|JOHN EMMET LUCAS, a skilled and experienced workman, and the senior member of the planing mill and contracting firm of Lucas & Saly, of Johnstown, is a son of John T. and Sarah (Berry) Lucas, and was born in Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, June 22, 1851. His paternal great-grandfather, Sergeant George Lucas, was a native of Ireland, who came to this country and served through the Revolutionary war in the American army, being promoted to orderly sergeant just before the siege of Yorktown. He died in Johnstown when nearly a hundred years of age. His son, David Lucas, was a native of Bedford county, and in the '30s came to Johnstown, where he abandoned his trade of butcher to serve for many years as constable and as a section boss on the canal. He was a Methodist, and died the day before the presidential election of 1876, when in the eighty-ninth year of his age. His son, John T. Lucas, was of Bedford county nativity, who came in early life to Johnstown, which he left in the spring of 1852, and went, on account of ill-health, to Sacramento, California, where he died in the fall of 1852, at the early age of thirty-four years. He ran a boat and was a contractor on the old canal. He was a member of the Methodist church, and married Sarah Berry, a member of the same church, and who is now, 1896, in the seventieth year of her age, and a resident of Johnstown. Her father, John Berry, was of Pennsylvania German descent, and a native of Centre county, and after serving as a fifer boy in the War of 1812, went to Duncansville, Blair county, where he carried on a wagonmaking-shop until his death, in 1866, at eighty years of age.
John Emmet Lucas was reared principally in Johnstown, and at Hollidaysburg, in Blair county, and is a natural mathematician, but only received a limited education on account of having to go to work at nine years of age. He worked at first in the oil house, then in the brickyard of the Cambria Iron works, at twenty-five cents per day, then drove in coal mines, etc., and at fifteen years of age became a driver in their carpenter shop, where, two years later, he was made foreman of the carpenters putting up building material, which position he held for two years. After this he was successfully engaged in putting up derricks in the Pennsylvania oil regions, worked on the Canton, Ohio, court house, served as foreman of one of the Cambria Iron company's gangs of house-building carpenters and worked at carpentering and stair-building in Indianapolis, Indiana, and Peoria, Illinois. He then returned to Johnstown, worked in the Cambria Iron company's car department, traveled through the South and West doing carpenter and stair work, and in 1879 formed a partnership with W. H. Smith, in Johnstown, in general contracting and stair-building. This partnership was of four years' duration, when he sold out his interest to Mr. Smith and spent a year in Colorado. He then started a stair shop in Johnstown, did draughting for J. J. Strayer for three years, and then was a foreman for S. J. Little, in Pittsburg, who was a manufacturer of office and bank fixtures until the Great Flood of 1889. In that year he returned to Johnstown as general superintendent of estimating work for J. J. Strayer, which position he resigned in June, 1894, to form his present partnership with Henry Saly in the planing mill and general contracting business.
On May 18, 1872, Mr. Lucas married Minerva Cover, who was a daughter of Daniel Cover, of Johnstown, and who died March, 1882, aged twenty-eight years, leaving four children: Emma K., Edith B., Nellie J. and Emmet W. Three years later, in 1885, Mr. Lucas wedded for his second wife, Mary Deane, daughter of Amos Deane, of Sandy Lake Park, Mercer county. By his second marriage he has no children.
In politics Mr. Lucas is an independent voter. His life has been one of varied business activities, and his services are always in demand where skilled labor and intelligent management in his line of work are needed.
1869 Johnstown City Directory
Cover Daniel, carpenter, 341 Locust street.
Cover William, carpenter, 320 Main street.
6 Dec 1892
COVER - In Johnstown, Third Ward, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Jacob M. Fockier, on Tuesday, December 6, 1892, at 11 o'clock A.M., of paralysis, Mrs. Elizabeth Cover, aged 72 years and 10 months.
Henry Wilson Storey's History of Cambria County, V.III, p.366
WATSON HORNER, of Johnstown, is a son of Jacob Horner, the founder of Hornerstown, a place which is now included in the Seventh ward of Johnstown, and was born January 19, 1844, on the homestead, which was situated near the spot where now stands Emmerling's bottling works, on Baumer street. His grandfather, also Jacob Horner, is supposed to have been a native of Franklin county, Pennsylvania.
Jacob Horner, father of Watson Horner, was born November 10, 1803, in Cambria county-, received a common school education, and worked on the canal as boss of repair gang, owning two boats. He also at one time worked on the old Portage railroad. When the canal was abandoned he retired to his farm and also engaged in burning lime. As the growth of the town increased he laid out his land in lots, which he sold advantageously. He filled the offices of poor director and councilman and in politics was a lifelong Democrat.
Jacob Horner married, September 14, 1828, his cousin, Catharine, born October 30, 1810, daughter of Squire Christian Horner of Geistown, Cambria county, and later of Somerset county. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Horner consisted of the following children: Jonathan J., deceased, born November 3, 1828, married Lucinda Cover. Aaron, born February 20, 1830, died unmarried in 1853. Simon, born November 24, 1832, married Mary Horner, served in Civil war and died September, 1862, while at home on sick leave. Jacob, born July 26, 1835, retired, married Mary Shaffer, of Somerset County. Mary, born May 20, 1837, married Oscar Graffe; both died in Johnstown. Nancy, born May 4, 1839, married James Crosby, and died in Braddock. Pennsylvania. Edwin, born July 12, 1841, of Martinsburg, West Virginia, married Mrs. Matilda Karns. Watson, born January 19, 1844, of whom later. Allison, born October 23, 1847, of Johnstown, married (first) Anna Clark, (second) Rebecca Clark. Jacob Horner, the father, died December 29, 1874, and his widow September 23, 1894.
Watson Horner, son of Jacob and Catharine (Horner) Horner, attended the public schools of Johnstown until his fourteenth year, receiving at the same time, on the homestead, the training necessary to fit him for the life of a farmer. He also assisted in the care of Sandyville cemetery, which was situated on a portion of the homestead lands. He was for a time employed in the mills of the Cambria Iron Company. During 1862-3 he was employed by the government as a teamster throughout Virginia and Maryland, accompanying the army on these campaigns.
In 1866 he visited Iowa, Missouri and Kansas, working sometimes as a farm-hand and sometimes on shares. In 1875 he returned home and for twenty-two years took charge of the cemetery. Since resigning his position he has devoted his entire time to the care of his property. He is a representative of the best element in the Democratic party. His wife is a member of the Christian church.
Mr. Horner married. April 23, 1872, at Enterprise, Missouri, Emma Burkholder, and the following are their children: 1. Jacob L., born July 11, 1873, in Sullivan county, Missouri, educated in Johnstown public schools, graduating from high school, became an apprentice in the Gautier machine shop, remaining until 1904, after which he was for a short time connected with the Franklin plant, leaving there to work for the Haws Brick Works Company. He married, April 18, 1895, Effie, daughter of Harvey and Sarah (Crouch) Williams, of Johnstown, and their children were Ruth, Harvey, Clyde and Emeline. Jacob L. Homer died in Johnstown, October 10, 1906. 2. Emma B., born December 3, 1874, died December 24, 1874. 3. William A., born November 26, 1875, educated in Johnstown public schools and Bennet & Greer's Commercial College, now employed by Cambria Steel Company. He married Catharine Landis, and has one child, John L. 4. Watson C., born August 12, 1877, educated in public schools, graduated from high school, now bookkeeper in office of the Democrat. He married Dora Symonds, and has three children: Dora May, Emma Louise and Elmira. 5. Chester K., born December 21, 1881, attended public schools, two years at high school, now employed by the Cambria Steel Company. 6. Fraser E., born March 21, 1888, educated in public schools, now employed in Cambria Steel Works. 7. Robert B., born June 12, 1896.
Mrs. Horner is a daughter of William Burkholder, a native of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, who, when a boy, was taken by his widowed mother to Michigan, and on reaching manhood went to Canada, where he lived many years. His next removal was to Missouri, where he became a farmer and stock-raiser. While in Canada he married Barbara Gochneau, who was born near Paris, France, of French and German parentage, and while still a young child was taken to Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Burkholder were the parents of a daughter, Emma, who was born March 31, 1854, in Zurich, Huron county, Canada, and was fifteen years old when the family moved to Missouri, where she became the wife of Watson Horner.
Henry Wilson Storey's History of Cambria County, V.III, p.414
CASELTON A. PRINXGLE. Among the many families of early settlers who were ever ready, at a moment's notice, to lay down their lives in defence of the country of their adoption, we must not forget the name of Pringle, the name of a member of which family heads this sketch. They emigrated from Scotland to this country, and Caselton A. Pringle, a well known contractor and dealer in lumber in Summer Hill, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, is a worthy representative of the family.
Philip Pringle, great-grandfather of Caselton A. Pringle, was a native of Scotland. His father emigrated to America with his family and settled in Pennsylvania, probably in Lancaster county. His occupation was that of farming. Philip Pringle migrated to Cambria county, Pennsylvania, being one of the first settlers in that county. He settled on Pringle Hill, and pursued the occupation of farming. He was a member of the United Brethren church, and in politics a Whig. He raised a numerous family of children.
Martin Pringle, son of Philip Pringle, was born on Pringle Hill, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, in 1800. He acquired a farm in Summer Hill township, near Wilmore, and was occupied with its cultivation all his life. He was a member of the United Brethren church, and was first a Whig and later a Republican. His death occurred in 1876. He married (first) Elizabeth Walters, and their children were: 1. Mary, married Henry Shaffer and had three children, Minerva, Anna and Ella. 2. Joseph W., of whom later. 3. Samuel, married Suzan Bonewell and had children: Ella, Charles and Catherine. 4. Philip W., married May Luke and had children: Sarah, Joseph, Philip, and six who died in childhood. Philip W. was drafted July 14, 1863. He was attached to Company E, One Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Volunteers, served over two years or until the close of the rebellion. He was engaged in many hard and fierce battles, his comrades falling all around, while his life was spared, the blood of his fallen comrades bespattering his clothes. He was brave and fearless, trusting in God at all times. His regiment belonged to the Sixth Army Corps, which broke the rebel lines near Petersburgh, and he was in the battle when General Lee surrendered. The hardships and privations he had to endure while in the service of his country, fighting for the cause of freedom and the sacred rights we now enjoy, undermined his health to such an extent that his death occurred August 5, 1878. 5. Henry H., married Catherine Westervelt and had children; Cecelia, Walter and Roy. 6. David M., married Nancy Matesson and had children: Sennet, Adolphus and Delia, two of whom are deceased. David M. enlisted in Company H. One Hundred and Seventy-eighth Regiment, Ohio Infantry Volunteers, September 17, 1864, and was honorably discharged June 29, 1S65. He was in no active engagements or battles; a portion of the time he was a victim to disease, from which he suffered terribly, so much so that he never fully recovered, and beyond a doubt it shortened his life by many years, although he lived to enjoy twenty-one years of peace. He also enlisted as a soldier of Jesus Christ, when but a youth, and faithfully defended his Master's cause until his death, August 24, 1886. 7. Emanuel. 8. Abraham, married Barbara Sharp and had children: Howard, Mary, Arthur, Retta, John, Irwin and Benjamin. 9. Susan, married Nathan Weaver and had children: Harry, Minnie, Charles and Gertrude. 10. Sarah, deceased. 11. Elizabeth, married B. F. Cover and had children: Benjamin, Sarah and John. 12. Martin P. enlisted August 16, 1861, in Company G, Twelfth United States Infantry, and was in the following engagements: Gaines Hill, Malvern Hill, Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and many other engagements. He was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness, May 5, 1864, and died May 20, 1864. His wound was caused by a minie ball which passed through both of his lungs and was taken out near the small of his back.
Joseph W. Pringle, second child and eldest son of Martin and Elizabeth (Walters) Pringle, was born in Summer Hill township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, June 15, 1828. He was rocked in a sugar trough, in which he slept as sweetly as the children in the more modern cribs. At that time the bears, wolves and panthers were plenty in the section of their home. Their diet was of the simplest, consisting of buckwheat cakes for breakfast, pone for dinner and mush and milk for supper, with tea out of their own gardens, sassafras, spicewood and very seldom coffee. The schoolhouse which he attended was built of logs, not hewn, a clapboard roof and the seats were slabs off sawlogs. All the branches taught there were reading, writing and arithmetic, and the term was two months each year. This was a subscription school, there being no free schools then, and many children had to walk three or four miles to school. The spelling book was called the United States and the text book was the Bible. The teacher received fifty cents per scholar, and was boarded free in the homes of the scholars. Their wearing apparel consisted of moccasins and goods of their own weaving. There were at that time no railroads or telegraph lines, in fact none of the conveniences which we now enjoy. Mr. Pringle owned a farm, on which he cleared the timber, raised abundant crops and resided thereon from the time he was married until his death, a period of forty-nine years. He kept a diary for thirty-two consecutive years, the thirty-two diaries being now in the possession of his son, Caselton A. Pringle, in which he recorded the temperature and conditions of the weather and all the events of each day. He was a farmer and lumberman in Croyle township, Pennsylvania. He enlisted in 1864, in Company D, Two Hundred and Fourth Heavy Artillery, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was engaged in the defense of Washington, District of Columbia, and was captured by Mosby's guerrillas. He made his escape the following day and returned to his regiment. He was honorably discharged, July 6, 1865. After his discharge he returned to his farm, resumed his occupation there, and combined with it that of lumbering. Here he led a peaceful life until his death, which occurred February 28, 1900. He was a man of considerable influence and prominence in his town. He affiliated with the Democratic party, and held a number of public offices -- justice of the peace in Croyle township; school director for several terms; and auditor of the township. He was also prominently identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, being a member of D. T. Stineman Post, No. 560, of South Fork, Pennsylvania, and filled several offices in that organization very acceptably. He was a member of the United Brethren church, joining in 1841. He was a great student of the Bible as well as secular works. He kept in touch with the current events, and was a lover of nature, especially flowers. He was kind, jovial and generous. He married Lucinda Ake, daughter of Joseph Ake, of Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and they had nine children: 1. Caselton A., of whom later. 2. Breston C., born 1854, died in childhood. 3. Delia C., born 1851, married A. J. Arnold and have five children: Beatrice, Henrietta, Josephine, Gertrude, and Walter. 4. Henrietta, born 1859, married George Wian and had children: Vyerl, who died in childhood, and George P. 5. Winfield S., born 1861, married (first) May Willey and had one child, Mary; married (second) Nellie Neff. 6. Sarah E., born 1869, married Harry L. Wilson and had children; Benner, Kenneth and Esther. 7. Jessie, born 1869, died at the age of two years. 8. Beatrice H., born 1870. 9. A child that died in infancy.
Caselton A. Pringle, child of Joseph W. and Lucinda (Ake) Pringle, was born in Summer Hill, Croyle township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, July 5, 1852. His education was obtained in the common schools of the district, and his early years were passed on the farm. He remained thus employed until he was twenty-five years of age, and found employment with Marshel & Weakland for the next seven years. He then associated himself in a business partnership with J. T. Long, in the lumber business, and this continued for five years. At the expiration of this period he disposed of his interest, and rented and personally conducted the "Lake Hotel" at South Fork, Cambria county. Pennsylvania. Later he removed to Altoona, and thence to Summer Hill, where he again engaged in the business of farming and lumbering. He is now extensively engaged in contracting in connection with good roads. He built the first piece of good, modern road in Cambria county. His political affiliations are Democratic, and he has been a burgess of Summer Hill. He is a member of the United Brethren church.
He married, May, 1892, Alice M. Bunton, of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, daughter of L. T. and Hannah (Heeley) Bunton, of Pittsburg.
JOHN HIGSON, of Johnstown, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, now almost eighty years old, is a remarkable specimen of splendid physical manhood and a man of high moral character. Notwithstanding his advanced age and the fact that the free use of one arm is partly lost, the result of a bullet wound in the left shoulder at Antietam, during the Civil war, he goes to the shops, every day and does a man's work.
Mr. Higson was born in the city of Paterson, New Jersey, on the 24th day of June, 1828, and comes of English and Scotch ancestor. His father, Benjamin Higson, was a native of Bolton, Lancashire, England, and his mother, whose name before marriage was Margaret Lyon, was a daughter of James Lyon, a Scotchman by birth, and by occupation master of a Presbyterian school, at Bolton, England. James Lyon married Catherine Liptrot.
Benjamin Higson and his young wife left England and came to America about the year 1825. He was a cotton spinner by trade, and for a time worked in Paterson, and afterward removed to Philadelphia, where he came to an accidental death. Out of working hours his favorite amusement was music, and he found rest and recreation in rowing out on the Delaware river in the quiet of evening and drifting about with the current while he played his flute. One night his light boat was in some manner caught between a large vessel and the dock at Red Bank, and he was crushed to death. This happened in 1832, and soon afterward his widow and her small children returned to England. Three children were born to Benjamin and Margaret Higson: James, who spent his life in England, and was engaged in the cotton trade; John, of Johnstown, who came back to America in 1857, and is the oldest representative of the family in the country; and Catherine, who also spent her life in England.
As has been mentioned, John Higson was born in Paterson, New Jersey, and was six years old when his widowed mother returned with her children to her old home in England. He was sent to school, but was quite young when he began work in the cotton mills. Later he entered the rolling mill, or "forges," as they were sometimes called, and kept at work there until he was forehanded enough to again make the voyage to America. He returned in 1857 and settled first in Philadelphia, his father's old home, and there found work in the Fairmount Rolling Mill. However, during the next three years he visited and worked in various other cities, first in Columbus, Ohio, then in Cleveland in the same state, and afterward in Elmira, New York.
He was working in Elmira at the outbreak of the late Civil war, and from there he entered the service. On June 11, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Thirty-fifth New York Volunteer Infantry, and served with that regiment until March 24, 1863, when he was mustered out. In November, 1861, he had been made color bearer, which position he prized greatly and which he retained throughout the entire period of his service. He was with the Thirty-fifth in all its movements and engagements, including the Second Bull Run, Slaughter Mountain, South mountain and other. At Antietam he received a severe wound in the left shoulder, and was sent to the Army Hospital at Washington, D. C., and later to Philadelphia, where he was finally mustered out and discharged. The wound he received at Antietam resulted in a permanent disability and cost Mr. Higson practically the use of his left arm. However, after the war he went back to Elmira and again worked in the rolling mill, performing such service as could be done with one arm. After a time he qualified as heater, and has since made that his occupation in life, but only for a short time in Elmira. In 1864 he married, and from that time until he settled permanently in Johnstown he lived and worked in Elmira, New York, Lochiel and Altoona, Pennsylvania, Baltimore, Maryland, Chattanooga, Tennessee, and Cumberland, Maryland. From the city last mentioned he came to Johnstown, and worked first in the rail mill of the Cambria Iron Company, afterward in several other departments of the company's vast plant until he became permanently employed as heater in the Gautier department.
When young John Higson, at the age of twenty-nine years came back to this country from England it was with the determination to afterward live in the United States and enjoy all the rights of citizenship. His mother had taken him back to England when he was a little boy, and bad educated him there, hence in 1857, when he crossed the Atlantic for the last time, he knew little of American institutions and politics; but he always had been an apt student and acquired knowledge from observation of and intercourse with men, which was worth as much to him as the education derived in the school room. As a matter of fact, John Higson began early to think and act for himself, but that which most perplexed him on coming back to the country was to determine and choose between the great political parties. Then as now the great parties were the Democratic and Republican, although the widespread agitation of the slavery question caused men to be classed either as Pro-Slavery advocates or as Abolitionists. While uncertain as to the best way for him to choose, Mr. Higson happened on one occasion to hear Mr. Lincoln in a public discussion of national issues, and at once allied himself with the Republican party. Mr. Higson was brought up under the influences of the Church of England. He is a communicating member of the Protestant Episcopal church of Johnstown and a member of its vestry. For more than twenty-five year, he has been a member of Emory Fisher Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and has filled all the offices of that organization except that of commander, which lack of time has made it impossible for him to accept.
On March 25, 1864, John Higson married Anna Eliza Paxson, daughter of Joseph and Catherine (Jacquette) Paxson, then of Elmira, New York. Mr. Paxson was a Philadelphian, and had gone to Elmira to take charge as master mason of the brick construction of the Elmira Iron Works. He afterward became a permanent resident of that city, and is now retired from active pursuits. He was born of English parents, and his father, Samuel Paxson, possessed considerable means. Catherine Jacquette, who married Joseph Paxson, died about 1888. She was a granddaughter of Hazell Pierson Jacquette, a Frenchman who was closely associated with Lafayette, and who eventually settled at Wilmington, Delaware. A sister of Mrs. Higson married Alexander Hamilton, one of the prominent officials of Cambria Iron Company in his time.
Children of John and Ann Eliza (Paxson) Higson: Margaret Catherine Higson, born in Elmira, New York, December 28. 1865; now a teacher in the Hudson street school, Johnstown. Carrie Louise Higson, married C. B. Cover, of whom mention will be found elsewhere in this work. Joseph Paxson Higson, died in infancy. Hazell Pierson Higson, died in infancy. Mary Elizabeth Higson, born January 15, 1873; lives at home. Agues Higson, born in Cumberland, Maryland, September 19, 1877; married Harry Given, who is with the Penn Traffic Company, Johnstown. Alexander Hamilton Higson, born in Johnstown, April 20, 1884; a draughtsman living in Elmira, New York.
Henry Wilson Storey's History of Cambria County, V.III, p.181
HORNER FAMILY. This highly respected family, which counts among its representatives of today Emmett Horner, of Johnstown, was planted in this country by John Horner, who came from England about the middle of the eighteenth century and settled in what is now Washington township, Franklin county, where he owned a farm, grist mill and distillery and carried on a general store, also acting as banker for the community in which be dwelt. During the revolutionary struggle he was actively engaged in the cause of the colonies, as appears from an entry in his old ledger, now in possession of his great-grandson, Emmett Horner, which states that he received, at one time, five hundred and fifty dollars for sitting in the Continental congress. About 1796 he moved to Somerset county, where he purchased a large tract of land which had previously been granted by John Penn and John Penn, Junior, proprietaries of the Province of Pennsylvania, to Peter Snyder. This land was situated on the east side of Stony Creek, about a mile above the mouth of the Little Conemaugh, and included, besides a large run, what was known as 'Solomon Adams' Improvement, in Quemahoning township, then belonging to Bedford county and now constituting the seventh ward of Johnstown, as well as all of Dale borough. The original deed, on parchment, is now held by Mr. Horner, of Dale, and bears the date of May 22, 1776. Emmett Horner still owns twelve lots situated on this land.
Before moving to Somerset county, John Horner, the emigrant, married Susan ----, their children were: Jonas, of whom later; John, Jacob, Adam, Frederick, Christian, Eli, Solomon, Elizabeth, wife of Michael Reade; and another daughter, wife of Jacob Hess. John Horner died in what is now the Seventh ward of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, about 1824.
Jonas Horner, son of John and Susan Horner, was his father's administrator. He owned all that part of Meadowvale now lying east of Messenger street and also a large portion of Dale borough. After his father's death he occupied the homestead, situated on what is now Von Linen's Road, then the state road from Somerset to the Frankstown road. He operated a grist mill, fulling mill and saw mill, and also cultivated a considerable farm. His house was the first brick building erected in Johnstown, being constructed of bricks made on the premises. He and all his sons were renowned hunters. His death occurred in 1854.
Jonas Horner married Martha Fox, who bore him the following children: 1. Jacob C., of whom later. 2. Samuel, born 1817, married Hannah Varner; children: Nathaniel, Aaron, deceased; Henry S., Annie, William Lemon and Erastus, deceased. 3. Elizabeth, wife of David Ferner. 4. Susan, second wife of David Ferner, children by two marriages, Jeremiah, Lucinda, Martha Jane, Austin, David, William and twins. 5. Martha, wife of Airwine Metz; children: Christianna, Jane, deceased; Lucretia; Ceylon H., deceased; Martha, Reuhanna, Lizzie, Ellsworth and Fremont J., deceased. 6. Christina, wife of Adam Koontz; children: Chauncey, Frank Martin, Emma, deceased; and Mary. 7. Jonas B., married Christina Singer; children; Levina, William, David, Benjamin, deceased; Dennis, deceased; Elmira and Mary. 8. Catharine, married Christ Horner.
Jacob C. Horner, son of Jonas and Martha (Fox) Horner, was born May 30, 1812, on the old homestead, where he grew up, obtaining his education, or as much education as was possible under the circumstances, at a school held in a mill situated on the property, the means of tuition being chiefly the New Testament, and some foolscap paper. He assisted his father on the farm and in other enterprises, and with his brothers helped to clear the timber from the land, which was then almost a wilderness. He afterward engaged in the lumber business, furnishing lumber for the construction of the old canal and also for the Cambria Iron Works. He owned twenty-nine acres of farming land in Meadowvale, in addition to a tract at what is now Parkstown, Conemaugh township. At different times he served as constable and held other county offices, among them those of school director and supervisor. Like his father, he was administrator of the estate.
Jacob C. Horner was twice married, his first wife being Caroline Cover, who bore him the following children: Samuel, Sylvester, William, Mary, Harriet, Sarah, Annie, and two others deceased. His second wife was Mary Ann Garland by whom he became the father of five children: Emmett, of whom later: Ida, deceased; Jonas, deceased; Jane, wife of Charles P. Cobaugh; and Harry H., married Lydia Menser; children: Charles, deceased; Lucy, Ralph, Viola, Harry, Eva and Irene.
Emmett Horner, son of Jacob C. and Mary Ann (Garland) Horner, was born November 25, 1859, on the home farm, and received his education in the common schools of his township. He learned the tinner's trade and went into business for himself. After the great flood of 1889, in which nearly all the business interests of Johnstown were destroyed, he found himself the only tinsmith able, at that time, to continue in the exercises of his calling. He is still engaged in the same line of business, having his shop in Bedford street, Dale, and is the owner of considerable property in that borough, which he acquired through his own unaided efforts. In 1892 he was elected justice of the peace, holding the office until 1897. He has also served at different times as auditor. Although owning strict allegiance to no political party, he votes, generally speaking, with the Republicans. He is one of the charter members of the United Brethren church, in the work of which he takes a very active part, having served several terms on the board of trustees.
He married, May 15, 1888, Salina Hillegass, of Bedford county, daughter of Fred J. and Ellen (Hart) Hillegass. She was born March 22, 1866. They have one child, Edna J., born June 23, 1889. She graduated in Dale public schools and at Salix Academy, Adam township, Cambria county; now (1906) a teacher in the graded schools at Daisytown borough.
PRESIDENTS, SOLDIERS, STATESMEN.
JOSEPH C. SHARP
Was born in Indiana county, Pa., April 7, 1848, of parents, John and Mary E. (Cover) Sharp, both living. Dec. 31, 1872, in Johnstown, pa. He united his fortunes for life with Anna J. Barclay, who was born in 1856; her father, Robert Barclay, is still living, but her mother, Mary (Barnhart), is deceased. As the fruit of this marriage ten children were born, John R., Myrtle E., Grace, Walter A., dec., Ralph W., Joseph A., Frances C., Emma S., Lora E. and Mary E. When the Stars and Stripes were hauled from Sumter, he was among the volunteers to enlist when 13 years of age as a private in Co. F, 194th Pa. V.I., July 15, 1863 he was detailed on guard duty at Fells Point, Baltimore, and spent six weeks in this way. In the fall of that year he was detailed to guard Fort No. 3, Baltimore, for same lenth of time. Owing to his detailed service, he did not take part in any battles and was honorably discharged Nov. 6, 1864. Comrade Sharp has been councilman; he is a member of Emery Fisher Post, No. 30; he is by occupation a tinner and his post office address is Johnstown, Pa.
204th Regt (5th HA) Co D
COVER, William Sergt 2 Sep 1864 Mustered out with battery, 30 Jun 1865
1869 Johnstown City Directory