debut in this biopic about a good young sailor in the navy (Luke in a truly stunning acting debut of award caliber excellence) – the eponymous film subject – whose past demons have nestled into nothing but troubles for him and with the assist of the outfit's psychiatrist (portrayed evenly by Washington) Fisher is able to gain a foothold on his present and more importantly, his future. Heartbreakingly poignant and all too knowing in its depiction of the triumph of the human spirit ; at the same time non-condescending nor preachy; the film unfolds like all good storytelling: naturally and effortlessly. Bryant also gives a remarkable debut turn as the young woman who sees Fisher for the man he is and nothing less. The real Fisher was a security guard @ Sony Pictures prompting Washington to make the movie and coincidentally Luke worked in the gift shop, an amateur actor in the making, who knew Fisher and the rest is history. One of the best films of the year.